THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M240i - Long-Term, Reliable Power Gains

02-24-2022, 03:20 PM   #23
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHP to B58 View Post
Custom-made oil catch can is going on tomorrow, along with the rock guards.

RealOEM's diagram based on a June 2017 production-dated 2017 MY M240i shows two rock guards, one below and one above.

Decided to go the OE route instead; picked up two rock guards (17118485042) and a left and right mount (17119487032 and 17119487033). If it turns out just one is needed then great, I'll return the other one.

Changed the oil again after 5k miles (currently 40k); sent a sample over to Blackstone Labs. Liqui-Moly Top Tec 6200 0W-20. If all is well then I may shoot for MHD stage 2 before June ends. Maybe 2+ if I can find a HPFP.
Hey, I was wondering if you got the rock guards in? I was looking at doing that and was curious how much work it was. Was it hard to get the mounting brackets on? I bought the guard a while ago but never got around to putting it in. My car is at the dealer for replacement of the small left radiator that was taken out by a piece of glass. They also make a rock guards for both small radiators as well.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #24
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Custom-made oil catch can is going on tomorrow
Any update...anything at all?
Appreciate 1
jordan24c128.00
      03-10-2022, 10:21 PM   #25
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Car is now just under 60k miles.

To recap....

35k miles: turbo blanket went on. On cold nights back then, after some spirited driving (nothing aggressive), I could feel the heat emanating from the area behind the AC unit aka the turbo. Went away post-turbo blanket install.

36k miles: eBay catless downpipe installed. No engine or transmission tune. MPG was more or less the same with a negligible power increase and much louder cold start.

42k miles: Changed all spark plugs (gapped NGKs), transmission fluid & filter (Liqui-Moly Top Tec 1800 ATF). Then flashed stage 2 MHD 91 octane map, along with XHP stage 3.

45k miles: Finally got around to getting the custom oil catch can on. Less than $100 spent.

At some point post-tunes, I would misfire while on WOT on the freeway. It'd typically be in a lower gear, below 50MPH, and after hitting around 3.5k RPMs, acceleration cuts off and stutters, while a loud bang can be heard. Never happens when cruising/driving normally - only when WOT and in a lower gear/MPH. Doesn't happen when say in 7th or 8th gear, rolling start at >70MPH.

Pulled codes - nothing, aside from the CEL/codes because of the catless downpipe. (Contrary to what people say, having a tune doesn't clear it forever. MHD just clears it temporarily, and then it comes back on later.)

Fast forward to now, 60k miles. Replaced all spark plugs again with Champions (gapped), and Eldor ignition coils. Thought that would fix the issue.

Nope. Still misfires when WOT. But again - no error codes, and this time, the car seems to like the gapped Champion plugs and Eldor ignition coils - misfiring under WOT aside, MPG went up to mid 20's (I do 50/50 highway and city street driving).

I did flash to MHD's 95 octane map a few times while having 76's Sunoco 100 octane race fuel in the tank. Slight bump in power but still misfired.

At 60k miles, I'll (hopefully) be getting around to having the Gen 2 B58 TU HPFP installed soon - although from reading around online, it seems like the misfiring could be more indicative of an injector issue. Makes sense if that's the case, since it's hard to believe that pump gas could cause this despite brand new spark plugs and ignition coils. Will diagnose and replace all fuel injectors if needed.

Will update later on but so far, enjoying the low 400s HP to the wheels just fine without LSD on stock staggered wheels and about-to-be-replaced tires. More than enough power as-is for the type of driving that I do. MPG is mid to high 20's. No codes. TU HPFP was meant to be more of a preventive thing rather than allow for ethanol blends (will only ever go up to MHD Stage 2+ 95 map only; no ethanol plans).

Been doing oil changes every 5k miles with Liqui-Moly 0W-20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Any update...anything at all?
I ended up returning them to the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy1 View Post
Hey, I was wondering if you got the rock guards in? I was looking at doing that and was curious how much work it was. Was it hard to get the mounting brackets on? I bought the guard a while ago but never got around to putting it in. My car is at the dealer for replacement of the small left radiator that was taken out by a piece of glass. They also make a rock guards for both small radiators as well.

