THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i unstable under hard acceleration?

02-27-2021, 05:08 AM   #1
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
M240i unstable under hard acceleration?

Two years ago, I bought a barely used CPO 2017 M240i with the 6-spd manual. It was (and still is in) in perfect condition. It has 17K miles on it. It drives well and tracks straight with good tires and the correct pressure. However, full straight-line acceleration seems to lighten up the rear end and it feels a bit unstable or "squirrely". I don't detect any wheel slippage either thru feel, sound or indicator lights. I partly blame this on the lack of a rear limited slip diff (LSD). Since I really like the car, I'm thinking of installing the M-diff for $3K. Would that help with the instability?

Last edited by Edslittleworld; 02-27-2021 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 06:30 AM   #2
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
Two years ago, I bought a barely used CPO 2017 M240i with the 6-spd manual. It was (and still is in) in perfect condition. It has 17K miles on it. It drives well and tracks straight with good tires and the correct pressure. However, full straight-line acceleration seems to lighten up the rear end and it feels a bit unstable or "squirrely". I don't detect any wheel slippage either thru feel, sound or indicator lights. I partly blame this on the lack of a rear limited slip diff (LSD). Since I really like the car, I'm thinking of installing the M-diff for $3K. Would that help with the instability?
Yes. I have a 2021 M240i with 6-speed manual and I felt the same unacceptable "yaw" under hard acceleration. I always drive in Sport+ (unless I deactivate DSC), so that's the mode where I noticed it. I asked a racing buddy of mine to test drive the car and he felt it too. I installed the M Performance LSD, and that seems to have solved the issue, but I won't know for sure until I take the winter wheels/tires off and reinstall the high performance summer tires/wheels in the beginning of Spring. At this (mid-Winter) point, I think the winter tires are the cause of any remaining instability in my M240i.
      02-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #3
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
LSDs are awesome, especially for accelerating out of a corner. I'm sure it would help your squirrely rear end.

That said, the M240i is a pretty powerful car sending all that power through just the rear wheels, and it doesn't have the widest tires ever. You're probably still going to be near the limits of traction when you floor it in the lower gears. But it should be a lot more predictable and easy to control with an LSD. Without the LSD, the car is controlling the rear end by using the rear brakes one side or the other (whichever side begins to spin) which might contribute to the rear end wiggle, even though its keeping you from doing a big one wheel burnout.
Appreciate 1
bobkat09151.50
      02-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #4
RvR
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Yes, it would help significantly

Quote:
The M Performance LSD greatly improved the stability of my car, under hard or even modest acceleration. I expected the former, but the latter surprised me. I could tell the difference driving away from the dealership, at only modest speed. My only regret, I should have done it sooner.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2021, 06:16 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
...full straight-line acceleration seems to lighten up the rear end and it feels a bit unstable or "squirrely". I don't detect any wheel slippage either thru feel, sound or indicator lights. I partly blame this on the lack of a rear limited slip diff (LSD). Since I really like the car, I'm thinking of installing the M-diff for $3K. Would that help with the instability?
I don't have a link, but if you've missed it there was another thread on this subject that appeared here during, I think, the last 6-9 months. It may offer some useful input if you can find it. (Maybe try the Suspension | Chassis | Brakes sub-forum?)
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2021, 08:26 AM   #6
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Please see my new post at https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...9#post27390409
      03-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Agreed on squirrelyness and LSD is on the shopping list for the future. I've recently come from an N52 and I thought even that engine could benefit from an LSD, it's crazy to think these high torque turbo engines don't even get one.

Stickier tires / width of rubber would be a band aid, if you plan on replacing them anyways but the root of the problem is still there with a 1 tire fire.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #8
Michael Avedis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228 thp manual

unstable rear

I have a 228 manual and experience a similar rear stability issue, but I am sure not to the extent of what you are experiencing .

My feeling is that it is the soft rear subframe bushings. Inserts would/ could solve this.
I had a 335i convertible, with the added weight and power the rear would feel loose, installing the inserts solved the issue in that car.
Much more planted.

when I change springs I will be installing these on my car.

have fun
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #9
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

The back and forth is the ediff shifting the power between wheels, LSD solves it completely.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
The back and forth is the ediff shifting the power between wheels, LSD solves it completely.
^Yep.

Adding an LSD to these cars totally transforms them. The increase in rear axle traction and stability is immense. Run a 245/35R18 square summer tire setup and you massively increase front end grip as well. BMW spec-ing 225 width tires in the front really hampers them, kills tire shoulders as well.
      03-27-2021, 10:52 PM   #11
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06 View Post
Yes. I have a 2021 M240i with 6-speed manual and I felt the same unacceptable "yaw" under hard acceleration. I always drive in Sport+ (unless I deactivate DSC), so that's the mode where I noticed it. I asked a racing buddy of mine to test drive the car and he felt it too. I installed the M Performance LSD, and that seems to have solved the issue, but I won't know for sure until I take the winter wheels/tires off and reinstall the high performance summer tires/wheels in the beginning of Spring. At this (mid-Winter) point, I think the winter tires are the cause of any remaining instability in my M240i.
I also agree on this as well as other posters. This is the only negative point I have about my M240i RWD. I am a very conservative driver that never push the car hard but we are in the mountains here on the Olympic Peninsula and its better to be careful than sorry.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0