THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Added sub is weaker than expected

11-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Added sub is weaker than expected

I added an amp and sub to the stock HK system and while it's a significant of at improvement, I'm sort of surprised the sub doesn't perform better.

I have a JLamp that is putting out 1000 wattsRMS at 2 ohms. I have a 15" Rockford Fosgate P3D2 in a sealed enclosure. It thumps OK, but I expected more. What I'm wondering is if the underperformance has to do with the signal coming out of the HU or if the JL amp is the culprit (or is it something else)? I'll freely admit, I don't know much about car electronics and I had the install done by another party. Anyway, if there is a relatively easy solution, I welcome it. I had this sub in another car and it hit much harder (different amp at almost the same power).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
I added an amp and sub to the stock HK system and while it's a significant of at improvement, I'm sort of surprised the sub doesn't perform better.

I have a JLamp that is putting out 1000 wattsRMS at 2 ohms. I have a 15" Rockford Fosgate P3D2 in a sealed enclosure. It thumps OK, but I expected more. What I'm wondering is if the underperformance has to do with the signal coming out of the HU or if the JL amp is the culprit (or is it something else)? I'll freely admit, I don't know much about car electronics and I had the install done by another party. Anyway, if there is a relatively easy solution, I welcome it. I had this sub in another car and it hit much harder (different amp at almost the same power).
I bet $1 that the "other party" tapped the rear speakers for the sub. There is no bass in the rear speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #3
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:

I bet $1 that the "other party" tapped the rear speakers for the sub. There is no bass in the rear speakers.
That's correct. Can it be re-done?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Tap the woofers.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Quote:
Tap the woofers.
It dawned on me that it might be that stupidly simple.

Will do.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:29 AM   #6
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Any pics of the setup?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:42 AM   #7
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
Any pics of the setup?
Nothing that shows where the wiring went. Just the amp stuck to the back of the seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You're best off using Technic's add an amp harness, no need to tap anything.
Appreciate 1
H2O_Doc512.50
      11-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
TropikThunder
Private
Rep
Drives: current: 330i next: x3 M40i

Quote:
I'll freely admit, I don't know much about car electronics and I had the install done by another party. Anyway, if there is a relatively easy solution, I welcome it. I had this sub in another car and it hit much harder (different amp at almost the same power).
The signal coming from a stereo head unit is full range, 20-20,000 Hz or so, covering low bass all the way to high treble. The amplifier/signal processor (even the non-HK audio system has one) does two things: it increases power to make it listenable and also routes different parts of the frequency range to the correct speakers (lows to the subs under the seats, highs to the tweeters in the door sail panel, everything in between to the mid ranges in the doors.

By design, the signal arriving at the rear deck/door speakers is not full range, it's cut off by the amp to not send anything below 150Hz. If that's the starting point for the sub amp, then there's no way the sub will hit hard since it's not being "fed" anything below 150Hz (hard punchy bass is well below 100Hz).

If the installer didn't know the car has a processor, they may have assumed the signal they were tapping in to was full range when it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
+1. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #10
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropikThunder View Post
Quote:
I'll freely admit, I don't know much about car electronics and I had the install done by another party. Anyway, if there is a relatively easy solution, I welcome it. I had this sub in another car and it hit much harder (different amp at almost the same power).
The signal coming from a stereo head unit is full range, 20-20,000 Hz or so, covering low bass all the way to high treble. The amplifier/signal processor (even the non-HK audio system has one) does two things: it increases power to make it listenable and also routes different parts of the frequency range to the correct speakers (lows to the subs under the seats, highs to the tweeters in the door sail panel, everything in between to the mid ranges in the doors.

By design, the signal arriving at the rear deck/door speakers is not full range, it's cut off by the amp to not send anything below 150Hz. If that's the starting point for the sub amp, then there's no way the sub will hit hard since it's not being "fed" anything below 150Hz (hard punchy bass is well below 100Hz).

If the installer didn't know the car has a processor, they may have assumed the signal they were tapping in to was full range when it's not.

Quote:
+1. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
Well I do get some signal. I assume the frequency drops off as a slope and not immediately to zero, correct so that might account for the bass I am getting. Again, I am getting some bass, just not what I should (in my opinion) from a 15" fed 1000 watts rms and that only requires 600.

I want to make sure I'm chasing a real and the right problem.

And, yes, I know a 15" sub in a 2 series is a bit ridiculous : )
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #11
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking into this. Considering options for doors and rear deck.

Thanks much for the suggestion
Appreciate 0