THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Car wash for M240xi Convertible?

03-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #1
mobilehavoc
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW M240xi

Car wash for M240xi Convertible?

This is my first convertible and the weather is supposed to be nice this Sunday so wanted to get a car wash Sunday morning before taking a drive in it. First car wash since I took delivery of the car. I usually use one of the two auto car washes that are nearby and from what I remember they are pretty gentle but they're still not a true hand wash.

Anybody know if there are any issues with taking a convertible through one of these car washes? Any possible damage to the soft-top or in general? I can't seem to find any hand car washes near me either. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I run mine through the whirling flailing car wash all the time. I know that makes me some kind of pervert but it works fine.
Appreciate 1
Artdnj394.00
      03-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Alternatively call your local detail shop - they'll often do just a hand wash for not too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
This is my first convertible and the weather is supposed to be nice this Sunday so wanted to get a car wash Sunday morning before taking a drive in it. First car wash since I took delivery of the car. I usually use one of the two auto car washes that are nearby and from what I remember they are pretty gentle but they're still not a true hand wash.

Anybody know if there are any issues with taking a convertible through one of these car washes? Any possible damage to the soft-top or in general? I can't seem to find any hand car washes near me either. Thanks.
Stay away from any car wash machine even touch less ones.
Only hand wash your car. Even the service center advises me not to use the free car wash at bmw. This has all to do with the fabric roof long term abuse from the chemicals and high water pressure.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
Ron Jeffries
Rep

Fear is the mindkiller. Certainly washing it with warm distilled water and never touching it will be better for it. And if you enjoy that, by all means go for it. Me, I'm more for 5 minutes and back on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I personally would never run any of my vehicles through an automated wash but I’m super ocd about hand washing our cars. I agree with what one of the posters said about the car chemicals seeping into the top and breaking the material down. However, I think you could abait some of those effects by getting a good convertible spray top cleaner and conditioner. I use one from Meguiar’s.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I've never taken my M235i convertible through an automated carwash because I think that at a minimum, it degrades the waterproofing. So I'd end-up spending more time re-proofing the fabric and be back at square one. I re-proof a couple of times a year at the end of winter and end of summer, plus any occasions where it's left out and gets any unusually heavy 'birdstrike' or sap covering (this usually happens a couple of times in the summer and I have to do a heavy clean of the fabric afterwards).

I use the BMW proofing liquid, but I'm sure other proofing products can be found which are as good or better. Note that the soft-top cleaner fluid [s/n 83122352678 in the UK] is different from the soft-top proofing fluid [s/n 83122298223 and is called 'Soft Top/Roof Rain Water-Repellent Agent' on Amazon UK]. You don't need to use much proofing agent to treat a 2 Series roof, and my 250ml bottle has lasted over 2 years, so I think it's fairly cost-effective.

Note the Owners Manual advice not to leave a wet roof stored-away in the storage compartment. And to have the roof up and fabric tensioned, if you're leaving the car for any length of time. Even if it's garaged.

It's definitely worth vacuuming the fabric regularly - you'd be surprised how much stuff this picks up. I've found vacuuming with a brush attachment along the bias of the fabric works best (but avoid using a brush internally if you have high gloss black trim: the bristles are usually too stiff and leave micro-scratches). I also occasionally half-fold the roof to vacuum various bits that are otherwise hidden on the roof and the roof storage compartment BUT if you do this, be aware that the hydraulics de-pressurise after a minute or so and the mechanism moves: you DO NOT want your hands to be anywhere in the way!).

