THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Squeaky brakes at very low speeds

11-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #23
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesat View Post
im having a clunk when i brake during reverse.
The clunk in reverse may be a self-diagnostic mode of the ABS system - happens on some cars not sure about BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
overcoil
Major General
Rep

If your getting brake squeal from a pair of brakes it may be the honing effect of break in, and dealers may tell you high-performance brakes squeal.
Two thing you can try before going to dealer: 1) back-up more often and apply brakes while reversing. 2) on a wet surface apply brakes hard enough to activate the ABS

Lots of techs think that if an owner is using their brakes like a limo driver, the tech on a test drive trying to duplicate the noise will attempt some hard braking to bed in the pad disc surface, so you might as well try it yourself if you hadn't already.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #25
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
OK, why would my 228 be squeak free for first 5500 miles, then start squealing like a stuck Pig. Only change has been a huge drop in outside temperature
      11-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #26
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
OK, why would my 228 be squeak free for first 5500 miles, then start squealing like a stuck Pig. Only change has been a huge drop in outside temperature

Unless it's a shifted pad which would most likely squeal when brakes are not applied or debris that would most likely squeal when brakes aren't applied- then the noise is either brake pad to rotor surface or pad vibration. Pad vibration is normally fixed by brake-pad paste between back of pad and brake piston.
Mercedes put out a bulletin saying not to use brake-cleaner on their rotors, that a type of emulsifier effect between pad & rotor dust along with brake cleaner causes a poor contact surface and potential noise.

Anyway some hard braking can sometimes clean the brake surfaces and eliminate noise. Leisure driving and cold temps, or a contamination of the brake pad matrix, debris?
Doubt a wheel bearing went bad and the bearing is metal to metal when the brakes are applied.

If it's just one axle you can run your fingernail across the front and rear axle disc surface to detect any obvious differences.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #27
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I've got both the squeak and the clunk with my m sport 228i.

The squeak is intermittent from the rears...started when the weather got cold...doesn't do it often enough for me to care.

I've read the clunk is the pad moving within the caliper when switching directions...which is exactly when I hear the clunk...upon the first brake tap in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #28
Declio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Bumping an old thread. My car has around 650 miles on it and the brake squeal at low speeds seems to have gotten worse. To anyone in this thread or anyone now--have you noted the need to bed the brakes repeatedly?

Any others experiencing low speed brake squeal (like going through a drivethrough, or parking).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #29
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declio View Post
Bumping an old thread. My car has around 650 miles on it and the brake squeal at low speeds seems to have gotten worse. To anyone in this thread or anyone now--have you noted the need to bed the brakes repeatedly?

Any others experiencing low speed brake squeal (like going through a drivethrough, or parking).
Thanks for bumping this. I'm having the same issue as described in the original post. At low speeds, using the brakes gently I get a squeal. Car has 1200 miles on it and I just started hearing it last week. Will probably do some hard braking like peopl have suggested if this noise continues.

Hoping more people chime in.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #30
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Google "brake pad bed in procedure". There are tons of articles on the net about this. You can even search YouTube as well. I would say make the time to find a nice curvy road and flog your car a bit to get those brakes a workout. Your car usually tells you when you aren't driving it as intended. It is a Bimmer after all.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #31
135iWashDC
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Same thing on the 123d's and 135i's

I had a 123d with the same problem and the same thing again with my 135i. The 123d got fixed (this was while living in France) for a cost of about 50 euros. Before that, I had to bring it into the shop three times. What they did I don't know because my automoto-speaking French is pretty poor.

Fast forward to the US with my 135i, and my dealer has replaced my rear braking system TWICE and it's still going on. They say it's normal, I say that's BS. I wish I knew what those French mechanics did.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #32
Silpheed428i
Registered
Rep
Drives: White 428i RWD Convertible

BMW 428i MSport Brake squeal

My car fitted with M Sport brakes have been squeaking since i got it with 19,000 miles on the clock. Low speed squeal when applying light pressure coming to a stop. Stupid thing was, it was never there when I test drove the damn thing. Its continuous at that speed and I can make it sing forever if i keep rolling at 5 mph applying the brake gently. Its really irritating and ruins the driving experience of an otherwise bloody amazing car. Got one of my mates to listen from the outside, and they reckon actually its not as loud as it seems when listening from the roadside than being inside with the windows rolled down. Still something I could really really do without.

I've got an appt with BMW next week. They tried to lay the burnishing the brakes blah blah and city driving in london builds up dust blah blah. Unfortunately, I have burnished the brakes and the noise always comes back. I've told them to have a good look and also apply some brake quiet compound along with lubing up the bolts etc. Fingers crossed they are able to sort it out, but from all the posts I've been reading, BMW themselves are pretty useless at sorting this issue out. Would much rather trust a respected small workshop who are willing to try a few things than a global corporate giant to sort out these little issues, but feel need to get BMW to look at it once to make sure there are no glaring issues.

