THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Electric Wastegate Issue After Tuning

08-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
VerySlowM235i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235iX

Unhappy Electric Wastegate Issue After Tuning

Hi all,

I've finally decided to get input on a situation I've been facing for a while. I had my car tuned (stage 2 - FMIC & Catless DP) and the car has been performing very well. However, from the day I picked it up from the shop, I've been getting the following codes:
'123432 - Electric wastegate, stop learning: Stop position (wastegate closed) outside of tolerance'
'120408 - Boost pressure control: shutdown as a follow-up reaction'

The car gives a drivetrain malfunction when this occurs on startup and enters limp mode. The interesting part is I only get these codes after the car has been driven (warmed up) and I turn it on while the temps are still relatively high. If the car is cold and I start it, I never get these codes. Typically once I get the codes after a warm start, I turn the car off and clear the codes and after I turn it back on, I don't get the codes and it drives fine.

I'm trying to get a second opinion before I take it to BMW to have them diagnose the issue, but I've been thinking it's the actuator for the wastegate that is bad or if the wastegate linkage needs adjustment. Please let me know your opinions on the issue.

2015 Bmw m235i xdrive (8 spd) tuned with MHD.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #2
este
N54 to N55
Rep
Drives: e92 335i (sold) / M235i 6mt

Have you tried flashing back to stock and see if error codes continue?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #3
Efftooto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

I'd find an independent garage to do your diagnosis. Stay away from the Stealership at all costs. Good luck with the issue; you should change out your charge pipe - it's going to bust with that tune.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
Jayrhee7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySlowM235i View Post
Hi all,

I've finally decided to get input on a situation I've been facing for a while. I had my car tuned (stage 2 - FMIC & Catless DP) and the car has been performing very well. However, from the day I picked it up from the shop, I've been getting the following codes:
'123432 - Electric wastegate, stop learning: Stop position (wastegate closed) outside of tolerance'
'120408 - Boost pressure control: shutdown as a follow-up reaction'

The car gives a drivetrain malfunction when this occurs on startup and enters limp mode. The interesting part is I only get these codes after the car has been driven (warmed up) and I turn it on while the temps are still relatively high. If the car is cold and I start it, I never get these codes. Typically once I get the codes after a warm start, I turn the car off and clear the codes and after I turn it back on, I don't get the codes and it drives fine.

I'm trying to get a second opinion before I take it to BMW to have them diagnose the issue, but I've been thinking it's the actuator for the wastegate that is bad or if the wastegate linkage needs adjustment. Please let me know your opinions on the issue.

2015 Bmw m235i xdrive (8 spd) tuned with MHD.

Thanks!
Curious, have you had this issue resolved? If so, what was the main issue and fix? Having this exact issue at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:05 PM   #5
VerySlowM235i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrhee7 View Post
Curious, have you had this issue resolved? If so, what was the main issue and fix? Having this exact issue at the moment.
Sorry for the late reply, but better late than never right? The issue was resolved by adjusting the wastegate using ISTA test plan. There is a test plan that will tell you how to adjust it (2 loosening nuts on the waste gate linkage).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 05:10 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySlowM235i View Post
Sorry for the late reply, but better late than never right? The issue was resolved by adjusting the wastegate using ISTA test plan. There is a test plan that will tell you how to adjust it (2 loosening nuts on the waste gate linkage).

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 12:44 AM   #7
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
How difficult is it to do EWG wastegate adjustment? What has to come out in order to get to the adjustment bolt?