Pat
Appreciate 2
jordan24c128.00
dradernh4347.50
      04-05-2022, 03:02 PM   #26
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Passed 60k miles over the weekend. Changed the oil (Liqui-Moly Top Tec 6200 0W-20) and filter (Hengst). Starting with the next oil change (at 65k), will be switching to 0W-30.

Shipped off an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Last one was done at 40k miles and came back perfect/all in-line with normal levels.

Finally checked the catch can during the oil change - from the install at 45k to now, at 60k - there was only two droplets' worth of fluid.

CEL was flashing recently but it was a false alarm. MHD updated their tune recently; pressing and holding the BC button on the stalk triggers a multi-map change. Also resets the average MPG reading, which was what I was doing.
Appreciate 1
jordan24c128.00
      04-08-2022, 06:05 PM   #27
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Passed 60k miles over the weekend. Changed the oil (Liqui-Moly Top Tec 6200 0W-20) and filter (Hengst). Starting with the next oil change (at 65k), will be switching to 0W-30.

Shipped off an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Last one was done at 40k miles and came back perfect/all in-line with normal levels.

Finally checked the catch can during the oil change - from the install at 45k to now, at 60k - there was only two droplets' worth of fluid.

CEL was flashing recently but it was a false alarm. MHD updated their tune recently; pressing and holding the BC button on the stalk triggers a multi-map change. Also resets the average MPG reading, which was what I was doing.
whats the status on your fuel injector issue? Curious about this as its a reoccurring failure they're discussing more with the 3/4 series, but same engine obviously.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 01:52 AM   #28
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I sent in some logs to MHD. Their emailed response was basic; said my fuel pressure drops (obviously), but that the injectors can handle way more than just 91 octane pump gas. Suggested that I may have a weak pump.

I still haven't put in the brand new gen 2 B58TU HPFP - waiting on the harness extension. Will aim to put it in next weekend and see if that fixes the issue.

The one thing I've noticed though is that when I have burbles set to "hard" (duration is only 0.8 to 1.2 sec), it seems to misfire a lot more under load. With burbles completely off, it misfires less, if at all. As usual, no codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
whats the status on your fuel injector issue? Curious about this as its a reoccurring failure they're discussing more with the 3/4 series, but same engine obviously.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 02:05 PM   #29
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
I sent in some logs to MHD. Their emailed response was basic; said my fuel pressure drops (obviously), but that the injectors can handle way more than just 91 octane pump gas. Suggested that I may have a weak pump.

I still haven't put in the brand new gen 2 B58TU HPFP - waiting on the harness extension. Will aim to put it in next weekend and see if that fixes the issue.

The one thing I've noticed though is that when I have burbles set to "hard" (duration is only 0.8 to 1.2 sec), it seems to misfire a lot more under load. With burbles completely off, it misfires less, if at all. As usual, no codes.
Do your misfire happen mostly under WOT uphill?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 10:17 PM   #30
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
Do your misfire happen mostly under WOT uphill?
No. I have never & would never go WOT uphill. Or downhill.

I only punch it when...

1. Engine/oil/tires have already warmed up. Usually means having driven at least 15 miles or so, if not more.

2. Rolling starts. Never launched before nor do I plan to. Ex: going 45MPH onto a highway on-ramp > see that it's clear ahead > WOT. I'm never looking at the dash the few times I've done this so I don't know what gear it's in or the RPM but it's always the same. Loud gunshots followed by lurching and loss of power. No codes/CEL/shadow codes ever appear, nor does anything indicate that something like that even happened. Let off the gas right away and everything is back to normal.

It does seem to happen more often when burbles are on but not even active (WOT in Comfort mode; burbles only happen in Sport+).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 01:13 PM   #31
Shadysu
Private
Rep

Quote:
No. I have never & would never go WOT uphill. Or downhill.

I only punch it when...