Will let you guys know how I get on.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #33
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silpheed428i View Post
My car fitted with M Sport brakes have been squeaking since i got it with 19,000 miles on the clock. Low speed squeal when applying light pressure coming to a stop. Stupid thing was, it was never there when I test drove the damn thing. Its continuous at that speed and I can make it sing forever if i keep rolling at 5 mph applying the brake gently. Its really irritating and ruins the driving experience of an otherwise bloody amazing car. Got one of my mates to listen from the outside, and they reckon actually its not as loud as it seems when listening from the roadside than being inside with the windows rolled down. Still something I could really really do without.

I've got an appt with BMW next week. They tried to lay the burnishing the brakes blah blah and city driving in london builds up dust blah blah. Unfortunately, I have burnished the brakes and the noise always comes back. I've told them to have a good look and also apply some brake quiet compound along with lubing up the bolts etc. Fingers crossed they are able to sort it out, but from all the posts I've been reading, BMW themselves are pretty useless at sorting this issue out. Would much rather trust a respected small workshop who are willing to try a few things than a global corporate giant to sort out these little issues, but feel need to get BMW to look at it once to make sure there are no glaring issues.

Will let you guys know how I get on.
Greetings from a fellow Londoner - it reads like your brakes need bedding in or re-bedded-in. Have a go at doing the following in sequence shown:-
  • Light braking to warm the pads and discs.
  • 8-10 hard stops*, 60-5mph in quick succession.
    * Hard stop means getting to the point of ABS intervention, but not actually triggering. Brake pressure must be released as you approach stop - do not stop the car after each deceleration.
  • Repeat the above but at higher speed deceleration, say 80-10.
  • Drive for several miles afterwards to let the brakes cool.
The reason for the above is to get the disc and pad temperatures high enough to achieve even transfer of pad material to the faces of the disc.

I did this after my upgrading to MPBBK and M4 sport pads on my m135i -no issues.

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..

Last edited by Bee Pee; 06-06-2016 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 5
      05-29-2016, 05:15 AM   #34
Silpheed428i
Registered
Rep

Thanks for your reply. I will try bedding then in again with the above suggestion. I've done 40 to 5 before repeating 8 times. Noise came back tho.
Being a fellow Londoner, I always have a hard time finding somewhere safe to bed in the brakes. Motorways and dual carriage ways seem too dangerous. Do you have any suggestions? Will still have the car looked at by bmw on Thursday. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #35
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Long straight road early in the morning is best advice I can give you

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #36
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I have had this problem with aftermarket pads, if that is worth anything (EBC Yellows). They are significantly more aggressive than stock though, so its not really that odd for them.

I never had low speed squeaking from the stock pads though. I would agree that you should attempt to re-bed the brakes. 10 stops in rapid succession from 60-20 should do it for the stock pads. When you start to smell them, back off and let them cool.

I would also recommending changing how you brake, as I did with the EBC Yellows. Try to not feather the brake when you can, instead either brake, or don't brake (don't slam on them necessarily, but press the pedal in until you can feel some resistance/bite). Higher performance pads (and yes, the BMW pads count) do not like feather-braking. They like being either on, or off.
      05-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #37
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

That must be why I've never had squeaky brakes.I only break when I want to lose a lot of speed. Coasting works for slowing down too.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #38
Silpheed428i
Registered
Rep

Thanks guys. I do my best not to feather the brakes as much as possible. I suppose I do sometimes, thats just the unpredictable london traffic though. Will definitely try harder not to.

Ive attached a link to a youtube vid of my 428i squealing like a piggy when slow braking.

[u2b]https://youtu.be/VZ00tXPyevk[/u2b]

Right so, my Bimmer is in with BMW since this morning. SA was very nice and explained the usual. He said the best they could do on pads that do not need changing are to deglaze them and wash down the brake mechanisms properly. He said maybe to the brake quiet/copper compound. He told me they also ensure adequate lubrication after looking at the brakes too. I will let you guys know the results once I get the car back. All day job apparently!

Also really annoyed at myself this morning. Managed to spill about 300mls of coffee over the passenger seat of my 428i convertible on the way to the dealership. Told BMW about it and they said they would try and dry it off best they could. Fingers crossed the electronics aren't completely messed up. <<<--- such a douchbag.

