THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Help needed - upgrade from 6.5 to 8.8 display and retrofit nav

04-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #1
dgking99
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Help needed - upgrade from 6.5 to 8.8 display and retrofit nav

I have a 2016 228i coupe that came with the HK audio, no nav and 6.5" screen. The BMW retrofit nav system from Harmon Kardon was installed by the dealer several years ago and has been working fine until now (with the exception of getting updated maps but that is a different story).

I just upgraded the display to an 8.8" screen out of a 2016 228i and used Bimmercode to change the Display Variant to breites_display. For some reason, the display size resolution was set at 10.25_1280x480 so I changed it to 8.8_1280x480. These were the only two changes I made. After coding, the screen works fine with the radio functions and all of the other basic stuff displayed properly but selecting nav just results in a blank screen and nav doesn't even show up in the options for "split screen" view. I changed the resolution back to the original 10.25_1280x480 setting but I'm still getting the blank screen.

I browsed through the other "HU_NBT" expert mode settings (no changes made) and found one item in "3000 HMI" that may have an impact but haven't tried it yet since it is probably only for the factory installed nav system. This item is "NAVI_VARIANT" which is currently set at "keine_navi" which means "none". (The retrofit nav system was working fine with this setting but of course I didn't have split screen capability.)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my nav back?

Thanks,
Don
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
maaii11
Private
Rep
Drives: Mini F54

Hi Sir

Please check those items as below

CID_DISPLAY_RES: 1280_480 [02]
CID_DISPLAY_SIZE: 8_8 [03]
DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION: 8.8_1280x480 [01]
DISPLAY_VARIANTE: breites_display [02]
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
dgking99
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Thanks for the suggestions. I used the search function in Bimmercode but couldn't find any "CID_Display" items in my car.

I already changed Display_Variante to "breites_display" and had tried the 8.8_1280x480 display resolution option. The "breites_display" option was necessary in order to get the display functioning but the resolution setting didn't appear to make any difference. It is now set on 8.8_1280x480 even though it had been 10.25_1280x480 with the original 6.5" screen.

As I said in my original post, HU_NBT, 3000 HMI, NAVI_VARIANTE is currently set at "keine_navi" (none) but could be changed to "US".

There is one more item I found that may help:
HU_NBT, 3004 System Settings - ENT_MODE_NAVIGATION: This one is currently set at not active. The other options are "active" and "Active with authorization".

Sanity check anyone? I can try changing these two but I'm new at coding and don't want to screw up anything. Would changing these cause any problems that couldn't be reversed?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 11:34 AM   #4
Smerke
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

We’re u able to figure it out? I’m having the same issue basically…. Only half of the screen is working
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgking99 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I used the search function in Bimmercode but couldn't find any "CID_Display" items in my car.

I already changed Display_Variante to "breites_display" and had tried the 8.8_1280x480 display resolution option. The "breites_display" option was necessary in order to get the display functioning but the resolution setting didn't appear to make any difference. It is now set on 8.8_1280x480 even though it had been 10.25_1280x480 with the original 6.5" screen.

As I said in my original post, HU_NBT, 3000 HMI, NAVI_VARIANTE is currently set at "keine_navi" (none) but could be changed to "US".

There is one more item I found that may help:
HU_NBT, 3004 System Settings - ENT_MODE_NAVIGATION: This one is currently set at not active. The other options are "active" and "Active with authorization".

Sanity check anyone? I can try changing these two but I'm new at coding and don't want to screw up anything. Would changing these cause any problems that couldn't be reversed?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 02:19 PM   #5
chr0m1ng
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smerke View Post
We’re u able to figure it out? I’m having the same issue basically…. Only half of the screen is working
Same here, anyone have any other clue?
Appreciate 0