THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning BM3 Flex Fuel Install on F23

12-23-2022, 08:17 AM   #1
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

BM3 Flex Fuel Install on F23

Hi Everyone,

I just installed a BM3 Flex Fuel adapter in my F23. There is a lot of great info on how to install this kit, but the EKP module is not behind the right side rear bolster like it is in the F22. In the convertible it is in the trunk on the right side pass through. To get to it you have to remove the right trunk covering in the pass through and the front part of the right rear trunk liner. This makes the install slightly more difficult that the F22 but not too much. The Kies Motorsport video I thought was great to assist with install.

Some things to note:

1) There is not a lot of extra cable to the flex fuel sensor in the F23. You will have to try and route the wire to the sensor as directly as possible and under the sound deadening pad in the back. I made a slit in mine so I could get the sensor through the hole where the child seat hook is. Make sure it is not taught and lies flat under the seat.

2) The depth under the trunk liner pieces to accommodate the CANBUS transceiver (the BM3 box) is limited. I ended up putting some double sided tape on the box and putting it directly in front of the EKP module. Should have taken pictures (sorry), but at this point I just wanted to get the car back together.

3) You don't have to remove the right trunk liner piece. I only took out the two most front fasteners and that was enough to fold the liner to access the EKP module. The connector is not super accessible unfortunately.

Overall I am very happy with the kit from PTF. The adapter is very well made and fits nicely in the space over the fuel pump. In dash controls are nice for viewing the ethanol content. The biggest benefit of course is not having to estimate fill amounts of E85 to get the mix you want. Also of course nice to have in case you need to fill up where E85 isn't near by.

Below is a pic of the EKP module location in the F23 and where I routed the sensor cable:
Attached Images

12-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #2
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just installed a BM3 Flex Fuel adapter in my F23. There is a lot of great info on how to install this kit, but the EKP module is not behind the right side rear bolster like it is in the F22. In the convertible it is in the trunk on the right side pass through. To get to it you have to remove the right trunk covering in the pass through and the front part of the right rear trunk liner. This makes the install slightly more difficult that the F22 but not too much. The Kies Motorsport video I thought was great to assist with install.

Some things to note:

1) There is not a lot of extra cable to the flex fuel sensor in the F23. You will have to try and route the wire to the sensor as directly as possible and under the sound deadening pad in the back. I made a slit in mine so I could get the sensor through the hole where the child seat hook is. Make sure it is not taught and lies flat under the seat.

2) The depth under the trunk liner pieces to accommodate the CANBUS transceiver (the BM3 box) is limited. I ended up putting some double sided tape on the box and putting it directly in front of the EKP module. Should have taken pictures (sorry), but at this point I just wanted to get the car back together.

3) You don't have to remove the right trunk liner piece. I only took out the two most front fasteners and that was enough to fold the liner to access the EKP module. The connector is not super accessible unfortunately.

Overall I am very happy with the kit from PTF. The adapter is very well made and fits nicely in the space over [...]
Good right up. The forum last information on F23 glad you wrote this up for anyone in the future who plans to do work on their F23
      01-03-2023, 05:19 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 09:12 PM   #4
beemerboy1982
Registered