THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Am I Crazy To Consider 2-series As A Baby Car?

08-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #23
zsalim240i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 White M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremg View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. The X3 looks like a great car, but auto only! I like driving stick and hope to drive a manual as long as I can buy one.

I agree that there will be more stuff to haul down the line and a four door will absolutely make my life easier but where's the fun in that

I did look into the car seats and OMFG they're all ginormous! The only brand I thought made consistently compact car seats was Cybex and I will checkout if they'll fit ok in the back of a 2er. The local target didn't have any in stock so I'll have to go to a special store to get that one.

The 2er is a perfect replacement for the Miata and I always wanted to own one. I think I'll just do it, maybe buy a roof top cargo carrier and if I really end up hating the whole thing, I'll probably just take the hit and get a Golf.
I recently picked up an m240 and this was a concern of mine as well since we have a five month old. I did quite a bit of research on rear facing non convertible infant seats. The best one I found was the Chico key fit. It not only had great safety reviews and functionally rated really good as well, but it's great for smaller cars. I was looking at the cybex as well but the reviews weren't as great and wanted to go with a better brand. With the Chico, I installed the base in the center and today was the first time we took him for a long drive, getting him in and out isn't obviously as easy as with a four door but it's really not terrible unless you have bad back problems. The seat snaps in the base very easily and it's a really nice car seat. He was pretty comfortable through out the ride. If you want I can take a couple of pictures tomorrow and PM them so you have an idea of what to expect. The trunk is pretty big and you can easily fit a carry on and a stroller in there. My wife kept the diaper back by her feet. We both had ample leg room since the seat was in the middle position in the back which is rated as a safer place for a seat as well. I will say, my wife has a prius so if we were running a lot of errands and out all day we'd probably take her car.
      08-17-2019, 11:37 PM   #24
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkmuppet View Post
I recently picked up an m240 and this was a concern of mine as well since we have a five month old. I did quite a bit of research on rear facing non convertible infant seats. The best one I found was the Chico key fit. It not only had great safety reviews and functionally rated really good as well, but it's great for smaller cars. I was looking at the cybex as well but the reviews weren't as great and wanted to go with a better brand. With the Chico, I installed the base in the center and today was the first time we took him for a long drive, getting him in and out isn't obviously as easy as with a four door but it's really not terrible unless you have bad back problems. The seat snaps in the base very easily and it's a really nice car seat. He was pretty comfortable through out the ride. If you want I can take a couple of pictures tomorrow and PM them so you have an idea of what to expect. The trunk is pretty big and you can easily fit a carry on and a stroller in there. My wife kept the diaper back by her feet. We both had ample leg room since the seat was in the middle position in the back which is rated as a safer place for a seat as well. I will say, my wife has a prius so if we were running a lot of errands and out all day we'd probably take her car.
Thanks for the info! Please do PM me pictures if you can, would really help to convince my wife!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:39 PM   #25
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy688i View Post
So I had a 135i that I loved... had kids and traded the car for an X3.

Car seats can be pretty monstrous, especially if you get a convertible one. Also, they recommend kids sit rear facing for quite a bit of time. I think my car seat is rated for rear facing til they are 35+ pounds. The car seat in the X3 (rear-facing configuration) sucks up quite a bit of front seat legroom. My wife is fine in the front seat, but it's not super comfortable. Not sure if it's still the case, but my 17 X3 only has LATCH mounts (and rear tether) for the outer seats (not the middle).

However... I now have a 2019 M240xi (son is 2.5 now). The car seat front facing is totally fine. Getting him in and out of the back seat can be a bit uncomfortable, but he is able to climb into the car seat on his own making that it much easier.

To your question, I did put the convertible seat rear-facing once... makes the front seat basically unusable and it's a pain to get them in and out. I wouldn't want to do this with an infant/toddler on the regular.

Also, I definitely get the judgy looks pulling the 2 year old from the 2-door sports coupe. It doesn't bother me... the lady with the mini-van driving 10x more aggressive/faster than me can make all the dirty looks she wants... Plus my son loves riding in the car (he's actually clapping during the turns).

Finally, I've used several car seats. I have the Graco 4ever 4in1 and it's huge. Great seat, but makes it impossible to get 2 people +car seat in the back of the X3.

I recently bought a Diono 3rxt and I find it a much better fit in the X3 and an overall better seat for just a few more $. I now have the Graco in the M240 as the width doesn't really matter, and the Diono in the X3.

Hopefully this helps! Feel free to PM for more info.