1. Engine/oil/tires have already warmed up. Usually means having driven at least 15 miles or so, if not more.

2. Rolling starts. Never launched before nor do I plan to. Ex: going 45MPH onto a highway on-ramp > see that it's clear ahead > WOT. I'm never looking at the dash the few times I've done this so I don't know what gear it's in or the RPM but it's always the same. Loud gunshots followed by lurching and loss of power. No codes/CEL/shadow codes ever appear, nor does anything indicate that something like that even happened. Let off the gas right away and everything is back to normal.

It does seem to happen more often when burbles are on but not even active (WOT in Comfort mode; burbles only happen in Sport+).

Have you tried completely turning off burbles?
I've been running MHD 93/91 for the past two months on my m240i, Running 5w30, VRSF Downpipe, XHP Stage 3, and a drop in filter, everything else is as I got from the dealer, Haven't had any missfires, and i've even used a flame map, haven't had misfires in the car once, but I never run burbles, I only use the *Braap* feature, and then flames for whenever im on my flame map.

This is on regular stage 2, not +
Canadian Petro 91/94 for my fill ups.

2017 F22 M240i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 12:11 AM   #32
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadysu View Post
Have you tried completely turning off burbles?
I've been running MHD 93/91 for the past two months on my m240i, Running 5w30, VRSF Downpipe, XHP Stage 3, and a drop in filter, everything else is as I got from the dealer, Haven't had any missfires, and i've even used a flame map, haven't had misfires in the car once, but I never run burbles, I only use the *Braap* feature, and then flames for whenever im on my flame map.

This is on regular stage 2, not +
Canadian Petro 91/94 for my fill ups.
Yes, when burbles are completely off, it seems to be fine. That's my current setting now and I haven't changed it since.

Just seems odd since this doesn't exactly fix the issue as I'm not any closer to figuring out why it only misfires with burbles on.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 12:32 PM   #33
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Yes, when burbles are completely off, it seems to be fine. That's my current setting now and I haven't changed it since.

Just seems odd since this doesn't exactly fix the issue as I'm not any closer to figuring out why it only misfires with burbles on.
As the burbles are created by adding more fuel and causing much of it to be expelled into the exhaust un-burnt, the plugs could be partly fouled and misfire until they self clean.

Burbles sound neat, but can be hard on the engine components and catalytic converter.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 12:45 PM   #34
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Almost at 65k miles now. Just installed the TU HPFP, filled up 100 octane, ran stage 2 HPFP 95 octane map. Feels like a whole different car than when it was on the stock HPFP and stage 2 95 octane map.

Did the install more so because I was misfiring under WOT even with burbles, overrun brap, cold start, and startup roar off. Changing the ignition coils and spark plugs all at the same time didn't fix the issue.

Now it doesn't misfire at all.

Checked the OCC after about 20k miles post-install and it only accumulated about 5 drops of fluid.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #35
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Almost at 65k miles now. Just installed the TU HPFP, filled up 100 octane, ran stage 2 HPFP 95 octane map. Feels like a whole different car than when it was on the stock HPFP and stage 2 95 octane map.

Did the install more so because I was misfiring under WOT even with burbles, overrun brap, cold start, and startup roar off. Changing the ignition coils and spark plugs all at the same time didn't fix the issue.

Now it doesn't misfire at all.

Checked the OCC after about 20k miles post-install and it only accumulated about 5 drops of fluid.
So have you checked logs after to see if the new HPFP fixed the fueling issue?

Also, regarding the extension, its no longer necessary. the b58 fb group cracked the code on it, the power plug can be rotated.

Hopefully the fuel pump fixes it. There's a lot of guys jumping to replace spark plugs and coils because its easier than fuel injectors, but honestly, if you have a fuel injector related issue, hopefully you catch it early on, as long term failure can be catastrophic.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #36
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did pull some logs then and emailed them over to MHD back when I had the stock HPFP on. They just said it's probably the HPFP and had nothing else to add.

I installed the TU HPFP and used the Fuel-It extension anyway.

No longer misfires under any circumstance - even turned burbles on again (aggressive) and under WOT > still no misfiring.

Think I'm done with power-related mods at this point. I did fill up on 100 octane > flash stage 2 HPFP but 95 octane map since that's the highest that it goes for gas/non-E blends. Decent difference in power - enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
So have you checked logs after to see if the new HPFP fixed the fueling issue?

