THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i VS X-Drive in Automatic

04-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #133
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Caterhams eat those powerful but lardy Miata's for lunch, breakfast and dinner, every day! Otherwise they are great.
I'll tell you which one I would rather drive to and from the track, especially on a rainy day.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #134
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
I'll tell you which one I would rather drive to and from the track, especially on a rainy day.
It's surprising how little water comes into the Caterham without the windshield fitted when the speed is above 80km, but half roof, doors and windshield can be fitted or removed in 5 minutes. I've driven my Caterham 300km in the rain to the track, noise is more of a hassle than rain, but I just have a motorcycle noise cancelling bluetooth system to alleviate noise and play my tunes!

Once at the track it is no contest, especially with a set of slicks:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      04-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #135
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Frankly you don't need to get the fully decked out Miata (I think it is called the RF?). Get the cheapest and replace the anemic engine. I really would love to know who would pick a fight with that beast.
Caterhams eat those powerful but lardy Miata's for lunch, breakfast and dinner, every day! Otherwise they are great.
Dude caterhams are the purest! That's not even a fair fight at that point. The 620 is a purist's dream come true!

I am curious, which one do you own? Your avatar shows one but I can't tell.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #136
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

Click on the avatar and you’ll see
a nice pic to the upper right.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #137
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
My friend is an Elise owner and i always remember him telling me "The funniest thing about the car is when you pull up next to a Miata at a stop light. The driver will always look over and then get this kind of sad expression on their face."
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #138
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Dude caterhams are the purest! That's not even a fair fight at that point. The 620 is a purist's dream come true!

2012 R400 Superlight R, 210bhp, 525kg. I thought about doing the supercharger upgrade to make it equivalent to the 620R (has all the equivalent suspension, brakes and carbon fibre bits), but there is something about keeping it naturally aspirated and the way the engine revs that is hard to leave behind.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      04-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #139
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

2012 R400 Superlight R, 210bhp, 525kg. I thought about doing the supercharger upgrade to make it equivalent to the 620R (has all the equivalent suspension, brakes and carbon fibre bits), but there is something about keeping it naturally aspirated and the way the engine revs that is hard to leave behind.
Somewhere in this thread I mentioned that I am looking for a purist track toy. Sometimes it takes a tiny bit of inspiration to look in the right direction I have been looking at the Elise/Evoras, and... on paper a Caterham just seems so damn perfect. I actually never gave it a serious thought.

I should start shadowing some caterham forums.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #140
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
In fact not to stir the pot here but who would EVER buy a 4-banger 50k Bimmer over a Miata?... Whenever I see someone driving around a 228/230 I can't help but wonder... what happened?
Umm, the 230 has 4 seats; the MX-5 only has 2.

With two kids, I needed a functional rear seat. I ruled out a lot of nice cars simply because they either didn't have rear seats or they were too small even for kids. When my wife was looking for a convertible, she too had to rule out any 2-seat models. And she loves her 230 convertible; as does one of my daughters. (The other likes it as long as the top is up; top down is a different story with her. She prefers my car.)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #141
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Respectfully, I would challenge your premise. All that sells is not necessarily of value or satisfies the supposed reason for its existence. Your premise does not seem to allow for the human fraility of being susceptible to "conventional wisdom"/"common knowledge". For a more extreme example than we are discussing here, watch how and what people buy in so-called "health stores" with unregulated, unsubstantiated supplements based on no clinical trials or other data. They just "know" that, for example, vitamin C will prevent whatever...and not just waste money while producing expensive urine. The less the actual technical data one has, the more, it seems, people are willing to accept what they believe most people know, and buy in to the story.

In this case, the reason AWD sells (in addition to the valid point made about dealer inventory) runs parallel to why SUVs are dominating the market.

Im familiar with what you're talking about with health stores and supplements, and being in the field myself, I love a good marketing discussion.

The difference between the two is that health stores rely on the placebo effect, which is well known publicly.

AWD vs. RWD can be tested in many specific use cases, scientifically to rule out any placebo effects, or the influence of the halo effect.

Do people get overconfident due to the feature? Absolutely. Does it discount the feature? Absolutely not.

People HATE wearing seatbelts and helmets, that doesnt rule out that its been scientifically proven to increase your odds of surviving a collision, exponentially.

As far as the trend towards SUVs, thats another one thats been well known in the industry for years. It came about when minivans struggled in sales.

It was proven that women as a demographic felt "safer" in SUVs, regardless of the fact that roll-overs were an issue that was prevalent as a risk ONLY in this vehicle class.

conventional wisdom/common knowledge is a little different from driver's overconfidence in their vehicle due to safety features..which is why you see memes passed around that say "your car is all wheel drive/4 wheel drive, not all wheel braking" since so many of our vehicles exist with brakes on only one axle
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #142
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Do people get overconfident due to the feature? Absolutely. Does it discount the feature? Absolutely not.
I never intended to discount the feature, just assess it realistically. I was attempting to answer the question as to "why it sells" generally, not whether it has value of not. Certainly, it has value in specific situations. Just as certainly, it sells to folks who have little to no understanding of its actual pros and cons and are swept up in the "conventional widsom" that it is just a "good thing" to keep them safe. That was the discussion I was attempting.