PS. You'll hear a lot about the back middle being the safest, but always check the car's manual to make sure it's supported.
Thanks a lot for the info! Not sure if the middle seat configuration is supported in the 2er but would be great if so. I did read that the Diono is one of the most compact seats out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #26
guy688i
Rep
Drives: M240xi, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremg View Post
Thanks a lot for the info! Not sure if the middle seat configuration is supported in the 2er but would be great if so. I did read that the Diono is one of the most compact seats out there.
It’s definitely not supported on the m240. The middle is not an actual seat and does not have a top tether anchor/dedicated latch or a seatbelt. While it may “fit” I’d be extremely hesitant to do this as a crash involves many dynamic/powerful forces and that configuration has not been tested/approved.

You can do it in the X3 as the middle seat has the lap/shoulder belt.

I was recently in a car accident (our Rav 4) so I’ve become hyper sensitive to this seat stuff. Thankfully no injuries and the seat did it’s job.

Good luck and congrats!
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4651.00
      08-22-2019, 01:07 AM   #27
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xdrive

I am in this situation. I have 2016 M235 xdrive and an 11-month old infant. This car is not the main car as my partner has a Mini Countryman, which has become the family car. I do daycare pickups and short trips in my car currently with a keyfit 30 infant seat. The front passenger seat is pushed pretty far up and the seat becomes unusable for anyone over 5'5". I am now looking into rear facing convertible seats as this period is the transition to switch. Supposedly it should be better, but the infant seat is actually rather easy as i can click it in and out from the passenger side. Otherwise, I climb into the back to put my son into his seat if the seat is already in there. My other new problem is if/when we decide to have a second child. Would be very hard if not impossible to have an infant seat plus a rear facing convertible in those seats simultaneously.

[any suggestions on convertible rear facing seats that are compact/small?]

My M235 is paid off and I'm rather attached to it (after nearly 4 year has <36K miles and in pretty immaculate condition). Had I known from the start, I probably would have gone with something fun with four doors at the time (eg. S3, Golf R, or stretched for M3). I'm currently debating with getting a used car that cheap, but still fun to drive with four doors although my partner absolutely hates my 2 series and wants me to get rid of it entirely for something with four doors....
Appreciate 1
rainfall161.50
      08-22-2019, 03:47 AM   #28
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

I'm very interested in this topic as well. Baby is on the way in a few weeks.
I love my 2 series in RWD+manual+ 6 cylinders+small car.

My wife does have a daily beater that I can share with her, but I don't know at what point not having 2 cars with 4 doors will be a problem.

I thought about getting a 3rd car like a GTI, but it won't make any financial sense at all. I guess I'll have to see how long I can keep my 2 series. I might just gey something like a Lexus for 3rd car , which I assume doesn't depreciate that much

Last edited by rainfall; 08-22-2019 at 04:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #29
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
OK, so three kids, all grown up now. Our first car was

and we had a baby in a cot and toddler in a chair in that one. Basically, my conclusion is that no vehicle is big enough or convenient enough. Whatever you get, you'll need something bigger. You can easily get into changing your car every 2 years, especially if you start adding to the family i.e. "We need a new car for the baby" then "We need a new car for the toddler." then "We need a new car to take the baby and the toddler" - and just wait 'till they need you to transport stuff to college and back.