And note the advice on other threads to occasionally lubricate the rubber window seals on the roof using 'gummi-pflege', especially in the winter. This keeps it elastic and stops annoying squeaks from being too dry. I use this from Amazon and it seems to do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-0340000...r=8-2-fkmrnull

If you've owned other BMWs you'll also be aware of the controversy over the mandatory use of BMW washer fluid, of which the 5L concentrate [p/n 83122409032] is the most cost-effective format. Some people think it's a scam to have to use this and report no issues with 3rd party products. However, there are enough reports of people adding non-BMW washer fluid and then suffering expensive and out-of-warranty 'gunking' of the washer system for it to be worth paying the premium, to my mind. The BMW concentrate is more concentrated than most equivalents, but still comes out about 2x the $/pint of cheaper garage/auto shop stuff. My manual also says to dilute the concentrate before I add it to the reservoir (although doesn't say why) - I assume because undiluted concentrate may just settle at the bottom of the reservoir and not mix. Finally, if your BMW garage tops-up the screenwash, they'll obviously use BMW stuff, so that's another reason to just go with the flow on using their stuff.

Last edited by msej449; 03-23-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
mobilehavoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
I've never taken my M235i convertible through an automated carwash because I think that at a minimum, it degrades the waterproofing. So I'd end-up spending more time re-proofing the fabric and be back at square one. I re-proof a couple of times a year at the end of winter and end of summer, plus any occasions where it's left out and gets any unusually heavy 'birdstrike' or sap covering (this usually happens a couple of times in the summer and I have to do a heavy clean of the fabric afterwards).

I use the BMW proofing liquid, but I'm sure other proof products can be found which are as good or better. Note that the soft-top cleaner fluid is different from the soft-top proofing fluid.

Note the Owners Manual advice not to leave a wet roof stored-away in the storage compartment. And to have the roof up and fabric tensioned, if you're leaving the car for any length of time. Even if it's garaged.

It's definitely worth vacuuming the fabric regularly - you'd be surprised how much stuff this picks up. I've found vacuuming with a brush attachment along the bias of the fabric works best (but avoid using a brush internally if you have high gloss black trim: the bristles are usually too stiff and leave micro-scratches). I also occasionally half-fold the roof to vacuum various bits that are otherwise hidden on the roof and the roof storage compartment BUT if you do this, be aware that the hydraulics de-pressurise after a minute or so and the mechanism moves: you DO NOT want your hands to be anywhere in the way!).

And note the advice on other threads to occasionally lubricate the rubber window seals on the roof using 'gummi-pflege', especially in the winter. THis keeps it elastic and stops annoying squeaks from being too dry. I use this from Amazon and it seems to do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-0340000...r=8-2-fkmrnull
Holy crap. This post scares me. I wasn't planning on doing any of this. I can look into sticking with hand washes but I had no idea you have to reproof or treat the roof on a regular basis. That is insane to me - how many people actually even do this?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:

I use the BMW proofing liquid, but I'm sure other proof products can be found which are as good or better. Note that the soft-top cleaner fluid is different from the soft-top proofing fluid.

And note the advice on other threads to occasionally lubricate the rubber window seals on the roof using 'gummi-pflege', especially in the winter. THis keeps it elastic and stops annoying squeaks from being too dry. I use this from Amazon and it seems to do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-0340000...r=8-2-fkmrnull
Great advise, I also vacuum my top and use 303 fabric guard spray a few times a year.

https://www.amazon.com/303-Fabric-Up.../dp/B00KMYYQ36

Just watch out for the over-spray. Its a bitch to get off the glass and paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

Quote:
Holy crap. This post scares me. I wasn't planning on doing any of this. I can look into sticking with hand washes but I had no idea you have to reproof or treat the roof on a regular basis. That is insane to me - how many people actually even do this?
It depends on your tolerance for the appearance of your car and whether you want to maintain the top long term. Spraying the clean top with protectant keeps it water repellent and literally only takes a few minutes. I tape the edges all around with masking tape and newspaper to avoid overspray. It takes a few more minutes but it avoids having to try to clean the stuff off the paint. RaggTopp protectant works great. Make sure you get the fabric protectant and not the vinyl. Once or twice a year for me is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #11
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
@mobilehavoc [I had no idea you have to reproof or treat the roof on a regular basis.]

