THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 230i overheating

02-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #1
wetzie
Rep
Drives: 230i XDrive vert

230i overheating

My wife's 230i overheated last night. After waiting 2 hours on the highway for AAA to not show up my friend added a gallon of anti freeze and drove home. She tells me the car displayed a message the car was warm, and after about 10 miles it said the car was hot and to brake gently and pull over, she did.
The car seemed empty of coolant, and I am hoping to poke around and see if I can find the issue. Can anyone suggest a good way to start this process? After the coolant was put in the car indicated it was low on coolant, not sure why it did not say this from the beginning.
I expect to take it to the repair shop, it is tough trying to decide between the dealer and an independent shop.
thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:48 AM   #2
wetzie
Rep
Drives: 230i XDrive vert

I also wanted to mention it is at 58K miles and I would like to do this myself if possible. I ordered spark plugs to begin that and if I am able to locate the likely culprit could try to tackle that. If anyone has some good first places to look that would be great. thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
I would suggest looking at the coolant reservoir hoses and clamps first. If residue is around the clamps it means the seal is broken and new ones are needed. I would also check the hoses. I do not believe there is a hole in the reservoir but it may be possible. A simple fill with water and check to see if it is quickly on the ground will answer that.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

My friend likes Autobahn of Towson, presently he's running a 430 Gran Coupe and a 2003 5-series.

I like the Towson dealer, yeah it's pricier but it's clean and I trust them.

Everything that TAZ007 said. Also when inspecting for the culprit use a bright LED flashlight to shine on the parts, it will highlight the white or shine from the coolant. Also squeeze all the coolant hoses about one or two inches from their connectors, listen for whistling hose and feel to make sure the hose pops back out. Also shine down on the belly pan for any recent liquid stains.

If the weather was warm I would suggest filling the system with distilled water and seeing if it runs dry. But with these cold temps you need the BMW-antifreeze or similar-antifreeze in the system to prevent freeze.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #5
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

60K miles is typical for BMW coolant pump/thermostat failure. Around $1200-1500 at dealers. There was a class action settlement a few years ago.
Appreciate 0