THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Damaged Oil Cooler Replacement

01-13-2023, 01:03 PM   #1
EstorilN55
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi /// AP1 S2000

Damaged Oil Cooler Replacement

My car was involved in a hit and run, someone smoked the whole front end while it was parked. The body is getting fixed now, but insurance approved replacing the oil cooler with an aftermarket new unit, my question is, what are the dangers of this?

I trust my body shop to do body work but having them replace the cooler has me uneasy, as I know the margin for error is quite small, and any error could lead to the engine or turbo blowing further down the road. Would the engine have to be primed after installing the new cooler to make sure there's no air in the system? My other question is if they are replacing the cooler, they might as well replace the lines as well.

From how I see it I'll be better having the car towed the dealer to have them replace the cooler, or even doing it myself. While I'm interested in seeing how the body comes out, I'm not feeling too good about how this car will drive and perform after the fact. Thank you for your insight.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 09:11 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Fight the insurance company as you want only a new OE cooler. Installing aftermarket parts in critical systems is a no-no for me.
Appreciate 1
qlaval52.50
      01-14-2023, 10:22 AM   #3
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

Just pay the difference between the OEM & aftermarket oil coolers if the greedy evil insurance company won't budge. Same labor so price of the part should be negligible compared to wasted time dealing with the company.
Appreciate 0