THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Big Brake Kit?

07-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Big Brake Kit?

Anyone running a big brake kit on the M235i?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Really no point, stock calipers are more than adequate, race pads or street track pads improve byte. Not sure what your after. But for street use like flushing $$$ down the drain
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Yes - I diy'd f3x m sport blue 370mm calipers, mppk rotor F&R, HEL ss lines, m4 sport pads F and mpbbk rear pads and dot 5.1 BF.

Car was coded by dealer and this improved the feel at the top of the pedal. Initially, prior to coding, pedal feel was a bit too binary and now it's very easy to modulate.

Brakes are good to start with and as mentioned already, ss lines and pads on standard will be an improvement.

The big dinner plates behind my 18" wheels do look very very nice though !

Current '22 X3M LCI..

Last edited by Bee Pee; 07-11-2016 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

I'd be curious to know if anyone has considered/tried caddy ctsv brembo 6/4 pot upgrade on an f series

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-CTS...7CSubmodel%3AV

Seems like a lot of brakes for the money and have same lug mounting as oem

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

I've seen (sort of, on a different forum) a guy run StopTech ST60 BBK front and ST40 rear on m235iX. Must be really sweet, though expensive, probably well over $5000. He had to use some custom-made adapters to fit the rear, though.
I'm really fond of StopTech, use their BBK on my other car and honestly think they're in an entirely different league compared to our m235's Brembo kit. Fitting them onto m235 seems a bit too complicated and cost prohibitive, though.

Last edited by x233; 07-10-2016 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Depending on what you are doing with your car.

You will get a large rotor so that means better cooling. Pedal feel will improve as well.

If you are only doing some track days on street tires, upgrade pads and high temp fluid will do the trick. RS29 is the most popular with very positive results.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
Really no point, stock calipers are more than adequate, race pads or street track pads improve byte. Not sure what your after. But for street use like flushing $$$ down the drain
BBK is just bling on this car. It's not that heavy and not that fast to need a 6 pot/4 pot brake setup. You will be fine with upgraded brake lines, fluid and pads. Stock rotors are fine too. When mine wore out I swapped in slotted stoptech rotors, but the OEM blanks (or any good blank) are fine too.

If you want to run the car on the street, EBC Yellow pads are very good and are reasonably priced. I also use Torque RT 700 brake fluid. Little expensive, but has an extremely high boiling point. The combination of those two additions, along with some stainless lines and new rotors (don't think this made much of a difference, but you never know) definitely firmed up the pedal feel on the car. Try that before getting a BBK.
      07-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
BBK is just bling on this car. It's not that heavy and not that fast to need a 6 pot/4 pot brake setup. You will be fine with upgraded brake lines, fluid and pads. Stock rotors are fine too. When mine wore out I swapped in slotted stoptech rotors, but the OEM blanks (or any good blank) are fine too.

If you want to run the car on the street, EBC Yellow pads are very good and are reasonably priced. I also use Torque RT 700 brake fluid. Little expensive, but has an extremely high boiling point. The combination of those two additions, along with some stainless lines and new rotors (don't think this made much of a difference, but you never know) definitely firmed up the pedal feel on the car. Try that before getting a BBK.
Yes and no, track, driver and setup dependent.

We just had a customer running M4 with Stoptech two-piece floating rotor, Pagid R29 and R-comp tires completed destroyed his rear calipers from heat. Fronts survived. I'll see if posted anything and will link here.

BBK will have a larger diameter and ticker rotor so more thermal capacity, not to mention much better rotor design and air flow. Larger calipers will be stiffer(brand depending) and provide better air flow as well. Mass reduction is another benefit of a BBK.

Again, you may not need a BBK, but we don't know the intended use of your car and set-up.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #9
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post

We just had a customer running M4 with Stoptech two-piece floating rotor, Pagid R29 and R-comp tires completed destroyed his rear calipers from heat. Fronts survived. I'll see if posted anything and will link here.

BBK will have a larger diameter and ticker rotor so more thermal capacity, not to mention much better rotor design and air flow. Larger calipers will be stiffer(brand depending) and provide better air flow as well. Mass reduction is another benefit of a BBK.

Again, you may not need a BBK, but we don't know the intended use of your car and set-up.
Larger caliper pistons will provide more clamping pressure on the axle, and therefore increase the braking performance of that axle, providing the tires and suspension are able to transfer that brake torque to the road.

