THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Carbon Fibre Overlay-Outstanding! But...

03-01-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Carbon Fibre Overlay-Outstanding! But...

I bought some carbon fibre overlays for interior pieces from China. All of them were beautiful, better than I expected particularly for the price, and they fit great too.

I installed the door pulls on a day that it was cold. I knew at the time I was pressing my luck. These came without the VHB applied inside so I cleaned it with alcohol and naptha before I stuck the VHB and installed them. No clamping just pressing for a minute or two.

Over the course of two weeks they came loose. Again no surprise. The VHB stuck great to the door pull and getting it off was no easy feat as only heat worked. No solvent worked even the 3M stuff. But I would like to spray or paint something on the inside of the overlay before I do it again to make the bond of the VHT better as the tape came off the overlay just a bit too easy. And I am using adhesion promoter too but I really want this the last time I do this. I could wait till spring some sort of coating on the inside also seems like a good idea.

Here is what it looks like on the inside. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. And again, these look beautiful and fit perfectly. I was very hesitant getting the overlays. I am not unhappy I did.

///Rich
Attached Images

Last edited by Rich.Wolfson; 03-08-2021 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
I bought some carbon fibre overlays for interior pieces from China. All of them were beautiful, better than I expected particularly for the price, and they fit great too.

I installed the door pulls on a day that it was cold. I knew at the time I was pressing my luck. These came without the VHB applied inside so I cleaned it with alcohol and naptha before I stuck the VHB and installed them. No clamping just pressing for a minute or two.

Over the course of two weeks they came loose. Again no surprise. The VHT stuck great to the door pull and getting it off was no easy feat as only heat worked. No solvent worked even the 3M stuff. But I would like to spray or paint something on the inside of the overlay before I do it again to make the bond of the VHT better as the tape came off the overlay just a bit too easy. And I am using adhesion promoter too but I really want this the last time I do this. I could wait till spring some sort of coating on the inside also seems like a good idea.

Here is what it looks like on the inside. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. And again, these look beautiful and fit perfectly. I was very hesitant getting the overlays. I am not unhappy I did.

///Rich
Buy a crappy set of used stock handles and use jb weld.
      03-08-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post

Over the course of two weeks they came loose. Again no surprise. The VHB stuck great to the door pull and getting it off was no easy feat as only heat worked. No solvent worked even the 3M stuff. But I would like to spray or paint something on the inside of the overlay before I do it again to make the bond of the VHT better as the tape came off the overlay just a bit too easy. And I am using adhesion promoter too but I really want this the last time I do this. I could wait till spring some sort of coating on the inside also seems like a good idea.

///Rich
UPDATE. I bought some 3M Adhesion Promoter #6396. It works like a primer and dries in a few minutes and really makes a difference. This time I removed the handles with a trim tool, cleaned everything with Naptha first, painted on the promoter and waited 15 minutes before I put the tape on the overlay. I exposed the second side of the tape, stuck the overlay on and used some small clamps to hold it for 24 hours which brings the VHB to 95% bond.

Reinstalled the handles and they look GREAT. I can't imagine the M-Sport pieces looking any better. Just wanted everyone to know not to be scared of the overlays but also not to install them when it's freezing.

///Rich
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
KjPerry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i xDrive

Photo of them on the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Heya,

Can you provide a link to these on ebay? They look great, and I too have gone the glossy route for my carbon interior bits.

Thanks!

josh
Appreciate 0