THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics GRS Speakers?

03-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

GRS Speakers?

Has anyone have experience with GRS (great replacement speaker) from Parts Express?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
Swainbeatzz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Has anyone have experience with GRS (great replacement speaker) from Parts Express?
I replaced all my speakers with the GRS. I think my car had the hifi system in it. (2016 428i) They noticeable sound better but not a huge upgrade. I replaced the subs under the seat with Earthquake subs. Maybe the factory amp isn't powerful enough because I still have to turn it up almost 3 quarters of the way to get the music like I like it. Before 3 quarters of the way was still loud, but I would get the crackling noise with the factory speakers. I don't get the crackling noise but its hard to judge how much of an improvement it is. They're better but not blow you away better.

I've had them in for almost 30 days. I was thinking about returning them and trying the Bavsound but I don't want to strip everything out and send it back if the Bavsound are not blow you away better either. Maybe I will try the Bavsound amp with the GRS and see how they sound then. I came across this post because I was trying to see if someone had compared the GRS with Bavsound. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for with your music.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #3
gianttcr
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 SG E92

Not sure if you ever moved on these GRS

Just saw this, and no idea if my reply is relevant at this point, especially as they are almost impossible to find now. Short story, these speakers ROCK. I have them in every late-model car we have (e92, e89, e88). If they made drop-ins for my e46, they'd be in there too.
Robust little SO*s, especially for the price, and pretty musical for the size. Plus, they look cool (not that you can see them). I've got them in 8" and 4" (mid) in my 335xi, 4" (mid & coax) in my wife's Z43.0, and 4" (8" Focal) in my 135i, and none are seeing less than 100w (150+ in the E-cars).
No super-funky peaks in REW, when I was setting up the Mobridge DSP/EQ, and you can really lay into them before you start to get any break-up. Not quite as musical as Focals, but the advantage is the price, and the ease of install (literally drop-in). Haven't heard the tweets, as I'm using Centos, but imagine the whole set is probably pretty good. 8s rock too. Easily as punchy as the Focals I got.
If you can find them, they are worth it. Even the coaxes don't sound half-bad. I had to buy my last set from Amazon, because GRS/PE doesn't seem to offer them anymore.
Appreciate 0