THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Fast blinking turn signal rear

11-16-2023, 02:17 PM   #1
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

Fast blinking turn signal rear

Car is out of warranty. I have a 2019 M240. Pretty sure a tail light needs to be replaced. I've read that the M235's need to be coded but from that's when they upgrade them. If I just get a replacement tail light from the dealer for my car does it have to be programed by them too?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 08:50 AM   #2
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Tail light needs replacement, or just a bulb/lamp is out?

Have you checked the bulbs and fuses? Simple process and I'm sure will avoid unnecessary stealership charges. My experience is with Canbus systems, the fast switching is a signal that the circuit has an issue and is usual the resistance measured meaning a lamp is not there or failed.

Try the simple fixes first!

Tail light is just a housing that holds lamps in place. So there's the lamps, the circuit, or the fuse protecting it. The circuit being compromised is not such a common issue, nor is a fuse blowing on a simple circuit. Is possible, just not so common. Tail light HOUSING would need replacement if it's cracked, or possibly leaking, water entry causing the other noted issues. And that's rare too on a vehicle not so old.

Again, try the bulbs and if not, check fuses...

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 08:38 PM   #3
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Newbie View Post
Car is out of warranty. I have a 2019 M240. Pretty sure a tail light needs to be replaced. I've read that the M235's need to be coded but from that's when they upgrade them. If I just get a replacement tail light from the dealer for my car does it have to be programed by them too?
There are several long threads about this problem on these forums. 235s had a problem with the ground connections in the housing being inadequate and overheating. 240s have a different problem which may or may not even be fixed by replacing the taillight.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1979699
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 12:57 PM   #4
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

Been a little bit since I've been on here. Sorry for the late response. Yes I had the fast blinker for a long while now and it was pretty consistent. Since it wasn't a daily driver I didn't really have to deal with it often.

Anyway, I posted on a facebook page and most felt since I was just going to replace the tail light and wasn't upgrading like the 235's did I could just go plug and play.

Also for what it's worth for the future someone said his was doing the same thing. All he did was remove it and put it back together (most likely the connector) and his was all good. I did this a couple weekends ago and moved around the harness itself since it was kind of bent goofy. I thought back to the Impreza's I used to work on for their front turn signal with their harness getting kinked. Anyway all good now. I haven't had one fast blink In numerous long drives.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 04:54 PM   #5
araviara
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018M240

Arrow 2018 M240 rear tail light blinking fast

Hi , i have a 2018 M240 with 45K miles on it, so not on warranty. I had intermittent rear tail light malfunction message initially. But it has become more often now. Also my rear right tail light is blinking fast. Any options to fix this issue without spending a fortune with BMW dealership?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 09:09 AM   #6
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by araviara View Post
Hi , i have a 2018 M240 with 45K miles on it, so not on warranty. I had intermittent rear tail light malfunction message initially. But it has become more often now. Also my rear right tail light is blinking fast. Any options to fix this issue without spending a fortune with BMW dealership?
Welcome! Did you read the other posts in this thread? Bad bulb, socket or ground usually is the issue, as mentioned above. Please let us know what you find.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0