We did eventually make the concession to a series of performance Touring/Avants, which combined space with fun. Started with a beautiful e30 325i Touring and ended with an F30 330d xDrive Touring before our current M235i convertible.
      08-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #30
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Opinion Ahead!: I think that some are too sensitive about image and too self-oriented by always prioritizing their driving fun first. A minivan is unquestionably the most efficient/effective/comfortable/useful vehicle for a growing family, especially for the growing kids. Once they are older, you can always come back to something small, fun, and sporty. We had a series of minivans when our now-35 and 39 year olds were babies through adolescence. Now, we have a couple of Bimmers and MiniCoopers. For the next decade or two, the kids' needs and making the family's life operate smoothly seem like the most important priority to me. But, that is just my opinion.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #31
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
This is where there seems to be a Euro vs US divergence: seems like in the US its either a performance coupé or a practical family van. Whereas over here, there's the in-between option of a station wagon. Audi Avant, BMW Touring, Volvo V60, Mercedes etc. etc. You don't have to completely give up on having performance and handling just to accommodate the kids. It's not either/or. But I know that a lot of US buyers don't like the Touring style.
      08-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #32
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
This is where there seems to be a Euro vs US divergence: seems like in the US its either a performance coupé or a practical family van. Whereas over here, there's the in-between option of a station wagon. Audi Avant, BMW Touring, Volvo V60, Mercedes etc. etc. You don't have to completely give up on having performance and handling just to accommodate the kids. It's not either/or. But I know that a lot of US buyers don't like the Touring style.
It is true that the choices are different in our respective showrooms, but as well, when you spend enough time buckling in/taking out, changing a diaper on the seat, feeding a child, etc. one's lower back realizes that car-based station wagons are uncomfortably low, versus working with a child closer to eye level when standing alongside the spacious doorway, with the door slid open and not angled against you on a conventional hinge. Also, the upright seating position results in far more cargo space and versatility without having to have a commensurately larger overall vehicle.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #33
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Nein!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Opinion Ahead!: I think that some are too sensitive about image and too self-oriented by always prioritizing their driving fun first. A minivan is unquestionably the most efficient/effective/comfortable/useful vehicle for a growing family, especially for the growing kids. Once they are older, you can always come back to something small, fun, and sporty. We had a series of minivans when our now-35 and 39 year olds were babies through adolescence. Now, we have a couple of Bimmers and MiniCoopers. For the next decade or two, the kids' needs and making the family's life operate smoothly seem like the most important priority to me. But, that is just my opinion.
mcompact119.00
      08-23-2019, 06:11 PM   #34
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Can't help you with the rear facing car seats as I had a 4 door G37 when my daughter was an infant. Now that she's 3 and my G37 got totaled a couple months back, I got a M235i to replace the sedan. There's plenty of room for her, she can hop in and jump into her seat or if I have to I can crawl in the back to lug her in/out.

I wanted something a bit more sporty. It's easier to park with the reduced footprint and I actually get significantly better MPG if I'm easy on the pedal.

My daughter's only complaint is that she doesn't have her own window to go up and down, so I've tried convincing her that the sunroof is hers now.

I was never concerned with "image" but I need to have a car that I enjoy driving, otherwise I minus whale be taking the bus. Don't feel like you need a car that isn't fun to drive just because you have a kid. My wife has a big Jeep Grand Cherokee for longer trips but that was her choice and she bought it a couple years before she had a kiddo.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #35
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Exactly, and you/we have been there/done that. Not only the baby's stuff but the baby will likely be with you both when doing some shopping so room for even more stuff. I still think the X3 is his best overall choice in the premium space with RWD and good performance, as Car and Driver noted. I have a friend who was an enthusiast and he now drives a Pacifica after his first (and now second) child arrived! His bumper sticker...."I used to be cool".
Yep...during our girl's younger years and with a family Cocker Spaniel, we referred to our two successive minivans as"MSVs" for Miata Support Vehicles. Can't beat minivans for utility but you NEED something else to enjoy the driving experience!
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #36
ntj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xD

I've got a 15 month old. The M240i has been perfectly fine with the infant seat, and my wife and I have managed long weekend trips out of town in it just fine. However, now that my daughter is about to outgrow her infant seat, we'll be resorting to my wife's SUV only to transport the little one since I can't imagine any rear-facing seat will fit in the back and still leave room for a passenger in the front. Once my daughter is old enough for front-facing, we'll start using the M240 as a kid-transporter again.

I can't say I'd recommend having two small coupes as the only family vehicles. My wife and I are minimalists when it comes to baby gear, and yet we can't imagine functioning without our small SUV.
      08-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #37
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
This discussion brings back memories of car-pooling to preschool circa 1985-90 with three child seats in a 1970 VW Bug whose floor was so badly rusted that you could see daylight through it. We never thought that there was anything unreasonable about it. All the kids survived. My three are a software executive, a US prosecutor, and a professor. The other kids are equally successful. I guess that the VW built character.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #38
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
This discussion brings back memories of car-pooling to preschool circa 1985-90 with three child seats in a 1970 VW Bug whose floor was so badly rusted that you could see daylight through it. We never thought that there was anything unreasonable about it. All the kids survived. My three are a software executive, a US prosecutor, and a professor. The other kids are equally successful. I guess that the VW built character.
I suspect their success had a lot more to do with their parents! Good job and congratulations!

I recall riding in a 1962 Rambler American on the front seat, sans seat belts...in the 1960s! We are all able to reminisce now about days gone by, but so many who did not survive crashes over the years cannot.

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-24-2019 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #39
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
We thought we were being responsible and safe!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #40
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
My dad bought a Ferrari Mondial which my mom occasionally ended up using to transport 3 kids. But that was probably a different time as far as child safety was concerned. I can't remember if we had booster seats or what.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #41
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
We thought we were being responsible and safe!
Of course. In the 50s, some doctors were used to advertise smoking! With notable exceptions (some very current!), society does get smarter and move forward over time.
Appreciate 0