THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Millway camber plates with ST Coilovers NVH Problem

11-30-2022, 07:11 AM   #1
omerakz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220D F22, Mazda MX5 ND

Garage List
2014 BMW 220d  [0.00]
Millway camber plates with ST Coilovers NVH Problem

Hello all,

I bought Millway street camber plates last week and installed it to my 220D with ST Coilovers.

After the installation, everything looked great but I had excessive noise from the top mount.

With OE top mount, there is no sound at all, but this plates made too much noise on the road.

I guess it is because of the gap between shock's head and bolt nut.

Attached Youtube video shows the noise on the road and the gap.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0u90mx1AUTg?feature=share

I mailed to Millway and the place I bought it (ML Performance) and waiting for them to provide a solution.

But I would like to hear your opinions! Especially if there is someone installed Millway plates to ST coilovers.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
MassNerd171.00
      11-30-2022, 11:05 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Driving the car without the damper/shock piston rod firmly torqued to the mount bearing is not really advisable, just causing wear between the bearing and piston shaft. This sounds more like an issue with the coilovers having a longer relief on the end of the piston below the thread than the OEM dampers. A spacer under the nut or temporarily several washers would be needed to allow the nut to be torqued correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 03:29 PM   #3
omerakz
Private
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 220d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Driving the car without the damper/shock piston rod firmly torqued to the mount bearing is not really advisable, just causing wear between the bearing and piston shaft. This sounds more like an issue with the coilovers having a longer relief on the end of the piston below the thread than the OEM dampers. A spacer under the nut or temporarily several washers would be needed to allow the nut to be torqued correctly.
Okay but where should i put the washers? Before docking the plate or after?

Because we tried to put washers after docking the plate and torqued the nut on that did not help at all :/

Edit: when we install the OE top mount without any washers to the same coilovers, there is no problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 11:29 PM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerakz View Post

Because we tried to put washers after docking the plate and torqued the nut on that did not help at all :/

Edit: when we install the OE top mount without any washers to the same coilovers, there is no problem.
I would measure the thickness and position of the bearing in the camber plate vs the OEM top mount and install appropriate sized washers to mimic the damper position in the OEM mount.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 02:59 AM   #5
omerakz
Private
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 220d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:

I would measure the thickness and position of the bearing in the camber plate vs the OEM top mount and install appropriate sized washers to mimic the damper position in the OEM mount.
Thanks for that advice, i will try it as soon as possible!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 03:15 PM   #6
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
My car has this exact same noise issue with the stock struts. Also running Millway Street camber plates. Let me know if you solve it!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 03:47 PM   #7
omerakz
Private
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 220d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
My car has this exact same noise issue with the stock struts. Also running Millway Street camber plates. Let me know if you solve it!
I talked with Millway, ST Suspensions and the place i bought it, but nobody could provide a solution yet :/

I am running with stock top mount for now.

I will let you know if i fix this!

Did you talk with Millway about that? Because they claim that i should not make any sound with stock struts.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 01:07 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Hello all,

I bought Millway street camber plates last week and installed it to my 220D with ST Coilovers.

After the installation, everything looked great but I had excessive noise from the top mount.

With OE top mount, there is no sound at all, but this plates made too much noise on the road.

I guess it is because of the gap between shock's head and bolt nut.

Attached Youtube video shows the noise on the road and the gap.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0u90mx1AUTg?feature=share

I mailed to Millway and the place I bought it (ML Performance) and waiting for them to provide a solution.

But I would like to hear your opinions! Especially if there is someone installed Millway plates to ST coilovers.

Thanks in advance
Are you saying you couldn't fully seat the top nut? Photo of the assembly would help us determine your issue.

Add a spacer or washer.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 06:06 PM   #9
omerakz
Private
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 220d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Are you saying you couldn't fully seat the top nut? Photo of the assembly would help us determine your issue.

Add a spacer or washer.
We used several different washers to test couple times, fully seated the top mount, but could not solve the noise issue.

I'm thinking it might be the coilover making noise, not the plate. Because OE top mounts seems very sound absorbing, i dont hear any noise with them.

This is why, we will test it on a friend's M235i with Öhlins coilovers and see if it make that noise.

Photo attached to show the different between OE strut and ST coilover (ST on right)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 07:13 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
We used several different washers to test couple times, fully seated the top mount, but could not solve the noise issue.

I'm thinking it might be the coilover making noise, not the plate. Because OE top mounts seems very sound absorbing, i dont hear any noise with them.

This is why, we will test it on a friend's M235i with Öhlins coilovers and see if it make that noise.

Photo attached to show the different between OE strut and ST coilover (ST on right)
Make sure the plates have a tapered profile upper seat. Potential source of noise if the spring perches aren't seating properly.
Appreciate 1
omerakz11.00
      01-10-2023, 02:08 AM   #11
omerakz
Private
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 220d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Make sure the plates have a tapered profile upper seat. Potential source of noise if the spring perches aren't seating properly.
We installed just like in the manual, by transferring OEM spring bearing.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 06:58 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We installed just like in the manual, by transferring OEM spring bearing.
Because OE and KW/ST have diff strut profiles, need to make sure the camber plates you got have the exactly the same as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 07:38 PM   #13
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

The Millway street plates and OE Lemforder mounts are not tapered on the underside.
Attached Images

Last edited by freakystyly; 01-10-2023 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 08:44 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Looks like KW /ST for F8x chassis has a square shoulder so you are good to go!
Appreciate 0