THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Which brakes for Track + Daily?

01-23-2023, 02:02 AM   #1
omerakz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220D F22, Mazda MX5 ND

Garage List
2014 BMW 220d  [0.00]
Which brakes for Track + Daily?

Hello all,

I am driving 220d for daily and track days.

I have M-Sport brakes + Goodridge steel brake lines installed and brake performance is really good for track.

I bought a set of Zimmermann Sport disks and ATE Original brake pads.

After 6-7 months of driving, 5-6 track days, front pads are almost finished.

I am planning to change pads but I could not decide which way to go:

1- Buy average pads (FERODO, Textar, Icer etc.), because ATE did not last long so no need to pay more
2- Buy race pads (EBC Yellow, Pagid etc.) so they will last longer, but probably disks won't be happy about it
3- Buy race disks and race pads, so they will perform better and last longer than it cost

I want to go for a cost effective option, because it is also a daily car, I don't want to waste expensive disks and pads.

I have no experience with race disks & pads, so I don't know how long they last for daily + track use.

I don't want to buy cheap brakes, I just want to buy brakes that will last long for its price.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 07:40 AM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Pads that are good on the track, are not good on the road. And the opposite is also true. It has to do with high or low temperature ranges the pads will see.

Best thing would be to buy 2 sets and swap them before track days.. and I'm assuming tire compounds as well.

I don't track my car so maybe someone with more experience can comment more detailed info.
Appreciate 1
omerakz11.00
      01-23-2023, 09:38 PM   #3
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

Im really pleased with my Paragon Brakes and EBC Yellows. They were dreadfully loud during break in, but they're perfectly fine for daily driving after being bedded.
Appreciate 1
omerakz11.00
      01-24-2023, 07:03 PM   #4
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

I run the ebc blue ndx daily. They work hot or cold, rainy days or track days, they're quiet, and they're supposedly easy on rotors. You can stick with the cheap rotors, they don't make much of a difference. I ran the yellows for a while but they rusted to the rotors all the time and caused pulsations for a while until you wore the rust spot off again. Wasn't real impressed with that.
Appreciate 1
omerakz11.00
      01-25-2023, 05:03 PM   #5
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerakz View Post
Hello all,

I am driving 220d for daily and track days.

I have M-Sport brakes + Goodridge steel brake lines installed and brake performance is really good for track.

I bought a set of Zimmermann Sport disks and ATE Original brake pads.

After 6-7 months of driving, 5-6 track days, front pads are almost finished.

I am planning to change pads but I could not decide which way to go:

1- Buy average pads (FERODO, Textar, Icer etc.), because ATE did not last long so no need to pay more
2- Buy race pads (EBC Yellow, Pagid etc.) so they will last longer, but probably disks won't be happy about it
3- Buy race disks and race pads, so they will perform better and last longer than it cost

I want to go for a cost effective option, because it is also a daily car, I don't want to waste expensive disks and pads.

I have no experience with race disks & pads, so I don't know how long they last for daily + track use.

I don't want to buy cheap brakes, I just want to buy brakes that will last long for its price.

Thanks!
Hey wanted to share what I’m running.
For rotors I went with Stoptech high carbon slotted rotors and have had no issues with them at all.

For pads you could run EBC red (although they don’t recommend it for the track it is the most daily friendly and you can still get decent braking even when pushing it to the limits) I would also recommend hawk5.0 pads they are also another great option.
      01-26-2023, 01:09 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Ferodo DS2500 if you want to run just one set of pads. If you rather have track pads but still want a very good pad for street duty, get DS1.11 for the track and run the DS2500 on the street. No need to bed-in when swapping those two pads.
Appreciate 1
omerakz11.00
      01-26-2023, 03:05 PM   #7
omerakz
Private
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 220d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Ferodo DS2500 if you want to run just one set of pads. If you rather have track pads but still want a very good pad for street duty, get DS1.11 for the track and run the DS2500 on the street. No need to bed-in when swapping those two pads.
Do you think DS2500 will last long enough? Since i dont have a lift, i cant swap them myself, so swapping pads evert track day will be a big job for me.

This is why i am planning to use 1 set, so i want it to last long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingling View Post
Hey wanted to share what I’m running.
For rotors I went with Stoptech high carbon slotted rotors and have had no issues with them at all.

For pads you could run EBC red (although they don’t recommend it for the track it is the most daily friendly and you can still get decent braking even when pushing it to the limits) I would also recommend hawk5.0 pads they are also another great option.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
I run the ebc blue ndx daily. They work hot or cold, rainy days or track days, they're quiet, and they're supposedly easy on rotors. You can stick with the cheap rotors, they don't make much of a difference. I ran the yellows for a while but they rusted to the rotors all the time and caused pulsations for a while until you wore the rust spot off again. Wasn't real impressed with that.
But what about track use? I ran EBC Green before, and they are not that good for track i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
Im really pleased with my Paragon Brakes and EBC Yellows. They were dreadfully loud during break in, but they're perfectly fine for daily driving after being bedded.
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Pads that are good on the track, are not good on the road. And the opposite is also true. It has to do with high or low temperature ranges the pads will see.

Best thing would be to buy 2 sets and swap them before track days.. and I'm assuming tire compounds as well.

I don't track my car so maybe someone with more experience can comment more detailed info.
Swapping them every track day is not an option for me right now. Thanks for the info, i think i have to go for a "sport" pads and rotors.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 07:00 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Do you think DS2500 will last long enough? Since i dont have a lift, i cant swap them myself, so swapping pads evert track day will be a big job for me.

This is why i am planning to use 1 set, so i want it to last long

Thanks!

But what about track use? I ran EBC Green before, and they are not that good for track i think.

Thanks for the info

Swapping them every track day is not an option for me right now. Thanks for the info, i think i have to go for a "sport" pads and rotors.
If you are going to use just one set of pads for both street and the track, Ferodo is your best choice at the moment. Other track pads are just way too abrasive or have no bite when cold.

Let us know if you don't have a source where you are for the DS2500. We do ship worldwide.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4347.50
      01-28-2023, 07:02 PM   #9
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
The blue ndx is a race pad, the greens are a basic street pad, "not ideal for track use" on their website, seems to be the bottom of their lineup.

Last edited by jb-slow; 01-28-2023 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
omerakz11.00
      02-17-2023, 04:42 PM   #10
omerakz
Private
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 220d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
If you are going to use just one set of pads for both street and the track, Ferodo is your best choice at the moment. Other track pads are just way too abrasive or have no bite when cold.

Let us know if you don't have a source where you are for the DS2500. We do ship worldwide.
I have these options in Turkiye:
EBC, Pagid (Street+ and racing), ATE Classic

And cheap options are:
Ferodo (not DS ones), Textar, Bosch (worst i guess)

What do you think about Pagid Street+ ?

I will check the prices for DS2500, i really wanted to try them. Thanks for your support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
The blue ndx is a race pad, the greens are a basic street pad, "not ideal for track use" on their website, seems to be the bottom of their lineup.
Thanks for the info, i will take a look 👍
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 07:35 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have these options in Turkiye:
EBC, Pagid (Street+ and racing), ATE Classic

And cheap options are:
Ferodo (not DS ones), Textar, Bosch (worst i guess)

What do you think about Pagid Street+ ?

I will check the prices for DS2500, i really wanted to try them. Thanks for your support

Thanks for the info, i will take a look 👍
have no experience with the Pagid Street+. EBC makes a great street/sport pad.
Appreciate 1
omerakz11.00