THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum My review of Eibach springs and thrust arm bushings (Adaptive M Sport Suspension)

02-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
pdx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS, '18 M240xc

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M240xc  [0.00]
My review of Eibach springs and thrust arm bushings (Adaptive M Sport Suspension)

this is a follow up to: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...1#post27221451

i am writing this because i can't seem to find any of these kinds of reviews. i like these kinds of reviews, so i would imagine at least one other person does as well. im not a suspension guru. i like the occasional track day. i wish i was a full-time racer, but im a code-monkey instead. i know what feels good, but i dont necessarily know how to improve it. im not looking to abuse my car, my wallet, or my day-to-day driving experience.

for those that cant be bothered to read a little:

do it. get the springs and thrust arm bushings installed.

the preface:

this review applies to *MY* 2018 m240xc (F22 B58). i usually drive in "ECO Pro" mode because im trying to consume less gas, and dont mind the cushy feel when mostly city driving. i was interested in the springs because i wanted my car to feel flatter when turning (aka wallowing through corners). putting the car in Sport mode helped a little, but not enough.

i bought the springs several years ago, but didnt get them installed because i was SHOCKED how much it all cost to get things done in Portland, Oregon. i was also considering getting anti-roll bars installed at the same time. after talking to a local racing shoppe i decided not to (this is NOT supposed to start a anti-roll bar discussion / war). i decided to finally get the springs installed because i was tired of the wallowing, and life is too short, and the car is certainly not going to fix itself.

why did i pick Eibach over all the others? they have been doing this forever. they are the ones that make the springs for the other spring companies. i didnt want to spend a lot of money on something that might not solve my problem. aesthetically, i didnt want my car "lowered", i only want it to drive like i want it to drive. and the Eibach springs were designed to work with the stock Adaptive M Sport Suspension dampers. and they didnt necessitate replacing things like bump-stops (this is NOT supposed to start a bump-stop discussion / war).

as i mentioned in the quick review, had the following installed:
Eibach springs (E10-20-030-03-22)
Powerflex Front Upper Thrust Arm To Chassis Bushings (31126854729)
15mil spacers (unknown manufacturer)
Bimmerworld M14 Premium 82mm BimmerWorld Race Wheel Stud/Black Nut Package (100.36.570.0005)

other gear previously installed: i have three KCDesign strut bars installed. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=25629508 i did NOT uninstall them for this review. this review should be consumed knowing that those changes are affecting my experiences in additional ways.

this review is based on almost 200 miles of "aggressive" city and highway driving with a healthy dose of back-road twisties. a definite cross-section of road quality, hairpin turns, sweepers, rises, on/off-ramps, etc. there has been ZERO track time with these changes.

the install:

i had the local shoppe do the install. i picked them because they actually race the F22. they are passionate about the model and enthusiastic about helping me solve my problem in a considered way.

i didnt weigh them, but the box with the Eibach springs was not light. after the install the box they gave me containing the OEM springs weighed considerably less - as in: "are there really even springs in this box" light.

the review:

the ride quality is most definitely no longer squishy luxury. it is dramatically harsher - but i am not worried about my fillings falling out. the car no longer feels like it is wallowing. it feels flat. it feels connected to the road. it feels connected to the throttle and the steering. and i feel connected to it all. it feels amazing.

applying the gas feels more immediate. probably because the car isnt spending extra time squatting / rocking back.

i realize there are a lot of things going into the new steering feeling (the springs, the strut bars, the thrust arm bushings, and the spacers), but because the thrust arm bushings are for steering, i have to blame them for the new feeling of the steering being immediate and connected.

ECO Pro steering now feels firmer, and Sport steering feels lighter. it no longer feels like you can steer with one finger in one mode and you need to use both arms in the other. now it feels like both are more equalized.

i never thought i suffered from the "dead spot" steering that a lot of other people have complained about. the steering improvements are absolutely amazing. my guess is the "dead spot" steering was designed to make highway driving easier for the normal person. now that the steering is more immediate and connected, straight-line highway driving is almost exhausting. the steering almost feels a little twitchy now, so there is no relaxing. the car now feels like it wants to wander with any wear or road imperfections.

i have always been annoyed with the feeling like i am sitting in a high-chair when driving my car. no amount of fiddling with the seat controls lessened the feeling of driving a SUV (looking DOWN on the road). for me, after the install, that feeling has definitely improved.

perhaps i failed to measure things correctly before the install, but the car doesnt measure any lower after the install, even after three weeks of settling. yes, i realize this contradicts the FEELING like i am sitting lower.

it is also worth noting that the "knock" or "clunk" the steering gave me sometimes has disappeared. so i no longer need to pursue the 32-10-6-891-974 fix i recently found out about.

would i do it again? absolutely, and without a second thought. knowing what it is like now, i am sad it took so long to do this. it feels silly that i was worried about the install cost when the results are so dramatically different and better.

it is completely unfair to compare the "worth" of the strut bars install to the "worth" of the springs, bushings, and spacers because they all modify different things - and because THIS review is a sum-total of everything together. BUT, if i had to pick one to do before the other, i would pick the springs, bushings, and spacers to do first. addressing chassis stiffness is a "yes", but addressing body-roll is a "hell yes".

feel free to private message me if you would like any more details of my experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the floow up review! I have been hoping you would post up.

I am sorta bummed to hear you didnt really get much lower with these spring. I am stoked for you as it looks like you didnt eant to lower the car too much. But I am looking to lower the car a bit, so I may need to rethink these springs. As privey as they are, the B16 coilovers may be my best bet.

Regardless, I am grateful for your review. These sound like a big winner for those looking to make the ride a bit more aggressive.

Maybe you can post some pi s of your car? Before and after?

josh
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

thx for review, I'm considering springs and like hearing all thoughts.

One note - I did the Powerflex upper bushings also (alone) and that made huge difference in steering, control (esp. higher speeds) and I never really had "dead spot" but it was tighter.

Guy I had do mine actually has done some work with BimmerWorld cars, and he had to machine out old bushings, and said possibly buying new thrust arm with bushings in may be almost as cheap, as labor cost would have been lower. Just a thought for other folks reading.

I'm torn between lowering or not with springs, more to think about (new larger forged rims and slightly bigger tires helped with "look"/space wtc. Do I NEED to lower for track...guess it helps a small bit, guessing springs do more.)

Thx !
Appreciate 0