THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Music bands breakup stories

01-05-2023, 11:30 PM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Heart breakup still gets me. Ann Wilson's husband smacked Nancy Wilson's kid and that became a key reason for them breaking up a few years ago.

Ann Wilson has one of the greatest rock voices IMO and it's too bad they can't seem to get it together as a group. Nancy is great too, but I wouldn't go pay to see her without Ann on the stage too. On the other hand, I saw Ann Wilson's live show in 2022 and she was amazing.

I'd still like to see them bury the hatchet and get back together.
Whoa, that's what happened? Crazy. What the heck was he thinking or is there more to it?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #24
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

This thread reminds me of the Slapstick family tree. I still remember listening to the Broadways thinking, "Damn...the lead singer sounds a LOT like Brendan from Slapstick." Then later listening to Lawrence Arms thinking the same thing again. It wasn't until years later that I figured out why. <insert facepalm>
      01-06-2023, 02:31 PM   #25
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Heard Nancy Wilson's band, Roadcase Royale. Singer's pretty good too, though there will never be another Ann Wilson.
      01-06-2023, 02:33 PM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Another one was Savage Garden, didn't know they broke up until recently, apparently the other guy suddenly got fed-up w stardom and decided to quit w/o consulting the lead singer haha. I dunno what these ppl expect when going for it in a band? Live in obscurity forever??
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 02:39 PM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drama resulted in the breakup of The Bangles and Shakespears Sister, although the latter rebanded, I believe. The Bangles' breakup was quite stupid, at the height of their powers but just due to jealousy of Hoffs' popularity.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-12-2023, 07:09 AM   #28
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep
Drives: F10 550i | E82 135i

Skid Row and Sebastian. Iconic songs and harmony back in the day. Opposite DLR, in their case, it was Seb that made them. I did like Scotti's leads/musicality way over anything Dave played.

2013 F10 550i M-Sport | AC Schnitzer Springs | CMP Chassis Brace | PS4S

2011 E82 135i M-Sport | Evolution Racewerks CP | Stock | Stock | Stock
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 10:01 AM   #29
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Pantera.
That one came as a shock in the worst possible way.
Philip Anselmo being addicted to Heroin and alcohol and refusing to tour or come back and do another album is a shock? Happens to lots of musicians.

When Dimebag was executed on stage that was when he and Vinnie had already started Damageplan and were touring for it's debut album New Found Power.

They even found a guy who kinda sounded like Philip for vocals.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 11:18 AM   #30
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Creed was selling out stadiums when they decided to break up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 12:54 PM   #31
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I'll just add to the DLR/Van Halen comentary that nobody appears to remember that when Van Halen first came out DLR's clear rip off of Black Oak ARkansas Jim Dandy was pretty cringeworthy. Diamond Dave's legacy has kind of eclipsed that in history but it was pretty weird at the time.

Also, Judas Priest has no original members in it. The original line up was four completely different guys that were replaced one by one over the past 54 years. I think Ian Hill is the oldest member and he didn't join up until the band was already a couple of years old.
      01-12-2023, 04:08 PM   #32
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Heart breakup still gets me. Ann Wilson's husband smacked Nancy Wilson's kid and that became a key reason for them breaking up a few years ago.

Ann Wilson has one of the greatest rock voices IMO and it's too bad they can't seem to get it together as a group. Nancy is great too, but I wouldn't go pay to see her without Ann on the stage too. On the other hand, I saw Ann Wilson's live show in 2022 and she was amazing.

I'd still like to see them bury the hatchet and get back together.

Way back in the day, I went to see them at the Mississippi Coast Convention Center.

I walked around the second level and ended up behind the band taking photos of the crowd with the band in the foreground. Nancy was turned around looking for something and noticed me.... not breaking eye contact she climbed up onto a stack of speakers and played to me for the rest of the song.
Appreciate 3
sygazelle11347.00
Esteban43592.00
      01-12-2023, 04:23 PM   #33
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Way back in the day, I went to see them at the Mississippi Coast Convention Center.