From the memory files. I recall back a few decades doing a focus group and testing copy that referenced "McPherson struts". Back then, this design feature was touted a lot in marketing. I recall, almost exclusively men, hearing some respondents brag that their car had "McPherson struts". When challenged to explain what that meant and what it did for them, much backpeddling or silence usually followed. This human behavior has not disappeared...it just moves on to new topics over time. As of today, some health department was reporting that they already had 100+ calls asking whether drinking Clorox would really prevent COVID-19. Humans are highly suggestible and gullible, given the right stimulus.

Challenging winters? More torque than 2 tires can put down? Circumstances like that certainly advocate for an AWD system of some sort. For others, the value is far more questionable versus the negatives. The bigger problem may be those who purchase with low information and then think they have an all-situation panacea on the road...and then skip winter tires, for example.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #143
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
From the memory files. I recall back a few decades doing a focus group and testing copy that referenced "McPherson struts". Back then, this design feature was touted a lot in marketing. I recall, almost exclusively men, hearing some respondents brag that their car had "McPherson struts". When challenged to explain what that meant and what it did for them, much backpeddling or silence usually followed.
Awesome. I'm gonna start touting that my car has McPherson struts. When anyone asks me about how that's a good thing, i'll immediately start explaining to them how my car's front suspension setup is far superior to the solid axle front end setups people were using in cars 100 or so years ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #144
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

now if only you had a double wishbone suspension
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      04-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #145
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Challenging winters?
Here, not so much. Our local dealers stock 107 AWD and 4 RWD. The four RWD are RWD-only; otherwise, I imagine they'd be AWD, too.

Louisville is pretty much the same at 106 AWD and 4 RWD. They get around the same 12-inch winters we get, so that makes sense.

Now Nashville, that's a completely different story. With only 4 inches on average, they split 167 AWD / 116 RWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #146
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I never intended to discount the feature, just assess it realistically. I was attempting to answer the question as to "why it sells" generally, not whether it has value of not. Certainly, it has value in specific situations. Just as certainly, it sells to folks who have little to no understanding of its actual pros and cons and are swept up in the "conventional widsom" that it is just a "good thing" to keep them safe. That was the discussion I was attempting.

From the memory files. I recall back a few decades doing a focus group and testing copy that referenced "McPherson struts". Back then, this design feature was touted a lot in marketing. I recall, almost exclusively men, hearing some respondents brag that their car had "McPherson struts". When challenged to explain what that meant and what it did for them, much backpeddling or silence usually followed. This human behavior has not disappeared...it just moves on to new topics over time. As of today, some health department was reporting that they already had 100+ calls asking whether drinking Clorox would really prevent COVID-19. Humans are highly suggestible and gullible, given the right stimulus.

Challenging winters? More torque than 2 tires can put down? Circumstances like that certainly advocate for an AWD system of some sort. For others, the value is far more questionable versus the negatives. The bigger problem may be those who purchase with low information and then think they have an all-situation panacea on the road...and then skip winter tires, for example.
I dont disagree with your example, just the relevance in the overall buying decision.

Brembo brakes can be used similarly as the struts. You can get buick regals with brembo brakes on them now. They are a selling point, but not the overall deciding factor.

I dont believe that people were making purchase decisions based solely on brembo brakes, or macpherson struts.

the "why it sells" would come and go at this point, if it was indeed irrelevant, in the same way that you dont hear much about macpherson struts anymore.

I think we're ultimately saying the same thing.

Did awd vehicle sales get boosted by the halo effect, and overconfidence inspired by the premise of safety? Very much so.

Is AWD marketing hype? at this point, I dont believe so..and the proof exists to back it. Safety AND performance both stand to benefit. The m5 with xdrive speaks for itself.
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      04-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #147
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I dont disagree with your example, just the relevance in the overall buying decision.

Brembo brakes can be used similarly as the struts. You can get buick regals with brembo brakes on them now. They are a selling point, but not the overall deciding factor.

I dont believe that people were making purchase decisions based solely on brembo brakes, or macpherson struts.

the "why it sells" would come and go at this point, if it was indeed irrelevant, in the same way that you dont hear much about macpherson struts anymore.

Did awd vehicle sales get boosted by the halo effect, and overconfidence inspired by the premise of safety? Very much so.

Is AWD marketing hype? at this point, I dont believe so..and the proof exists to back it. Safety AND performance both stand to benefit. The m5 with xdrive speaks for itself.
It is not fun if it isn't a marketing conspiracy. Come on, stop making sense.

