THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning BM3 Blown Charge Pipe w/Logs m235

11-30-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
B5toE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 M235

BM3 Blown Charge Pipe w/Logs m235

Hi guys and gals hoping for a little help here.

Backstory:

2014 M235i w/BM3 Stage 1 flash and a catless DP. Both flash & DP have been on the car for about three months with no problems; car felt very strong.
Fast forward to three weeks ago; i was driving at 40-45mph and went WOT while the car was in manual mode and 7th gear. It instantly made a little noise and the factory charge pipe was split into two pieces. I limped home parked the car and ordered an aftermarket metal charge pipe.

Today installed the new charge pipe everything fit well and double checked. However the car still feels like it has no power. When hitting the throttle there is major lag for it to respond and once it does there is a major lack of power.

I’ve attached a couple of logs from BM3 that I took after the charge pip was installed. And insight would be highly appreciated.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=61a6...0b4344e1a3ae3b
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=61a6...90c666e435929a
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=61a6...90c66772976b68
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 04:24 AM   #2
Possessed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xdrive

Are you sure your new charge pipe is not leaking? I'm not an expert but seems that your MAP is way off target boost.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #3
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Something between your turbo and your engine is still not connected. You have absolutely no boost. You can probably hear a large swooshing or hissing sound from the engine bay when you wack the throttle but you still don't go anywhere because the air is being pushed out and not into the engine.

Find the massive boost leak. Are the meth bungs and MAP sensor inlets properly fitted? Is the intersection between both pipes actually joined? How about the intercooler and manifold connections? If you didnt put the clip back on the intercooler connection is comes right off with any pressure. Is your MAP sensor plugged in/not toasted from the involuntary upgrade?
14' Alpine White M235i 6MT, BM3 Stg2+, VRSF DP-CP-FMIC, Dinan Muffler, GFB DV+, 3.5 bar MAP, Dorch Stg1 HPFP, NGK 97506, BM3 Flexfuel Kit, CDV delete, KW V3, EDC delete, Powerflex Camber LCA bushings, VMR 801 18x8.5/9.5 et45, Conti Extremecontact 235/265

Next step: M2 Competition or Manual Supra MKV build Summer 2022
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #4
B5toE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 M235

Thanks for the quick responses. I have definitely never looked at logs before but it looked like the lack of boost was a problem.
Ill have a look at everything today and make sure its tightly connected.

I bought the VRSF charge pipe and when looking at the inside of it I could see some light leaking through where the bungs were welded to the pipe…that wouldn’t cause this would it?

*edit* are you saying the MAP could be bad also?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 09:46 PM   #5
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5toE92 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I have definitely never looked at logs before but it looked like the lack of boost was a problem.
Ill have a look at everything today and make sure its tightly connected.

I bought the VRSF charge pipe and when looking at the inside of it I could see some light leaking through where the bungs were welded to the pipe…that wouldn't cause this would it?

*edit* are you saying the MAP could be bad also?
Hey OP, did you ever solve the boost leak?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 12:44 PM   #6
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3 View Post
In my experience this is typically either the meth bung's not seated properly, or at all. The two way directional gasket is backwards or not seating correctly, issue at the MAP sensor gasket.

ALTERNATIVELY, what happened to me was similar and everything was installed correctly so I was told they reset adaptations and everything was good. (I previously DIY'd it and installed it and uninstalled it 4-5 times to ensure I did everything correctly and was stumped and had to bring it in)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:22 PM   #7
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwat View Post
In my experience this is typically either the meth bung's not seated properly, or at all. The two way directional gasket is backwards or not seating correctly, issue at the MAP sensor gasket.

ALTERNATIVELY, what happened to me was similar and everything was installed correctly so I was told they reset adaptations and everything was good. (I previously DIY'd it and installed it and uninstalled it 4-5 times to ensure I did everything correctly and was stumped and had to bring it in)
I will piggy back this, because I just solved the boost leak/rich condition (P0172) that I was having after installing an Intake and chargepipe.

Make sure the T-Bolt clamps on the charge pipe coupler are fully tight/snug, as well as the meth bungs, the MAF/MAP bolts, the 2 pcv hoses, and any other hose clamp in the area. Make sure they are all tight.

And like mwat mentioned, in some cases the software adaptations just needs to get Reset.
Appreciate 0