I walked around the second level and ended up behind the band taking photos of the crowd with the band in the foreground. Nancy was turned around looking for something and noticed me.... not breaking eye contact she climbed up onto a stack of speakers and played to me for the rest of the song.
Great story.

I never got that close but I've seen them a few times over the years. The last time was Ann Wilson's recent tour without Nancy. Fantastic!

The first time was back in 1974 or so when they were first becoming known. They were opening act at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles. They came on stage and the crowd was milling around and talking like they always do for opening acts. Once Nancy and the band started playing and in started singing, everybody just froze the with exception of their collective jaws dropping, standing in disbelief as these two women blew the roof off the place. (Hint: There was no roof!!) One of my favorite live performance moments.

I hope they get back together.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 06:26 PM   #34
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

bothers me that Steve Perry won't tour with Journey and I'd like to see Roger Waters get back with Pink Floyd.

Tragic that Freddie and Hutchinson died. Love Queen and INXS.

I'd kill to see Knopfler live so it sucks that Dire Straits broke up too. I didn't really appreciate what an amazing guitarist he was when I was younger.
Appreciate 2
dmatre664.50
      01-12-2023, 07:24 PM   #35
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwspice View Post
bothers me that Steve Perry won't tour with Journey and I'd like to see Roger Waters get back with Pink Floyd.

Tragic that Freddie and Hutchinson died. Love Queen and INXS.

I'd kill to see Knopfler live so it sucks that Dire Straits broke up too. I didn't really appreciate what an amazing guitarist he was when I was younger.
Checked Knopfler off the bucket list several years ago at the Wiltern. To quote a fellow concert-goer: “Mozart on guitar”
Appreciate 1
Esteban43592.00
      01-13-2023, 12:19 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Checked Knopfler off the bucket list several years ago at the Wiltern. To quote a fellow concert-goer: “Mozart on guitar”
Yup, some ppl gravitate towards the technical players, shredders, but, to me, these musicians are the real deal, like Lindsey Buckingham said of a certain player being a virtuoso, but what he plays tends to overpower the song, losing sight of the true purpose.

I'm not too familiar w Knopfler but what I heard goes w what I said above, there are just a few who stand out for me: Brian May, SRV, Nuno, the guy from The Eagles (haha, sorry, forgot his name)...I'm forgetting some others.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 12:25 PM   #37
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ Do you mean Joe Walsh?

Here's a great performance by Mark Knopfler, and the whole group:

01-13-2023, 12:45 PM   #38
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
^ Do you mean Joe Walsh?

Here's a great performance by Mark Knopfler, and the whole group:

No, Don Felder.

Yup, to be *melodic* is key to me, I don't care about someone's picking speed.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43592.00
      01-13-2023, 12:48 PM   #39
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
No, Don Felder.

Yup, to be *melodic* is key to me, I don't care about someone's picking speed.
I liked Don Felder and Joe Walsh when they played together, like in Hotel California.
      01-13-2023, 12:50 PM   #40
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I liked Don Felder and Joe Walsh when they played together, like in Hotel California.
For me, it's the solo in I Can't Tell You Why....just wow.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 12:53 PM   #41
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

You’re right that speed doesn’t matter. Look at the great David Gilmour. He didn’t need to play fast, he’s so good.
      01-13-2023, 01:01 PM   #42
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You’re right that speed doesn’t matter. Look at the great David Gilmour. He didn’t need to play fast, he’s so good.
I like MAB, he's a cool and nice dude, but Speed Kills.........the song
Appreciate 1
Esteban43592.00
      01-13-2023, 01:04 PM   #43
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

One of my favorites was Eddie Van Halen, may he rest in peace. And yes, he did play fast. Lol

What a talent.

PS - SoCal boy, just like me. 👍
      01-13-2023, 01:37 PM   #44
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
One of my favorites was Eddie Van Halen, may he rest in peace. And yes, he did play fast. Lol

What a talent.

PS - SoCal boy, just like me. 👍
Ya, he was a god among insects but was the guy Lindsey inadvertently? dissed in my previous post.
Appreciate 0