THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Wheels and Tires for F22 M240i

09-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
Mmm Good
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Question Wheels and Tires for F22 M240i

Hi, friends. New M240i owner and forum member here. I have the staggered wheels setup, and as you might expect my rears are wearing twice as fast as the fronts. Also, I find the tire noise a bit loud on the car. So, as I ponder my coming tire replacements I have a few questions for you experienced folks:

1) I'm wondering if I should move to the same wheel size all around so I have more tire choices. If so, what do I need to know about wheel sizing and fitment?

2) I use my car for enthusiastic daily driving, the occasional mountain road run, and road trips, but I do not track the car. I'd like to find tires that still give me reasonable grip for my usage but are much quieter than the Pilot Super Sports currently on the car. Any suggestions?

Thanks, all. Really appreciate any advice you can offer.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 04:20 PM   #2
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Square fitment on this car is very tight. I'm running 18x8 ET40 with 245/35s all around on a stock x-drive and no rubbing, but not a lot of wheels are available with 40 offset. 18x8 ET38 or 42 would probably work with 245s as well. 18x8.5 ET40 would probably work also, but I would not bet on 18x8.5 with ET38 or 42 to do so without some mods, or in the latter case spacers.

Lots of good discussion and links in this thread.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1891751

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Good View Post
I have the staggered wheels setup, and as you might expect my rears are wearing twice as fast as the fronts.

1) I'm wondering if I should move to the same wheel size all around so I have more tire choices. If so, what do I need to know about wheel sizing and fitment?

2) I use my car for enthusiastic daily driving, the occasional mountain road run, and road trips, but I do not track the car. I'd like to find tires that still give me reasonable grip for my usage but are much quieter than the Pilot Super Sports currently on the car. Any suggestions?
This is in answer to your similar post in the General Forum.

0) It sounds like you favor accelerating quickly over pushing the car while turning. Does that sound right? I suggest that because it's pretty easy to wear the fronts out first on our cars when running the stock staggered setup with the stock (with limited negative) camber and favoring running hard on back roads or tracking the car.

1) There's excellent information from this aftermarket vendor and forum sponsor here: https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide.

2) I suggest looking at Tire Rack's customers' ratings of the tire categories from which you might choose:

Maximum Performance Summer (your PSS' are Max Perf Summer tires): https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...taggered+Tires

Ultra High Performance All-Season (as suggested by PeanuKeeyes): https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...taggered+Tires

The problem with comparing perceptions of noise is that we have differing experiences of what's noisy in a tire. I too run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and have found it to be reasonably quiet while providing excellent all-season performance. I don't drive my car in the snow and can't comment on its performance there.

I recommend giving Tire Rack a call after you've looked at the data on their site. When I've contacted them over the past 20 years, their customer service people have generally been excellent in terms of product knowledge. There will be no pressure to buy, and they may answer questions you didn't know you have. An added bonus is they generally (always?) use BMWs to do their tire testing at their dedicated testing facility.

Last edited by dradernh; 09-01-2022 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
Mmm Good
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Super helpful; thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #5
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

I've got the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus and they are much quieter and comfortable when compared to the stock run flats.

FWIW, I have an AWD M240 square setup and went through the rear run flats in about 15,000 miles.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2022, 01:02 PM   #6
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Michelin PS4's were awesome on mine. I upgraded to VMR v801's and it was both quieter and a much better ride overall.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #7
Jelly_Belly
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

I run a square setup for the exact reasons you pointed out. I dont track and I drive enthusiastically daily.

I would say, running a square setup is the way to go for daily use. As for the specific tire, it really depends on budget and what kind of handling characteristics you want.

Example: Someone who wants the best dry performance for the money might get Indy500s eventho they wear out faster. Some others run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ because they want consistent performance all year round.

Tire rack will be your friend. Look at the different performance categories and then compare the road test results.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...y.jsp?type=UHP

Here's to data for the Ultra High Performance Summer category.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #8
ehosca
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Second this. I went from stock Michelin PSS to DWS06+ and it's a much quieter ride as far as tire noise is concerned.

M240i is not exactly a quiet car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amutti View Post
I've got the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus and they are much quieter and comfortable when compared to the stock run flats.

FWIW, I have an AWD M240 square setup and went through the rear run flats in about 15,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 04:49 PM   #9
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

DynoMat the car if you want to subdue the noise!

Tires are for GRIP! And that's true in a sports set up. Want a softer tire, put winter's on it, lol... Quiets and softens the ride all at once!

I never really look at tire noise, but I do the wear rating, grip, wet/dry traction, etc. Noise isn't something that makes or breaks the deal. Buy a 7 series for comfort, hahaha . The 2 series and it's small wheelbase, low to ground clearance and non luxury sound deadening won't give you that sealed room feel.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0