I personally think the popularity of the internal combustion engine was a marketing conspiracy. Horse drawn carriages were just fine! On snow, on ice, on grass... yup, will do the trick!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 12:49 AM   #148
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is not fun if it isn't a marketing conspiracy. Come on, stop making sense.

I personally think the popularity of the internal combustion engine was a marketing conspiracy. Horse drawn carriages were just fine! On snow, on ice, on grass... yup, will do the trick!
I heard the maintenance on horses is even more expensive than our cars
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #149
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

...Safety AND performance both stand to benefit. The m5 with xdrive speaks for itself.
I think we do agree and yes, the M5 does indeed. As we also agreed, 1) challenging low traction environments (safety) or 2) powertrains delivering more than tires can effectively put down (performance) both benefit. If outside these conditions, the majority of retail sales have a different cost/benefit situation. But, that is only the technical reality. I think our conversation evolved to talk about most non-enthusiast, mass-market buyers making decisions in the absence of understanding the actualities and relying on "what they've heard". That is likely harmless (other than financially) until they then also believe that AWD is a panacea and substitutes for proper tires for condition #1. Then, the final domino in the series that marketing initiated can result in real harm.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #150
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

...Safety AND performance both stand to benefit. The m5 with xdrive speaks for itself.
I think we do agree and yes, the M5 does indeed. As we also agreed, 1) challenging low traction environments (safety) or 2) powertrains delivering more than tires can effectively put down (performance) both benefit. If outside these conditions, the majority of retail sales have a different cost/benefit situation. But, that is only the technical reality. I think our conversation evolved to talk about most non-enthusiast, mass-market buyers making decisions in the absence of understanding the actualities and relying on "what they've heard". That is likely harmless (other than financially) until they then also believe that AWD is a panacea and substitutes for proper tires for condition #1. Then, the final domino in the series that marketing initiated can result in real harm.
The Infiniti ATESSA (sp?) system is a rude awakening for those who buy AWD as a panacea for "all bad weather" without understanding the specifics of ATESSA's AWD protocol which makes it so unique. In the G35/G37 sedans, in the event of a slip, there is a bit of a delay before the front wheels start putting down torque (the car is usually 80R/20F). This is even more pronounced in the G37xS coupe/convertible for some reason.

Anyway, come snowy icy days, the Infiniti forums get littered with posts to the tune of "Guyz, I am coming from a Subaru/Audi and my Infiniti scared me today!!! It was like a tankslapper!!! I thought I was going to be in the ditch!!! Is this AWD??? Does AWD work in this car??? "
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #151
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The Infiniti ATESSA (sp?) system is a rude awakening for those who buy AWD as a panacea for "all bad weather" without understanding the specifics of ATESSA's AWD protocol which makes it so unique. In the G35/G37 sedans, in the event of a slip, there is a bit of a delay before the front wheels start putting down torque (the car is usually 80R/20F). This is even more pronounced in the G37xS coupe/convertible for some reason.

Anyway, come snowy icy days, the Infiniti forums get littered with posts to the tune of "Guyz, I am coming from a Subaru/Audi and my Infiniti scared me today!!! It was like a tankslapper!!! I thought I was going to be in the ditch!!! Is this AWD??? Does AWD work in this car??? "
...wow....didn't know that....and how many of them do you suppose are still on all season tires as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #152
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I heard the maintenance on horses is even more expensive than our cars
Back in the 90s, I had a colleague who had a $20K/year horse jones; so yeah, they'll take all you want to give them - sort of like boats.

And if you keep them on your own property, someone is going to be out there at 5 AM feeding and watering them. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:00 PM   #153
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Back in the 90s, I had a colleague who had a $20K/year horse jones; so yeah, they'll take all you want to give them - sort of like boats.

And if you keep them on your own property, someone is going to be out there at 5 AM feeding and watering them. No thanks.
agreed, the neighbor at my old house had two horses. One of the two died while I lived there. The city was very strict about the process after.

No chainsawing it up like on a farm to send to the glue factory. A tow truck had to be driven in to tow the thing away on a flatbed.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4419.00
      04-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #154
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
A few people have posted that oversteer is possible with AWD, but you are the first I remember to state explicitly that it can be done while accelerating out of a corner. In contrast, many others have raved about how planted the AWD feels while accelerating hard out of corners.

Having a car feel really well planted while accelerating out of a corner is exactly what I do not want in a fun car for the street. That's the main reason I stuck with RWD, but I am curious about whether I made a mistake, as AWD would be useful to me a few times a year.

I had assumed that oversteer with AWD involved brake and steering inputs while entering a corner, which doesn't interest me for the reasons given by Moflow. Perhaps you could describe in more detail what you do to induce oversteer while accelerating out of a corner.
Now that winter is officially gone from my neck of the woods, I have had a chance to flog the car with the summers on - I can attest that from mid corner to corner exit that you can provoke the rear end to step out. I was even a little surprised that I was easily able to do that with my staggered setup. Lets see how things go as the asphalt warms up a bit more.