No need to stress. This is standard stuff for any soft-top and easy to do as part of one of your hand washes. The proofing agent is just a gunky concentrate that you add to a small bucket of water. You then sponge the fabric into a light foam. Then wash it off and let it dry. A mentioned, don't let the liquid dry on the bodywork i.e. give the bodywork a quick spray.

Probably less than a half hour job twice a year. Perhaps once or twice more if you've had a really bad case of birdstrike or tree sap and had to really vigorously clean the fabric. Personally, I've found the fabric to be less of a worry re birdstrike and tree sap than the bodywork i.e. less prone to discolouration if I don't clean it before it sets hard.

I'm lucky in there are a number of DIY hand wash places near me i.e. with a high/low pressure washer/waxer plus a separate foam brush. As this is a long-term vehicle which I bought cash up-front, I'm a bit anal about only doing any cleaning work myself, and while I'm OK taking it to a proper detailer, I'm not going to hand it over to the average hand wash minion or dealer apprentice.

Last edited by msej449; 03-23-2019 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
mobilehavoc
Rep

Quote:

I use the BMW proofing liquid, but I'm sure other proofing products can be found which are as good or better. Note that the soft-top cleaner fluid [s/n 83122352678 in the UK] is different from the soft-top proofing fluid [s/n 83122298223 and is called 'Soft Top/Roof Rain Water-Repellent Agent' on Amazon UK]. You don't need to use much proofing agent to treat a 2 Series roof, and my 250ml bottle has lasted over 2 years, so I think it's fairly cost-effective.

And note the advice on other threads to occasionally lubricate the rubber window seals on the roof using 'gummi-pflege', especially in the winter. This keeps it elastic and stops annoying squeaks from being too dry. I use this from Amazon and it seems to do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-0340000...r=8-2-fkmrnull

If you've owned other BMWs you'll also be aware of the controversy over the mandatory use of BMW washer fluid, of which the 5L concentrate [p/n 83122409032] is the most cost-effective format. Some people think it's a scam to have to use this and report no issues with 3rd party products. However, there are enough reports of people adding non-BMW washer fluid and then suffering expensive and out-of-warranty 'gunking' of the washer system for it to be worth paying the premium, to my mind. The BMW concentrate is more concentrated than most equivalents, but still comes out about 2x the $/pint of cheaper garage/auto shop stuff. My manual also says to dilute the concentrate before I add it to the reservoir (although doesn't say why) - I assume because undiluted concentrate may just settle at the bottom of the reservoir and not mix. Finally, if your BMW garage tops-up the screenwash, they'll obviously use BMW stuff, so that's another reason to just go with the flow on using their stuff.
Quote:
@mobilehavoc [I had no idea you have to reproof or treat the roof on a regular basis.]

No need to stress. This is standard stuff for any soft-top and easy to do as part of one of your hand washes. The proofing agent is just a gunky concentrate that you add to a small bucket of water. You then sponge the fabric into a light foam. Then wash it off and let it dry. A mentioned, don't let the liquid dry on the bodywork i.e. give the bodywork a quick spray.

Probably less than a half hour job twice a year. Perhaps once or twice more if you've had a really bad case of birdstrike or tree sap and had to really vigorously clean the fabric.

Personally, I've found the fabric to be less of a worry re birdstrike and tree sap than the bodywork i.e. less prone to discolouration if I don't clean it before it sets hard.
Thanks for all the info - quick question though. What happens if you don't do any of this though? This is essentially a 3rd car for us so it's garaged most of the year and I drive it mainly in the summer and even then probably not every day. If I go to a detail shop or a decent car wash would they be able to condition it? If it's only once or twice a year then might be worth getting someone to do it for me and get it done right.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #13
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky58 View Post
.................................................. .................................................. ............. RaggTopp protectant works great. Make sure you get the fabric protectant and not the vinyl. Once or twice a year for me is worth it.
Do you know it the Raggtopp fabric protectant is also the one I should use on the "moonlight" fabric top?
I previously had the std black soft tops on my 2003 Z4, 2008 1er, 2015 228, 2016 M235 convertibles and still have still have a couple of cans of the fabric Raggtopp protectant left, but now have the2018 M240xi ragtop with the "moonlight" soft top. The shiny top almost makes it look vinyl, but I assume it's fabric?
      03-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #14
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
Quote:

