THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Sony xm-gs6dsp amp installed and need some help on fine tuning it.

02-16-2022, 07:25 PM   #1
HootisTigglebits
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i & BMW 330e

Question Sony xm-gs6dsp amp installed and need some help on fine tuning it.

My car came with the hi-fi system and I have installed this amp and will be installing HK deck speakers, HK door speakers, and HK front tweeters (HK subs are already installed.) the bass already sounds better, but the speakers don't quite sound right. The images below show how I have everything wired up. Not quite sure what's the best way to make adjustments to this amp, on the amp itself, using the app, or both? Do I have everything connected correctly?

Here is a link to the manual pages 10-15 show the different ways to wire it up:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../47333641M.pdf
Attached Images

Last edited by HootisTigglebits; 02-16-2022 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 09:35 PM   #2
jv92red
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i (SOLD) E92M3 (SOLD)

I'm assuming you bought a wiring harness to bypass the factory amp? If so then you should not be using the high input section of the Sony amp. Use the low input section. High input section of the Sony amp is assuming you'll be using the speaker outputs from the factory amp which you aren't because you are bypassing it with the Technic (or ebay)harness. Look at page 11 of the Sony instruction manual, not page 12 like you attached.

Regarding tuning, that's a whole other discussion that you'll need to do your own homework on. There is a TON to learn. I'm still a student of this myself as this stuff takes years to grasp if you only give it limited time like me. But if your up to it, the payoff is not paying a shop tune your system.

Start here:
https://www.audiofrog.com/audiofrog-tech-blog/

EDIT: I noticed that you edited your post to display page 11 now and not page 12 like you did earlier so not sure how you wired your amp up at this point...?

Last edited by jv92red; 02-16-2022 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 10:41 PM   #3
HootisTigglebits
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks so much for the info. Yes I got an adapter harness that you suggested.

The reason I edited the post is I read the manual more closely and found that I couldn't get any audio from the line input connector. Turns out I had to run a wire from the remote wire to one of the high pass pins. Tomorrow I'll work on tweaking the audio.
      02-17-2022, 08:54 AM   #4
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

The HK speakers aren't very good. I replaced the HK speakers in the doors and in the rear package shelf. The sound is much better. Also, I replaced the amp with an Audiotech-Fischer MATCH BMW 7UP amp with a USB module. Why? The factory head unit has a crappy digital to analog converter (DAC). The amp's USB input relies upon the amp's DAC. That way I can send digital FLAC (lossless) files to amp's DAC. The sound is much better-clearer, detailed.

Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 02-17-2022 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 01:45 PM   #5
HootisTigglebits
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
The HK speakers aren't very good. I replaced the HK speakers in the doors and in the rear package shelf. The sound is much better. Also, I replaced the amp with an Audiotech-Fischer MATCH BMW 7UP amp with a USB module. Why? The factory head unit has a crappy digital to analog converter (DAC). The amp's USB input relies upon the amp's DAC. That way I can send digital FLAC (lossless) files to amp's DAC. The sound is much better-clearer, detailed.
I've heard a lot of people say that and I can fully agree with your statement because the last M235i I had came with the HK system and I wasn't impressed until I changed the EQ profile to F45 which made it sound completely different. I'm not a big audiophile, but do enjoy SQ and a decent amount of bass. I'm satisfied with the outcome and haven't even installed the other HK speakers and tweeters.
      10-07-2022, 07:39 PM   #6
Ahorowitz
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

HootisTigglebits ,can you clarify what you did with the remote wire? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 11:37 PM   #7
jv92red
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i (SOLD) E92M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahorowitz View Post
HootisTigglebits ,can you clarify what you did with the remote wire? Thanks
The remote out from the harness is what will turn the amp on and goes into the Sony amp at the "ACC" input, separate from all of the harness inputs on that amp. It's on the right, next to the "12+" input

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 01:20 AM   #8
pbedrosi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

By the way, people say hi-fi door speakers are coaxial, but I just removed mine to replace it with an Aliexpress B&W knock-off b/c I need the secondary port for HK sail panel tweeters that I bought from a member here, anyhow, my door speakers are standard single cone driver, not coaxial. What was in yours? my car is 2014.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 03:54 PM   #9
LDV
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328xi

Sorry to revive a dead thread - but does this mean that the XM-GS6DSP support balanced/differential inputs? If it would work with the technic harness I'm guessing it would work with E90s as well (Hifi 676)?
Appreciate 0