If the caliper pistons are too large for the application, they’re likely to cause excessive pedal travel and an adverse change in front to rear balance resulting in longer stopping distances. It is also possible that clamping forces can become so strong that pre-mature lock-up will occur, making brake modulation difficult.

Could have been the issue with your customer, only upgrading the fronts.

Even on the m235i race car, which has the same brakes, most drivers are very fond of the brakes. Pads, lines and fluid, your good. Show me an abs delete, brake bias controller with 2 master cylinders and we'll talk. Otherwise I doubt the gains would not be much if any track or elsewhere.

I have overheated my font calipers, there greenish now, and it was 100 percent my fault from overdriving the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Larger caliper pistons will provide more clamping pressure on the axle, and therefore increase the braking performance of that axle, providing the tires and suspension are able to transfer that brake torque to the road.

If the caliper pistons are too large for the application, they’re likely to cause excessive pedal travel and an adverse change in front to rear balance resulting in longer stopping distances. It is also possible that clamping forces can become so strong that pre-mature lock-up will occur, making brake modulation difficult.

Could have been the issue with your customer, only upgrading the fronts.

Even on the m235i race car, which has the same brakes, most drivers are very fond of the brakes. Pads, lines and fluid, your good. Show me an abs delete, brake bias controller with 2 master cylinders and we'll talk. Otherwise I doubt the gains would not be much if any track or elsewhere.

I have overheated my font calipers, there greenish now, and it was 100 percent my fault from overdriving the car.

Master cylinder capacity is always referenced when AP, Brembo or Stoptech, just name a few, design their big brake kits with multi piston calipers. Premature front ABS activation is almost none existence these days with name brand kits. Given the same pedal pressure multi piston design requires less fluid volume than a single piston, in this case 6 piston BBK caliper vs 4 piston OE, more often than not clamping force is increased. 6 piston calipers can also distribute the clamping force more evenly than a 4 piston caliper.

OE style Brembo likely has aluminum pistons as well(I have not checked the F chassis, but highly likely as they are much cheaper). We all know very well how quickly heat will can transfer with aluminum and that means overheating of the fluid.

Correct me if I am wrong. The European M235i racing series spec out PFC 4 piston front calipers and 370mm floating rotors vs the OE 340mm. I don't know the specs on the thickness of the rotors, but they are likely at least 35mm vs OE 30mm. The cars are also a 2-300 pounds lighter.

http://www.bmw-motorsport.com/dam/bm...download.0.pdf

There is another benefit with certain brand and/or type of BBK, not the painted variety, but anodized. There will be no color change that you are talking bout.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #11
Pparana
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Master cylinder capacity is always referenced when AP, Brembo or Stoptech, just name a few, design their big brake kits with multi piston calipers. Premature front ABS activation is almost none existence these days with name brand kits. Given the same pedal pressure multi piston design requires less fluid volume than a single piston, in this case 6 piston BBK caliper vs 4 piston OE, more often than not clamping force is increased. 6 piston calipers can also distribute the clamping force more evenly than a 4 piston caliper.

OE style Brembo likely has aluminum pistons as well(I have not checked the F chassis, but highly likely as they are much cheaper). We all know very well how quickly heat will can transfer with aluminum and that means overheating of the fluid.

Correct me if I am wrong. The European M235i racing series spec out PFC 4 piston front calipers and 370mm floating rotors vs the OE 340mm. I don't know the specs on the thickness of the rotors, but they are likely at least 35mm vs OE 30mm. The cars are also a 2-300 pounds lighter.

http://www.bmw-motorsport.com/dam/bm...download.0.pdf

There is another benefit with certain brand and/or type of BBK, not the painted variety, but anodized. There will be no color change that you are talking bout.
your right, PFC calipers, rotors. I am not saying big brake kits are the devil, they need to be properly designed and work as a system, IE I would be doing all 4 as opposed to just front.

Personally I find the oem calipers with Castrol SRF, and Porterfield R4 Pads, ss lines all I would need on track, pedal modulation, control, feel and fade are superior. That is a heavily modded car on r comps, or slicks and 405 hp at wheel. Consumables are cheap, and I am happy. I just cant see spending 5k for minimal increase in performance on this car. Some cars like a BRZ, its cheaper to run big brakes, I just do not see the math working out on this one. They look pretty awesome though.

