THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Drivetrain problems? What caused it?

10-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #1
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Drivetrain problems? What caused it?

I'm having issues with my car which are mostly at startup. Sometimes the engine starts with no issue, but often I have to try ignition 2-3 times before it will run. Other times I hear the crank turn a few times before it will catch. Sometimes the engine does not start at all, and a few times it has even started but there was no throttle response (it will only move in forward or reverse at idle speed).

Most importantly, this issue started after I installed a Racechip RS. However, I confirmed my installation with the Racechip customer support team, I plugged in the passthrough, and even replaced the wiring harness with another Racechip sent. Now I have removed it completely and still the problems persist. Is it possible I damaged something when I was installing the Racehip? Or is it possible it created some problem in my car?

I also had my spark plugs replaced by an independent mechanic who I had never seen about 3 weeks before installing the Racechip. One of the spark plugs was cracked which caused a misfire in my engine, but after getting the defective one replaced everything seemed good. I had no problems with the startup until after the Racechip? I doubt this is related but wanted to mention it in case someone else recognized a connection here.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 06:56 PM   #2
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

OK I figured it out - it was the battery.

Over the following weeks after this post my car eventually refused to start completely. I got an error message about "insufficient battery" or something to that effect, so I had the battery tested and then replaced. Since then everything seems great (and the auto stop/start kicks in at lights for the first time in 2-3 years). In case anyone has these problems in the future (or problems with the frameless window auto up/down)...check your battery!

I have since re-installed the Racechip and everything seems good as well. I feel bad because Racechip sent me a replacement wiring harness when the problem was unrelated, but that's a sign of good customer service by them.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50