THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Kies WiFi adapter - Bootmod3: car not detected

12-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #1
Catbacker
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Kies WiFi adapter - Bootmod3: car not detected

Got a great Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal from Extreme Power House on a Bootmod3 plus adapter bundle for my 2015 m235i. I've installed a VRSF charge pipe and intercooler and wanted to drop a stage 1 tune (plus transmission flash) on my car.

Problem is, the Bootmod3 software on my phone (Android) won't detect my car. I am using the Kies WiFi adapter. I manually set the IP like the instructions suggested. And I set the Bootmod3 app to "Mobile data only" when connected to WiFi. Which makes sense. The Kies WiFi network the adapter creates doesn't have Internet access so you would need Internet access from your phone to download maps.

Here's the weird part. If I set my phone to airplane mode, Bootmod3 immediately detects the car and pulls the VIN information. As soon as I take it out of airplane mode, the connection to my car goes by-by. I suspect there is some setting I'm missing but haven't found anything on the Interwebs that helps.

The cabled adapters shipped separately and arrive today so I will try a wired connection later today. But I paid an extra $100 for the Kies adapter and would like it to work.

I have a call in to support at Kies and will call Extreme when they finally get out of bed in Vegas. But has anyone else run into this?

EDIT: My son also tried using his iShiny (Apple) phone. Same results.

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by Catbacker; 12-05-2022 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: More info...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 11:50 PM   #2
714BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbacker View Post
Got a great Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal from Extreme Power House on a Bootmod3 plus adapter bundle for my 2015 m235i. I've installed a VRSF charge pipe and intercooler and wanted to drop a stage 1 tune (plus transmission flash) on my car.

Problem is, the Bootmod3 software on my phone (Android) won't detect my car. I am using the Kies WiFi adapter. I manually set the IP like the instructions suggested. And I set the Bootmod3 app to "Mobile data only" when connected to WiFi. Which makes sense. The Kies WiFi network the adapter creates doesn't have Internet access so you would need Internet access from your phone to download maps.

Here's the weird part. If I set my phone to airplane mode, Bootmod3 immediately detects the car and pulls the VIN information. As soon as I take it out of airplane mode, the connection to my car goes by-by. I suspect there is some setting I'm missing but haven't found anything on the Interwebs that helps.

The cabled adapters shipped separately and arrive today so I will try a wired connection later today. But I paid an extra $100 for the Kies adapter and would like it to work.

I have a call in to support at Kies and will call Extreme when they finally get out of bed in Vegas. But has anyone else run into this?

EDIT: My son also tried using his iShiny (Apple) phone. Same results.

Thanks!
Scott
This video should help solve your issue.

12-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Hi!

It was a pleasure talking with you yesterday.

Did Kies return your call?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2022, 01:52 PM   #4
Catbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hi!

It was a pleasure talking with you yesterday.

Did Kies return your call?

Nice talking to you as well Mike. I did get a call back from Kies and they are reaching out to Samsung for assistance.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 01:55 PM   #5
Catbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 714BMW View Post
This video should help solve your issue.

I watched it before I even started the process. Followed the recommended steps and it won't detect the car unless the phone is in airplane mode. Weird.
Appreciate 0