What part of SB are you in?, I lived out there for a few years.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

I'd do a BBK on the rear only. Even the m235iR race cars are running stock front brakes.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
your right, PFC calipers, rotors. I am not saying big brake kits are the devil, they need to be properly designed and work as a system, IE I would be doing all 4 as opposed to just front.

Personally I find the oem calipers with Castrol SRF, and Porterfield R4 Pads, ss lines all I would need on track, pedal modulation, control, feel and fade are superior. That is a heavily modded car on r comps, or slicks and 405 hp at wheel. Consumables are cheap, and I am happy. I just cant see spending 5k for minimal increase in performance on this car. Some cars like a BRZ, its cheaper to run big brakes, I just do not see the math working out on this one. They look pretty awesome though.

What part of SB are you in?, I lived out there for a few years.
They are all balanced systems so you can upgrade the front, then the rear later down the road.

We are in DT SB, on Garden street near the 101.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 12:06 AM   #14
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

So...who's going to be the baller and put the Brembo 385 6 piston kit on the front?
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
So...who's going to be the baller and put the Brembo 385 6 piston kit on the front?
Someone will...just wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #16
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Quote:
Someone will...just wait.
I will gladly take Donations and install them with pictures and write-up
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #17
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

Wonder if the M4 had stability control on and that why his rears got so hot. Meaning the car was applying rear brakes a lot because of the stability control. Just a thought.

Few questions for you HP as I'm trying to get the 235 sorted for the upcoming fall track days...

Pagid lists 3 different pads for the front of the 235.

1 is for the m235i race car setup.

The other 2 are these:
BMW M235i [F22]
MY13 -
4931 - Front

and

BMW M235i
MY16 -
2688 - Front

Why the different part #'s? I never heard that the MY16 has a different caliper.

Does anyone make (or do you sell) an OEM size two piece rotor for the 235? Girodisc has one for the BMW E9X 335I. Don't think those will work for us though.

Thank you.

Last edited by Anthony235; 07-22-2016 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #18
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

No, the e nannies aren't on at the time of the failure.

We carry the RS29's and they do not carry the part#'s you are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Wonder if the M4 had stability control on and that why his rears got so hot. Meaning the car was applying rear brakes a lot because of the stability control. Just a thought.

Few questions for you HP as I'm trying to get the 235 sorted for the upcoming fall track days...

Pagid lists 3 different pads for the front of the 235.

1 is for the m235i race car setup.

The other 2 are these:
BMW M235i [F22]
MY13 -
4931 - Front

and

BMW M235i
MY16 -
2688 - Front

Why the different part #'s? I never heard that the MY16 has a different caliper.

Does anyone make (or do you sell) an OEM size two piece rotor for the 235? Girodisc has one for the BMW E9X 335I. Don't think those will work for us though.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #19
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
No, the e nannies aren't on at the time of the failure.

We carry the RS29's and they do not carry the part#'s you are referring to.
Interesting because they do list them on their site for the m235i.

No OEM size two piece rotors on the market to your knowledge?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
I'd do a BBK on the rear only. Even the m235iR race cars are running stock front brakes.
As HP Autosport pointed out, the M235iR actually runs a PFC caliper and larger rotors. They do run the same caliper and rotor as the M235i and 228 THP on the rear though.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #21
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
As HP Autosport pointed out, the M235iR actually runs a PFC caliper and larger rotors. They do run the same caliper and rotor as the M235i and 228 THP on the rear though.
I understand that for the racing car.

My confusion is that they list 2 different part #'s for the front of the production m235i.

Go to their site and you will see they list the m235iR once and the m235i twice.

They all have the same rear pad part #, but all 3 have different part #'s for the front.

http://www.pagidracing.com/product-s...s/vehicle.html
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #22
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
No OEM size two piece rotors on the market to your knowledge?
The OEM rotors are 2-piece: they have an aluminum hat and a steel disc...

I think the relative lack of BBK offerings for these cars reflects how good the stock system is.

I'm pretty sure that anything that fits on an E9x will fit on our cars, too. The reason I think so is that I've seen a couple of posts where people are retro-fitting the F30 front M Perf bits (370mm rotors and calipers) to their E90s.

Last edited by rwalker; 08-04-2016 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0