THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Bootmod3 odyssey and my terrifying lunch

12-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
Catbacker
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Bootmod3 odyssey and my terrifying lunch

So... If you have read my other threads, I am slowly modding my stock 2015 M235i. Installed a new CP and FMIC both from VRSF. Just installed new coils and one-step colder plugs.

Hard part done right? Just need to purchase some tuning software, plug into my car and away we go with a fresh Stage 1 91 octane tune. Simple. Au contraire mon frère. The Bootmod3 bundle I bought from X-PH (Mike's been great by the way) included the software license, all the maps, a cabled OBD to Ethernet adapter, an Ethernet to USB-C adapter, and a Kies WiFi adapter. The different adapters shipped separately so I got the WiFi adapter first. Cool! I thought. Simpler is better. Connect to the Kies generated WiFi network, connect to my car, flash the tune, and out test driving an hour later. Nope. The Kies adapter won't connect to the car except in airplane mode, and if you are in airplane mode, you can't register your vehicle. If you can't register your vehicle, you can't download maps in off-line mode.

So, I decide to wait for the cabled adapters. They arrived yesterday and I decided to try and tune the car at lunch today. I plug the Ethernet to USB-C adapter into my phone this morning and it falls out. I have had issues with charging cords and wondered if always having my phone in my pocket might have generated some sort of lint problem. One dental pick (I am a computer guy by profession. DO NOT use metal instruments to clean you various electronic device ports! Do as I say. Not as I do.), 30 minutes of work, and a half pound of lint later, the adapter will stay plugged into my phone.

I was so excited when lunch rolled around. The software connected to the car. No problem. I was able to apply the license key to authorize the vehicle. Awesome! I thought. Here we go! Tried the transmission flash first. Tried 3 or 4 times and it died at about 3% complete. It did leave a transmission fault code behind. Which was nice. Fortunately, I was able to flash it back to OEM. Then I tried a stage 1 tune. It got up to 30% (multiple tries) before dying and was throwing a suspension fault code. It took 4 attempts to get the stock tune back on. I was terrified that I had bricked it. My wife would have killed me if I had had to have it towed to a BMW dealer (120 miles away) to fix.

I am now a little gun shy. To put it mildly. Beginning to wonder if someone up there doesn't want me to tune my car.... We will see how it goes when I have more time to devote to it. Will post an update when I try again.

Last edited by Catbacker; 12-07-2022 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #2
Jweise26
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Did you hook your car up to a battery charger? Im not sure if that has to do with anything but I just recently put stage 1 on my m235i with no issues.
      12-07-2022, 10:04 PM   #3
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

I don't trust important things to cell phones, try a real computer, I bet it works.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
MechEngineer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbacker View Post
So... If you have read my other threads, I am slowly modding my stock 2015 M235i. Installed a new CP and FMIC both from VRSF. Just installed new coils and one-step colder plugs.

Hard part done right? Just need to purchase some tuning software, plug into my car and away we go with a fresh Stage 1 91 octane tune. Simple. Au contraire mon frère. The Bootmod3 bundle I bought from X-PH (Mike's been great by the way) included the software license, all the maps, a cabled OBD to Ethernet adapter, an Ethernet to USB-C adapter, and a Kies WiFi adapter. The different adapters shipped separately so I got the WiFi adapter first. Cool! I thought. Simpler is better. Connect to the Kies generated WiFi network, connect to my car, flash the tune, and out test driving an hour later. Nope. The Kies adapter won't connect to the car except in airplane mode, and if you are in airplane mode, you can't register your vehicle. If you can't register your vehicle, you can't download maps in off-line mode.

So, I decide to wait for the cabled adapters. They arrived yesterday and I decided to try and tune the car at lunch today. I plug the Ethernet to USB-C adapter into my phone this morning and it falls out. I have had issues with charging cords and wondered if always having my phone in my pocket might have generated some sort of lint problem. One dental pick (I am a computer guy by profession. DO NOT use metal instruments to clean you various electronic device ports! Do as I say. Not as I do.), 30 minutes of work, and a half pound of lint later, the adapter will stay plugged into my phone.

I was so excited when lunch rolled around. The software connected to the car. No problem. I was able to apply the license key to authorize the vehicle. Awesome! I thought. Here we go! Tried the transmission flash first. Tried 3 or 4 times and it died at about 3% complete. It did leave a transmission fault code behind. Which was nice. Fortunately, I was able to flash it back to OEM. Then I tried a stage 1 tune. It got up to 30% (multiple tries) before dying and was throwing a suspension fault code. It took 4 attempts to get the stock tune back on. I was terrified that I had bricked it. My wife would have killed me if I had had to have it towed to a BMW dealer (120 miles away) to fix.

I am now a little gun shy. To put it mildly. Beginning to wonder if someone up there doesn't want me to tune my car.... We will see how it goes when I have more time to devote to it. Will post an update when I try again.

We're in the same boat, I also just put on those bolt ons and flashed stage 1 during my lunch break today haha. I didn't have any issues, I did it through an android phone.

Did you try downloading the maps and doing the flash in offline mode? I'm wondering if the issue is with the network cutting out.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 03:48 PM   #5
Catbacker
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Update

Had some time yesterday afternoon. Flashed the transmission first try with no issues. The tune took two tries and went right through on the second attempt. Yea!!!!! I runs awesome! Now I just need to save up for a new downpipe so I can go Stage 2.
Appreciate 1