THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning In need of some modding advice for my m235 Convertible

01-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
DBinOH
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5; 2016 M235i Conv. 6MT

Garage List
In need of some modding advice for my m235 Convertible

Hi all, i've been a reader of the forum for awhile, but never posted. My 2016 M235i Convertible is pretty much stock, but I'm looking to do some upgrades, both aesthetically and mechanically. I'm not really sure where to start. I don't plan to track it, it's primarily a toy for nice days, but I do some daily driving in it in the summer.

The stock exhaust seems pretty quiet, but my understanding is that it's not easy to find a good set of pipes for the convertible. Any suggestions on what people have liked for a nice steady sound? Also, I have the stock differential, but if I'm not racing, is a LSD necessary? Seems like it'd be a great upgrade. If so, is the M Performance LSD the way to go? Aside from that, considering a new intake, but not sure if it's needed.

Finally, looking at swapping the shift lever/knob for the M Performance shifter. Is that strictly aesthetic, or is it a shorter/tighter throw?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

If the upper charge pipe has not been switched thats a must.

I went with Active Autowerkes catted Downpipe, (I needed no CEL for emissions) nice bump in exhaust sound cold and on acceleration. Nice 30hp add.

I light track and have not pulled trigger on M LSD, some are better (more $$) but for myself, the base OEM LSD would suffice.

If you start tuning, they rec. changing out to better/larger Intercooler...(heat soak otherwise) but thats getting into $$.

If you have run flats, PS4 is a great summer tire and with larger wheel, changed my handling. I also added Powerflex upper arm bushings, tightened up steering /handling, esp. at higher speeds. Almost no NVH (zero center play)

Everything I did to my 235 above, I got off here and don't regret any of it ! (also did Rogue short shifter, my favorite change so far )

Have fun !
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
DBinOH
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! I'm about to ask a bunch of stupid questions.

1. Is your M235 a hardtop or convertible? I've noticed that a bunch of options i looked at weren't available on the convertible due to reinforcement under the rear bumper. The suspension bushings are an example of this. Can't get them for the F23
2. First noob question: What's the value of changing the upper charge pipe?
3. Second noob question: The downpipe bumps the exhaust sound without a change to the exhaust system? Is the hp add from smoother turbocharger boost?
4. Can you share the link to the OEM LSD? I have only seen the M Performance one.

I have the stock 18" wheels, but am running on PS4s that I love. I'd love to see which short shifter you're using. I tried to find it via google, but am not seeing one that fits the F23.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

1) I have hardtop, but there are other aftermarket bushings available. I'd search here. Also - bushings are cheap but the original ones have to be machined out. My guy said almost as cheap to buy whole upper arm with new bushings already in (I never looked into, but I'd research)

2) Stock upper charge pipe is plastic and even under stock HP, has blown (it splits at the top) Search 235i section, plenty on this subject. Some also change out the coolant expansion hose, known to fail after 30K ish miles also. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...570061#reviews

3) Allows more air flow, Fabspeed (slightly better some say, also no CEL, but more $$) and AA, allow for more air flow, but CEL won't be thrown. THere are others catless that allow more airflow and louder. The bump in sound and HP was perfect for me, and no issue with emissions.

4) M and OEM are same I believe.

Someone here hit up Rogue and they made a special one for us. But there are other SSK. UUC seems to be most popular. Slight increase in NVH for the Rogue, well worth it. Not sure on UUC.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...kit-f22-m235i/

I would use search function in 235 area, tons on these topics.

Last edited by 4Hockey4; 01-02-2021 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 01:58 AM   #5
TwistedX
Really Twisted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i F23 8AT

Won't let me attach image
https://flic.kr/p/2kpvmfL

Exterior: JL Motoring CF Front lip/CF Side Skirts/CF Rear Diffuser and Alibaba CF M Mirror caps with sequential lights and duckbill spoiler, tinted tail lights and color matched front marker lights, black kidney grills

Wheels/Suspension: Drag 73 18x8 et40 225F/255R, Airlift 3P Air Suspension, KC Design Front/Rear Swaybar endlinks

Performance: VRSF Charge Pipe/Intercooler/Turbo-To-Intercooler Pipe, upgraded turbo Inlet, aem intake, AR Designs Catted Downpipe, MHD Stage 2+, XHP Stage 3

Interior/ICE: Custom wrapped CF and digicamo interior pieces, red stitched interior, AVINUSA 10.25 android screen running the MHD, Pioneer speakers

Plans for later: Custom roll cage with back seat delete and cage mounted air tank and compressors, custom CF wide body, custom chassis mounted rear spoiler, custom trunk mounted sub set up.

Last edited by TwistedX; 01-06-2021 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I recommend you get the REMUS axle-back, pair it with a downpipe for the perfect sound

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
daneagles
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

I have the coupe but if you're looking to make more power, the "standard" stage 2 setup for the F22/F23 is high flow catted or catless downpipe, upgraded chargepipe, upgraded intercooler, and then a flash tune like BM3/MHD. The most common suspension upgrades would be a full coilover kit (KW V1-3 if you don't mind losing EDC, or KW DDC if you want to keep the OEM EDC controls in the cabin) or lowering springs like Dinan/H&R. I'm curious if others have additional suspension recommendations though, that's the next area I might upgrade and curious how much benefit there is from things like better bushings, etc. Intake isn't needed for stage 2, I think for this platform intakes are a "nice to have" but can't really be justified based on price. Most people just do a drop-in filter like K&N and there's an aFE air scoop that slots in behind the front grill to direct more airflow into the intake; these two probably make as much power as even the most expensive intakes at a fraction of the price. If you do get an intake, understand that the open airbox designs like BMS will be cheaper and will give you more induction whooshing noise than a closed airbox design, but will probably heatsoak in the summer on hot days.

Cosmetically start with black kidney grills (every BMW should have this) and color-matched front reflectors from IND. You probably know this but there's an entire OEM body kit for the F22/F23 that's made up of side skirts, front splitter and rear diffuser. Beyond that it's up to you, I'd probably get wheels and/or tires but it sounds like you already got rid of the RFTs which is the most important upgrade in my opinion, this chassis on true summer tires is a night and day difference. There are OEM and aftermarket interior upgrades you can make too (carbon fiber/alcantara trim pieces, electronic M steering wheel) which look cool but are too expensive for me personally.

If you want to stay OEM+ from this point, the M Performance catalog has things like axle-back M Perf exhaust, M Perf LSD, etc., and there are obviously plenty of great aftermarket options for exhaust/LSD as well.

Last edited by daneagles; 01-08-2021 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:53 AM   #8
DBinOH
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks all of you! I think I'm going to go ahead with the MPE. My buddy is the sales manager at my local dealer, so he thinks he can get it for a good price. I'll probably do some of the M Performance interior trim as well.

I assume that there's no M Performance charge pipe or downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:55 AM   #9
DBinOH
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I go to a local mechanic who used to race BMWs in the past. He is telling me to avoid flash tunes at all costs though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Avoiding Flash Tunes- WHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinOH View Post
I go to a local mechanic who used to race BMWs in the past. He is telling me to avoid flash tunes at all costs though.
Data Loging is your friend and a Quality Flash is Amazing . I guess you could argue that a JB4 can keep you from major issues. If you are so concerned run a JB4 with backend Flash .

I am running the BM3 and data log for quality control / safety & health of engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #11
DBinOH
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's not so much a concern as it is ignorance over what impact it may have on the engine and the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0