THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning eBay downpipe

10-01-2020, 11:55 PM   #1
GarrettM235i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

I'm not sure if anyone has bought this before but imma give it a try. If anyone is interested I'll update once it's installed and tested. "If it installs"

For $94 why not at least try it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-BMW-M2...3-1b3738302590
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Let us know how it goes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

Would strongly advise against getting it. I've had first hand experience with bad fitment and overall just bad design on those low cost ebay . Obviously you can fight them and return it if it were to not work but that is totally up to you. If you're doing your own installs then no loss on labor, only your time.

Anyway, for $100 may be okay but keep in mind that downpipe takes on extreme heat from your engine. How long this specific downpipe will last is anyone's guess. If you are looking for most economic route, I would recommend VRSF. Mike @ XPH sells em for a good price. Had mine for close to 2 years with zero issues and that's running mhd stage 2+ E20 tune.
      10-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
GarrettM235i
Private
Rep

Update

Yes I was skeptical but upon receiving it I'm quite surprised in the quality. Clean tig welds, the stainless is quite thick. I just cerakoted it to ensure no heat issues. I did my friends downpipe (name brand) for his STI at the same time today and was comparing welds and materials and they are just about on the same. Fitment might be tricky but I'm having good vibes from it so far. Once the cerakote cures ill install and update again. ✌️
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 01:53 AM   #5
GarrettM235i
Private
Rep

Update

Downpipe installed. The only fitment issue was the mounting bracket. A slight bend on the vise did the trick. Otherwise, no exhaust leaks, jb4 map 2. Car pulls hard. I'd say it's a bargain.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

great info, thanks. CEL when you installed it or ?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
GarrettM235i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
No, the jb4 takes care of that
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

So the OEM front and rear gaskets and v-bands fit without issue? If so, if I were going catless, this seems like a no-brainer for price. Heck, even some of WAY more expensive catless DPs don't include the brackets which is lazy. The DP needs the bracket for support of the exhaust and take load off the turbo manifold.
      10-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #10
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
So the OEM front and rear gaskets and v-bands fit without issue? If so, if I were going catless, this seems like a no-brainer for price. Heck, even some of WAY more expensive catless DPs don't include the brackets which is lazy. The DP needs the bracket for support of the exhaust and take load off the turbo manifold.
Also makes installation a bit easier too
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:19 AM   #11
GarrettM235i
Private
Rep

3 month update

Downpipe works flawlessly. Got the car back up on the lift and no leaks. Cerakote still in perfect condition. I do have a cel but that's a given with no cat. Even with jb4. The light doesn't bother me much but I will install a mini cat before I have to do emissions.
Final verdict. I don't understand why you'd buy anything more expensive because it works great.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #12
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Exactly. A tube is a tube, same sized tubes flow the same no matter what name or pricetag is on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettM235i View Post
Downpipe works flawlessly. Got the car back up on the lift and no leaks. Cerakote still in perfect condition. I do have a cel but that's a given with no cat. Even with jb4. The light doesn't bother me much but I will install a mini cat before I have to do emissions.
Final verdict. I don't understand why you'd buy anything more expensive because it works great.
This is great to hear and am glad it's working out. All I really wanted to convey from the beginning is that there must be a reason said dp is only $90 or so.. It's like saying all rotors are the same, "they're just a round piece of metal", why pay for BMW or Brembo brands vs ebay brands @ $40 .. It comes down to the metal quality and build tolerances, right? It is what I was trying to bring across. On a low price unit, maybe a low-quality alloy was used? Maybe welds will give out sooner rather than later? For peace of mind and product support, I would still stick to a known product/vendor. Again, not bashing your choice since it seems to be working just fine.

By the way, what does getting a coating like that cost? I would gladly get my existing dp coated if it's reasonable $$.

Cheers & happy modding
      01-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
Exactly. A tube is a tube, same sized tubes flow the same no matter what name or pricetag is on it.
true to some extent with a few things to consider
  • most unproven brands do not fit 100% which causes a small leak
  • different designs produce different sounds
  • cheaper material will not last as long, that's why it's not uncommon to see an eBay downpipe cracking after some time. This kind of failure is almost unheard of when you compare it to thousands of Evolution Racewerks DP being currently used

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #15
Steventalon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
true to some extent with a few things to consider
  • most unproven brands do not fit 100% which causes a small leak
  • different designs produce different sounds
  • cheaper material will not last as long, that's why it's not uncommon to see an eBay downpipe cracking after some time. This kind of failure is almost unheard of when you compare it to thousands of Evolution Racewerks DP being currently used
This^^... A tube is not always a tube. Cheap materials are often used to construct these pieces which can overtime crack and/or corrode due to heat cycles. I have had some ebay exhaust parts on a couple cars in the past only to find the material is cheap and I ended up spending more money in the end than just buying quality pieces in the beginning.

I am happy for you though OP! Nice find!
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2021, 01:54 AM   #16
NateCbr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post

Fucking exactly! I ran a Circuit Werks Pwg N55 F30 downpipe for 2 years. $175 shipped. Perfect fitment. Never had issues with sensors burning up. If the fabricators have a good jig, good metal, and can weld good, you’re fine. Just like your charge pipe. Seeing prices of $400 for catless tubes and $350+ for charge pipes make me sick.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 10:44 PM   #17
GarrettM235i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJR235 View Post
Quote:
This is great to hear and am glad it's working out. All I really wanted to convey from the beginning is that there must be a reason said dp is only $90 or so.. It's like saying all rotors are the same, "they're just a round piece of metal", why pay for BMW or Brembo brands vs ebay brands @ $40 .. It comes down to the metal quality and build tolerances, right? It is what I was trying to bring across. On a low price unit, maybe a low-quality alloy was used? Maybe welds will give out sooner rather than later? For peace of mind and product support, I would still stick to a known product/vendor. Again, not bashing your choice since it seems to be working just fine.

By the way, what does getting a coating like that cost? I would gladly get my existing dp coated if it's reasonable $$.

Cheers & happy modding
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJR235 View Post
Quote:

Cheers & happy modding
I actually bought the cerakote and sprayed it myself. I have a blasting cabinet and spray guns. It's extremely easy to do.
Appreciate 0