THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning faster shifting in 228i

07-26-2021, 12:11 AM   #1
BelugaaF22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i N20

faster shifting in 228i

hi guys,

I was wondering for those with a 228i manual transmission, do you notice the car not reacting fast enough to your shifting when shifting from one gear to another? I would shift and then get on the gas but the car takes a while to catch up then resumes accelerating. is it just the nature of the stock tranny? any way to improve this lag time?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:34 AM   #2
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

I’m afraid it is what it is. It took me years to figure out how to shift smoothly in this car, and it will never be as quick between gear changes as a naturally aspirated motor. Rev-hang is a consequence of environmental regulations on the engine design. Jason from Engineering Explained covered this topic a few months ago on his channel.

It helps a little to wind it out to ~3400rpm’s each time, and you’ll notice the revs drop even quicker if you turn on the air conditioning. I have to readjust the way I shift when the AC is on vs when it’s off— It can be drastic.

It’s a bit disappointing but I’ve also come to appreciate it as a quirk and a challenge. It keeps me engaged and that’s part of what makes driving fun (for me)
      07-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix Track Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelugaaF22 View Post
hi guys,

I was wondering for those with a 228i manual transmission, do you notice the car not reacting fast enough to your shifting when shifting from one gear to another? I would shift and then get on the gas but the car takes a while to catch up then resumes accelerating. is it just the nature of the stock tranny? any way to improve this lag time?
It's an issue with gearing - basically you lose boost when shifting and it takes the car time to build up revs and for boost to build. What rpms are you shifting at? During max acceleration I think you would want to shift close to max revs to land you above 3k rpm after the shift.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #4
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
I’m afraid it is what it is. It took me years to figure out how to shift smoothly in this car, and it will never be as quick between gear changes as a naturally aspirated motor. Rev-hang is a consequence of environmental regulations on the engine design. Jason from Engineering Explained covered this topic a few months ago on his channel.

It helps a little to wind it out to ~3400rpm’s each time, and you’ll notice the revs drop even quicker if you turn on the air conditioning. I have to readjust the way I shift when the AC is on vs when it’s off— It can be drastic.

It’s a bit disappointing but I’ve also come to appreciate it as a quirk and a challenge. It keeps me engaged and that’s part of what makes driving fun (for me)
Agree 10000%.. That AC rev drop can be quite surprising at first to say the least . Caught me off guard when I was first learning the ins and outs of my car.

Anyway, great points made here, and well, not much else to add. Manuals are inherently slower shifting by design so don't expect to blast through gear. I mean you probably can if you just dump the clutch on each shift but please don't do that lol . Be kind to your machine and enjoy the moment.

It's all about the process and nothing beats those perfect shifts, flawless acceleration without a single hiccup all done by your precise inputs. Such a great feeling, wouldn't trade it for the world.
      07-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #5
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

best thing I did for shifts was do the CDV delete mod. shifting is much more direct with out the delay valve. I'd slip the clutch sometimes before the delete. no bueno.

2nd best thing was installing GFB+ diverter valve. this helps hold boots in-between shifts.

second 2nd beat thing was get BM3 tune. after installing the tune I realized the engine holds rpm longer allowing for a smoother shift.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
BelugaaF22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i N20

do you think it's a flywheel issue? I shift at 3k but around 4k under hard acceleration
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #7
Sharpie36
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 228i 6MT slicktop

|= L| [ |< that CDV bro. Pull it out the FIRST chance you get. Just use picks, not the wood screw method. Takes maybe 20 minutes all in, including taking off the under panels. Mad I waited this long.

Appreciate 0