THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bavsound ghost subwoofer. Any reviews?

10-14-2022, 12:54 AM   #23
sansone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 228I

Cool Review of my Bavsound Ghost Subwoofer and other speaker upgrades

I realize I am replying to a very old post, but I just do not have the time to research if newer posts exist regarding reviews of the Bavsound Ghost subwoofers. This is the one of the few posts I had easily came across on this topic, so I am replying for the sake of convenience

That being said, my 2015 2 series has the basic stock hi-fi system, NOT HK. As everyone has indicated, the sound quality was horrible. So I first replaced the door and rear deck speakers with the Focal ISC 100s. This improved the sound dramatically. However, I was missing the full "surround sound" effect that I have in my other vehicle and in order to even get close to that, I had to adjust the balance almost all the way to the rear speakers, which then pulled the power away from the front/door speakers and negatively impacted how loud the volume was in the driver seat.

SO I then purchased Kicker pod style component tweeters which were on sale thru Crutchfield and sort of "surface mounted" them to the headliner above and just behind the driver and passenger seats. Because this system had no option for separate component tweeters electrically wired them in "parallel" to the rear deck speakers solely for convenience as I did not want to go thru the hassle of trying to run wires from the front door speakers. With the fader balance adjusted just a little off center towards the rear, this finally gave me the stereo imaging that was desperately missing. I also found that when sitting in the rear, the sound is still great coming from the rear deck speakers for the rare occasions someone has to cram back there.

SO the next step was to try to improve the bass response. I didn't know the BAVsound ghost subwoofers even existed until I was at my local BMW for service earlier this year (2022) and they had them in one of their "accessory" displays. After doing some research, I decided to order these directly from BAVsound and was able to get them at a 18% discount. The install was fairly easy and straightforward, thanks to their YouTube video.

At first I was a little skeptical on if the bass response really improved until I allowed them to properly break-in, which BAVsound does indicate needs to happen. They also offered a 100 day money back guarantee. Now I am very happy with how much improved the overall sound is with just the speaker upgrades I did but still using the stock amplifier. Obviously because of the very small speaker sizes and lack of power from the stock amp, I do not get heavy "Thump-Thump" house rocking bass, but the bass is tight, clean, and does resonate very nicely inside the vehicle. These ghost subs are a dramatic improvement over the stock.

From what I have read on this forum, there are many approaches to achieving much better sound quality in this vehicle, depending upon how much one wants spend and the hassle factor they want to go thru. The upgrades I have done so far cost less than $750, I was able to do them myself, the quality of the sound is so much better, and I have not had to "re-tune" the amp or anything. (not sure if I even can do this on the stock system) I have not disconnected the center speaker yet, as suggested by other posts, but may give that a try to see if makes even more of an improvement.

Hope this helps anyone who comes across this post and is wondering if and how to get much better sound in this vehicle, for a fairly reasonable cost, but still using the stock amplifier.

Last edited by sansone; 10-14-2022 at 01:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
amutti95.50
      04-01-2023, 02:46 PM   #24
iwrk4satan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m340

I recently did the Bavsound ghost subwoofer upgrades and have gone through the break-in period.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the performance difference overall, that is, until I put the volume at 90+%. At extremely loud volumes, they really do start to shine. However, if it's not at high volumes they are pretty non-existent, and this is with the Bass EQ all the way up.

Any incremental changes I can do to make this better? Can I do an amp upgrade? Do I need to go all in and get an external sub in the trunk?

I currently have the HiFi Standard audio package (S676A) on my m340, along with the Ghost subwoofer upgrade. I did not do the Stage One speaker upgrade, as I'm mainly focused on icreasing the mid/low end.
Appreciate 0