Also, regarding the extension, its no longer necessary. the b58 fb group cracked the code on it, the power plug can be rotated.

Hopefully the fuel pump fixes it. There's a lot of guys jumping to replace spark plugs and coils because its easier than fuel injectors, but honestly, if you have a fuel injector related issue, hopefully you catch it early on, as long term failure can be catastrophic.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 10:03 AM   #37
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I've never heard of burbles or brap being associated with misfires and i know that you are now reporting that with the upgrade hpfp you're good, do we conclude that it was related or no?
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 01:55 PM   #38
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Sooooo what's the consensus with these cars and catted downpipes? Would reliability be negatively affected by adding a catted dp such as an AA or CG Precision without a tune?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 05:35 PM   #39
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta ST to M240i View Post
Sooooo what's the consensus with these cars and catted downpipes? Would reliability be negatively affected by adding a catted dp such as an AA or CG Precision without a tune?
No. It lower the resistance for the turbo (aka positive change) so beside a possible CEL there should be no negative effect
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 07:41 PM   #40
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

All I can tell you is that based on my car/experience:

1. Catless downpipe, no other mods or tune: no misfires. Both MPG and power difference were negligible as expected without a tune.
2. Catless downpipe, stage 2, 91 octane map: misfires. Even if the tank was full of 100 octane.
3. Catless downpipe, stage 2+, 95 octane map, TU HPFP: not a single misfire since. MPG went down significantly. I'm getting low 200 miles before the warning light comes on, vs. previously mid to high 200s. I have burbles, cold start, and startup roar off (overrun brap is OEM since there's no "off"), but maxed out the burbles post-TU HPFP install and went WOT. Didn't misfire.

Prior to installing the TU HPFP, I had European Auto Source replace all spark plugs and ignition coils since I thought the misfiring had to be due to one or both parts. Still misfired, same-day.

I do conclude that the misfiring in my case was the stock HPFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnat View Post
I've never heard of burbles or brap being associated with misfires and i know that you are now reporting that with the upgrade hpfp you're good, do we conclude that it was related or no?
The cheap eBay catless downpipe I have is still just fine. I had it one without any other mods or a tune for about 10k miles and there was nothing wrong with the car. Was slightly more responsive on the gas, sounded noticeably louder at startup, and had a negligible MPG difference.

Catted just means there's a much higher likelihood that the CEL won't trigger. I've been running stage 2 with various octane maps depending on the occasion with a catless downpipe for about 30k miles now - no codes/issues.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2010.50
      07-19-2022, 04:27 PM   #41
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
All I can tell you is that based on my car/experience:

1. Catless downpipe, no other mods or tune: no misfires. Both MPG and power difference were negligible as expected without a tune.
2. Catless downpipe, stage 2, 91 octane map: misfires. Even if the tank was full of 100 octane.
3. Catless downpipe, stage 2+, 95 octane map, TU HPFP: not a single misfire since. MPG went down significantly. I'm getting low 200 miles before the warning light comes on, vs. previously mid to high 200s. I have burbles, cold start, and startup roar off (overrun brap is OEM since there's no "off"), but maxed out the burbles post-TU HPFP install and went WOT. Didn't misfire.

Prior to installing the TU HPFP, I had European Auto Source replace all spark plugs and ignition coils since I thought the misfiring had to be due to one or both parts. Still misfired, same-day.

I do conclude that the misfiring in my case was the stock HPFP.

The cheap eBay catless downpipe I have is still just fine. I had it one without any other mods or a tune for about 10k miles and there was nothing wrong with the car. Was slightly more responsive on the gas, sounded noticeably louder at startup, and had a negligible MPG difference.

Catted just means there's a much higher likelihood that the CEL won't trigger. I've been running stage 2 with various octane maps depending on the occasion with a catless downpipe for about 30k miles now - no codes/issues.
This thread has piqued my curiosity since you have very similar mods on your 240. I have a couple questions for you:

How does the MHD stage 2+ HPFP tune feel compared to the other stages? I'm just about to install the TU pump and plan to run the Stage 2+ 93 map with a couple gallons of E85 in the tank.

