THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Track day camber adjustment

01-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #1
tadmcmichael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Track day camber adjustment

There is plenty of info about track and street alignment settings for the front. However, my plan is to adjust to a street setting and then dialing in more camber on track day using my camber plates. One of my buddies did this on his E36 M3 and it worked well.

From the generic information I could find, it looks like 1 degree of extra camber would result in another 0.25 inch of toe out. Does anyone have experience with this for the F22 platform? Some toe out is desirable, but that might be a lot if I am starting at 1/16th toe in.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 07:30 AM   #2
RacerBowie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Several

So I've done this. Repeatedly, and with no tire wear issues.

I have Vorshlag camber plates, otherwise 100% stock. I got the car aligned with -2.9* of camber on both sides and 0.05* of toe in, which on a tape measure with my toe plates basically shows as zero toe.

I took it to the track that way and corded the outside edge of a front in two days (because I got a lot of laps and I was hooning a bit because I'm dumb).

So prepping for the next track day, I checked toe again (still zero) and marked my settings on my camber plates and then adjusted the camber plates from where -2.9* was all (right around halfway on the camber plates) the way up to ALL CAMBERS. Every bit I could get, both sides. On my car that appears to be right at -4.0* on both sides. (I had a lot of trouble getting a decent measurement with my crappy camber gauge)

Then I rolled it around to get things back happy and measured toe again: 0.25cm toed out according to my tape measure, and that's at the end of the toe plates. I did some trigonometry (I'm a communications guy, so yeah...) and per math that equals 0.024* toed out. So barely anything.

So now when I'm gonna go to the track, I slam the camber to all while I'm changing tires and brakes and all is well, and I'm wearing tires more evenly. Then when I'm done I go back to my marks on the camber plates and my street tires are wearing fine too.
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2023, 04:06 PM   #3
tadmcmichael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerBowie View Post
So I've done this. Repeatedly, and with no tire wear issues.

I have Vorshlag camber plates, otherwise 100% stock. I got the car aligned with -2.9* of camber on both sides and 0.05* of toe in, which on a tape measure with my toe plates basically shows as zero toe.

I took it to the track that way and corded the outside edge of a front in two days (because I got a lot of laps and I was hooning a bit because I'm dumb).

So prepping for the next track day, I checked toe again (still zero) and marked my settings on my camber plates and then adjusted the camber plates from where -2.9* was all (right around halfway on the camber plates) the way up to ALL CAMBERS. Every bit I could get, both sides. On my car that appears to be right at -4.0* on both sides. (I had a lot of trouble getting a decent measurement with my crappy camber gauge)

Then I rolled it around to get things back happy and measured toe again: 0.25cm toed out according to my tape measure, and that's at the end of the toe plates. I did some trigonometry (I'm a communications guy, so yeah...) and per math that equals 0.024* toed out. So barely anything.

So now when I'm gonna go to the track, I slam the camber to all while I'm changing tires and brakes and all is well, and I'm wearing tires more evenly. Then when I'm done I go back to my marks on the camber plates and my street tires are wearing fine too.
This is exactly what I needed, thanks. So if I start with 1/16" toe in for my street set up, add another 2 degrees of negative camber, I should be just over 1/8th toe out? That would be great, I was worried it would toe out a lot more than that. The 0.25cm you describe above is each side, correct? I may go ahead and get some of the toe plates from Amazon. One cheap set is only about $40.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 08:11 PM   #4
RacerBowie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Several

No it's better than that, that's TOTAL toe.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2023, 01:44 PM   #5
rhop101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i, Honda S2000 AP2

This is great! Thanks for posting. Will have to start doing this at AX events. I run 2.4deg as a compromise, but I had heard about this strategy, good to know there is very little toe gain. I thought there might be something to worry about.

Just need to grab my Jack out of storage next chance I get.

Might ask to borrow someone’s this weekend 😁
Appreciate 0