Only hand wash your car. Even the service center advises me not to use the free car wash at bmw. This has all to do with the fabric roof long term abuse from the chemicals and high water pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
Quote:

Hand was with sprayer, wind, rain or automated car wash. Seems all the same to me. Very few "do it yourself" places remain. I take mine through the car wash and the dealer probably does the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #15
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Do you know it the Raggtopp fabric protectant is also the one I should use on the "moonlight" fabric top?
I previously had the std black soft tops on my 2003 Z4, 2008 1er, 2015 228, 2016 M235 convertibles and still have still have a couple of cans of the fabric Raggtopp protectant left, but now have the2018 M240xi ragtop with the "moonlight" soft top. The shiny top almost makes it look vinyl, but I assume it's fabric?
Yes it is a synthetic fabric. http://www.haartz.com/news/haartz-soft-top-material-featured-new-bmw-2-series-convertible
I have the same top and the RaggTop stuff works great. FWIW, the RT stuff is endorsed by Haartz, who make the Sonnenland top on the 2 series.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #16
Ron Jeffries
Rep

My 2013 convertible, replaced with a 2018, living in Michigan, had no discernible top issues and as you've seen above, I don't treat it like a prima donna. I treat it like a car that has been built to survive German winters.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:38 PM   #17
Neverlost99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2105 228ix

Never go through with the top down is my advice. I would never use a mechanical wash. I also use Chemical Brothers Top Cleaner and Top Dressing to keep my top looking great.
      01-18-2021, 06:15 PM   #18
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

FWIW I owned an 2004 E46 convertible from 2012 to 2020 and used to go through the car wash all the time. Then one day the water came in between the window seal and the top itself - not fun, luckily I had a small towel in the car but I got soaked. For the next two years I just didn't wash it until I got ready to sell it this June. I had retired in 2017 so no more commute. Then I used BMW top cleaner and BMW top conditioner, the top looked fine. My 2021 M240 will NEVER see a car wash.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #19
qlaval
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i X Convertible

I use Raggtop Fabric Protectant this product does magic protecting my convertible against calcium snow and ice...
Yes, I use my car during winter in Montreal...
Car looks dirty during winter still the top always looks clean, as nothing stick to it.

I could make an ad for this product...

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #20
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky58 View Post
It depends on your tolerance for the appearance of your car and whether you want to maintain the top long term. Spraying the clean top with protectant keeps it water repellent and literally only takes a few minutes. I tape the edges all around with masking tape and newspaper to avoid overspray. It takes a few more minutes but it avoids having to try to clean the stuff off the paint. RaggTopp protectant works great. Make sure you get the fabric protectant and not the vinyl. Once or twice a year for me is worth it.
X2. I use the Raggtop protectant on a clean top a couple times a year. It literally takes about 15 minutes to do a couple coats. The main thing with automated washes is, per the BMW owner manual, to avoid the waxes. Apparently, the liquid hot wax is not good for the fabric top. We drive our vert year round and I run it through our neighborhood automated wash as needed. I use their basic wash that doesn't include any wax. The main thing is to enjoy your car and some people are really into the detailing and others just want to drive. To each their own but for me, I'm more into the driving than the detailing.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:12 AM   #21
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

I drive my Z4 through a car wash every other week and use no further agents. Everything else is overdone.
      02-25-2021, 04:50 PM   #22
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Great info in this thread. I’ve never owned a convertible and asked my father the same Q about ragtop care the other day.
Appreciate 0