Last edited by Silpheed428i; 06-02-2016 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #39
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Just so u know the whole DE-GLAZE that dealer will do, is just drive the car hard and use the brakes hard. it's what we do here at the dealer as it is the technical repair for this issue.
Yes a small squeal/squeak at low speeds is very common on these cars. See it more on city drivers in stop and go traffic.
Best thing u can do is get out some where u can get the vehicle up to high way speeds with no one around u... and hit the brakes hard a bunch of times... get those brakes good and hot multiple times... What i like to do right after driving it like this, is rinse the wheel, brake caliper, rotor and backing plate in some wheel cleaner than wash it all off real good on all 4 wheels..
This usually helps 99% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #40
Silpheed428i
Registered
Rep

Great news, car back from BMW today. Squeak is now gone! completely!

They found the problem was actually at the back brakes. They "deglazed" and chamfered the edges of the pads and even applied copper compound - hooray! Have been given instructions not to wash the vehicle for 10 days to allow the compound to set. Pity as they must have parked it under a tree cos a tonne of bird doodah over the back. Also advised to re-bed in brakes for 150 miles. Their instructions were: no feathering, no hard braking. coast brake or slow brake only. They also said to drive with the top down or with someone in the back seat as much as possible during this time - apparently the rear brakes do not kick in properly unless this happens.

Also thankfully, coffee has damaged no electronics and they has dried out the seat. Faint smell of coffee in the cabin, but I'm sure that will ebb away with time.

Overall, very happy, but lets see if the squeal stays away!

Of note: they found the video I gave them on a USB very helpful in diagnosing the issue and taking it seriously. I would definitely recommend doing this to avoid "we were unable to reproduce the problem" issues.

Unfortunately was not covered under the warranty or 5 year service plan on the car. £180 quid all in. Well worth it to me if the brake squeal stays away!! After dropping 30K on the thing, it really is peanuts. Now this car really is perfect.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #41
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
This shit is driving me nuts
      03-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #42
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

My new M240i has some low speed brake squeak too. My previous new M3's never had this. I'll try to do some high speed bedding when the rain ceases out here...probably in July.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #43
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Brake Squealing: - If you have attempted to do the Brake Bed in procedure or De-glazing as its sometimes called by driving and applying the brakes multiple times harshly and getting them hot and are still having squealing issues The brake pads need to be pulled out from the vehicle and you need to chamfer the edges down. The Dealer Should be able to do this for you under warranty - if your vehicle is still under warranty. There is a procedure for them to follow that BMW has sent out in regards to this on-going issue. The Edges of the brake pads tend to collect dirt and debris which is sometimes hard to remove just by brake application and onces its on their they tend to make contact with the rotor causing the squealing noise.

Clunking from brakes - Have came across this a few times now at the dealer. more so on vehicles like X6M and M5 that have the larger brakes calipers. The clunk you are hearing is the brake pads them selves moving around on the slider pins and against the rotor. BMW has addressed this issue by making an upgrade to the newer brake pad that has an adhesive which is made to stick to the caliper pistons to prevent the pads from moving around.
I will take a look to tomorrow morning when im at work to see if i can find the actual document showing this, i dont know for sure if it is for F22 and F3x cars but i do know i have done them on X5M/X6M cars before.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      03-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #44
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
Brake Squealing: - If you have attempted to do the Brake Bed in procedure or De-glazing as its sometimes called by driving and applying the brakes multiple times harshly and getting them hot and are still having squealing issues The brake pads need to be pulled out from the vehicle and you need to chamfer the edges down. The Dealer Should be able to do this for you under warranty - if your vehicle is still under warranty. There is a procedure for them to follow that BMW has sent out in regards to this on-going issue. The Edges of the brake pads tend to collect dirt and debris which is sometimes hard to remove just by brake application and onces its on their they tend to make contact with the rotor causing the squealing noise.

Clunking from brakes - Have came across this a few times now at the dealer. more so on vehicles like X6M and M5 that have the larger brakes calipers. The clunk you are hearing is the brake pads them selves moving around on the slider pins and against the rotor. BMW has addressed this issue by making an upgrade to the newer brake pad that has an adhesive which is made to stick to the caliper pistons to prevent the pads from moving around.
I will take a look to tomorrow morning when im at work to see if i can find the actual document showing this, i dont know for sure if it is for F22 and F3x cars but i do know i have done them on X5M/X6M cars before.
He is spot on and if the chamfer does not work the pads need replacing. I have owned 3 135is, M3, 1M and now a 240i. Ive done the whole Bs brake service, bedding etc and it never worked! The noises always came back! I have had to replace the pads on the 135is 3-4 times overall ( always the fronts) and all had under 12,000kms. The M3 was fine and lol the 1M had warped rotors at 7000kms but no squealing.

My point is brakes are a real issue with BMW! : So if chamfer does not work get new pads and move on. Also I live in Canada where brakes are not nor have ever been covered so consider yourselves lucky in the US

So when I bought the 240i I put aside about $1000 for new pads lmfao bc I just expect this to happen again.

It is also worth noting that after the pads were replaced in my cases the noises were gone for good so who the f knows.

Hope this helps

Appreciate 0