THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Oil Catch-Can

06-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #1
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Oil Catch-Can

I've got 80k miles on my N55, and its got excessive oil in the charge pipe. Looking to get a catch-can ordered pretty much today, just cleaned my maf sensor for the 2nd time in a month or so due to the oil residue.

What Catch-can setups are known to work with little extra modification to the system? Any help is appreciated.

Was looking at this : https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...or-f30-n55-bmw
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
ctt300
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Our N55’s should not need a catch can, as they do not have the PCV oil blowby issue the prior N54’s had. I’ve taken my intake manifold off to upgrade my HPFP and the intake valves had barely anything on them after 85000 miles. What oil have you been running? If not already using a good oil like Castrol 0W40 or 5W40 European Car Formula or other Euro or LL01 BMW certified oil, then try that first. These oils also carry other comprehensive certs like Porsche A40 and Mercedes. Less volatility and vapors from those.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-10-2022, 04:01 PM   #3
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Agree - Gunk on Intake is Minimal with N55

I am nearing 75K on my M235i and have inspected the Intake Valves when
I replaced the OFHG (pulled off intake to get access to back bolt).
My intakes looked amazingly clean as compared to my old 07' 335i N54.
In n effort to keep things clean a low NOACK oil like the PPE oil around 7% or less is encouraged. I do have an OCC (Mann+Hummel) on wife's diesel and I really like the design and it really works great.
I am thinking at 100k of getting a NEW valve cover and walnut blasting the intake valves (I have all the stuff & experience from prior car) which should not take very long. This will provide me with a new oil separator built into the Valve Cover. Just not sure as to which VC to get (OEM, Febi-Bilstein, REIN) ???
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 08:36 PM   #4
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

The burger tuning can works like a charm. It won't clean everything up overnight though, your intercooler is probably already full of oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #5
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt300 View Post
Our N55’s should not need a catch can, as they do not have the PCV oil blowby issue the prior N54’s had. I’ve taken my intake manifold off to upgrade my HPFP and the intake valves had barely anything on them after 85000 miles. What oil have you been running? If not already using a good oil like Castrol 0W40 or 5W40 European Car Formula or other Euro or LL01 BMW certified oil, then try that first. These oils also carry other comprehensive certs like Porsche A40 and Mercedes. Less volatility and vapors from those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
I am nearing 75K on my M235i and have inspected the Intake Valves when
I replaced the OFHG (pulled off intake to get access to back bolt).
My intakes looked amazingly clean as compared to my old 07' 335i N54.
In n effort to keep things clean a low NOACK oil like the PPE oil around 7% or less is encouraged. I do have an OCC (Mann+Hummel) on wife's diesel and I really like the design and it really works great.
I am thinking at 100k of getting a NEW valve cover and walnut blasting the intake valves (I have all the stuff & experience from prior car) which should not take very long. This will provide me with a new oil separator built into the Valve Cover. Just not sure as to which VC to get (OEM, Febi-Bilstein, REIN) ???
Weird, I've read other reports that still say oiling can be an issue. Can't say what oil was already in it.

I put Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro spec in last week when i did my oil change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
The burger tuning can works like a charm. It won't clean everything up overnight though, your intercooler is probably already full of oil.
Yea, good point. I was thinking the stock FMIC is probably part of the issue. Was planning on FMIC upgrade and catless dp next anyway. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #6
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

M1 0W-40

NOACK of 8.8% as compared to others available in the 6% range.
Plus I don't us a 0W oil because of potential oil getting past the P. Rings
I use a 5W-40 oil & would only use 0W if needed.
I had a Burger OCC on the N54 and did capture some oil -- it was OK and was free flowing.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 01:44 PM   #7
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

yea, it was available on hand vs waiting for shipping for liquid moly or the like. next oil change we can move up...
I've liked the free flowing nature of 0w, and since im in a climate where its pretty much always warm or hot it works well. though you pose a point that could also be an/the issue

That's good to hear about the burger catch can.
Appreciate 0