How did you identify the misfire....was it a feeling or obvious in logs?

What is the recommendation for replacing coils with tuning these cars? I just did my plugs a couple weeks back and was thinking about it.
      07-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #42
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
This thread has piqued my curiosity since you have very similar mods on your 240. I have a couple questions for you:

How does the MHD stage 2+ HPFP tune feel compared to the other stages? I'm just about to install the TU pump and plan to run the Stage 2+ 93 map with a couple gallons of E85 in the tank.

How did you identify the misfire....was it a feeling or obvious in logs?

What is the recommendation for replacing coils with tuning these cars? I just did my plugs a couple weeks back and was thinking about it.
When I say misfire, I mean the car stutters and slows down, followed by loud gunshots from around the midsection and not the exhaust (it's stock), even with burbles/cold start/overrun brap completely off. It's very prominent.

The codes would also show that fuel pressure is outside normal parameters.

Post-TU HPFP, never misfired again, nor did any codes reappear.

I don't typically follow BMW's (or anyone's) service intervals nor am I aware of them. I bought the car as a CPO at 35k miles but did the plugs and coils at 60k since the misfiring became more frequent at the time. Will probably keep the same spark plug change interval, but leave the coils alone until at least 80k miles.

Lastly, I was previously misfiring under load at stage 2, any octane map - even with 100 octane in the tank. So now that it's running properly, stage 2+ with either 93 or 95 octane map (there's no 91) feels noticeably faster since I never even had a chance to properly go WOT on stage 2 with the stock HPFP.

I don't track/autocross/do dyno runs but the few random rolling pulls here and there with various cars while running stage 2+ on the 95 octane map were and still are more than enough to keep me satisfied.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2010.50
      07-19-2022, 08:32 PM   #43
Fiesta ST to M240i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
When I say misfire, I mean the car stutters and slows down, followed by loud gunshots from around the midsection and not the exhaust (it's stock), even with burbles/cold start/overrun brap completely off. It's very prominent.

The codes would also show that fuel pressure is outside normal parameters.

Post-TU HPFP, never misfired again, nor did any codes reappear.

I don't typically follow BMW's (or anyone's) service intervals nor am I aware of them. I bought the car as a CPO at 35k miles but did the plugs and coils at 60k since the misfiring became more frequent at the time. Will probably keep the same spark plug change interval, but leave the coils alone until at least 80k miles.

Lastly, I was previously misfiring under load at stage 2, any octane map - even with 100 octane in the tank. So now that it's running properly, stage 2+ with either 93 or 95 octane map (there's no 91) feels noticeably faster since I never even had a chance to properly go WOT on stage 2 with the stock HPFP.

I don't track/autocross/do dyno runs but the few random rolling pulls here and there with various cars while running stage 2+ on the 95 octane map were and still are more than enough to keep me satisfied.
Could it be the OTS map? Ever consider a pro tune?

I've asked one tuner thus far about a "stage 2" tune and they suggested OEM spark plugs to pair with the downpipe and that's it

Maybe the fuel pumps are different across B58s? I know there's the updated one but do all 2018 B58 share the same pump or does a 240 have a different one than a 440 for instance.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2010.50
      07-20-2022, 09:16 AM   #44
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Could it be the OTS map? Ever consider a pro tune?

I've asked one tuner thus far about a "stage 2" tune and they suggested OEM spark plugs to pair with the downpipe and that's it

Maybe the fuel pumps are different across B58s? I know there's the updated one but do all 2018 B58 share the same pump or does a 240 have a different one than a 440 for instance.
Gen 1 B58's have the lower rail pressure rated HPFP, whereas the Gen 2 B58's have the TU pump which has like double the rail pressure. I don't know the split between which cars are Gen 1 or 2 but my car (2019 M240i) is Gen 1. I think the M240i doesn't get the Gen 2 until the 2022 model year. For the other models I have no idea. I have the Gen 2 TU pump in my garage right now awaiting install. It's a no-brainer mod when tuning these cars and especially if you plan to use ethanol.