THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Gas Pedal / Throttle Less Sensitive

04-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Hagechan
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Gas Pedal / Throttle Less Sensitive

Hi All

I have the 2016 M235i Auto bought it brand new and the car has around 19k miles on it. Recently, I feel like the accelerator pedal is less sensitive when driving. I have to hit harder if I want it to go faster. But still, it's not like it used to be. This situation happen doesn't matter which mode I use. (Comfort or Sport) I did park my car (in parking mode, not driving) to check how fast the RPM gauge move when I rev it up. It only goes up to around 4000-5000 and it moves up kind of slow. I remember when I check out the car at the dealer before I bought it, the RPM needle move very fast and all the way close to the red zone. The car has no engine light on or any other error code.

I wonder anyone has similar issue? Can fix DIY? Should I clean the mass airflow filter? I have no more warranty except the 7 years "California Emission Control System Limited Warranty"

Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

You'll notice that Sport+ will have the best throttle response time. ECO PRO/comfort/sport/DSC OFF will all rank below Sport+ Does the car have any mods done to it? Maybe you're just use to it now :-/
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 09:40 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

You could buy a cheapish code reader and connect to OBD port and search for codes.

Check to make sure your a/c is working properly and some type of fail safe to protect it isn’t activated.

Check battery to make sure it’s not discharged - that can really affect engine power.

Check air filter box for rodent nesting or even debris.

With engine running make sure none of your radiator hoses are collapsed.

After driving check catalytic converters to see if it’s red hot.

And the dealer isn’t always a bad decision for repairs.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:15 PM   #4
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagechan View Post
Hi All

I have the 2016 M235i Auto bought it brand new and the car has around 19k miles on it. Recently, I feel like the accelerator pedal is less sensitive when driving. I have to hit harder if I want it to go faster. But still, it's not like it used to be. This situation happen doesn't matter which mode I use. (Comfort or Sport) I did park my car (in parking mode, not driving) to check how fast the RPM gauge move when I rev it up. It only goes up to around 4000-5000 and it moves up kind of slow. I remember when I check out the car at the dealer before I bought it, the RPM needle move very fast and all the way close to the red zone. The car has no engine light on or any other error code.

I wonder anyone has similar issue? Can fix DIY? Should I clean the mass airflow filter? I have no more warranty except the 7 years "California Emission Control System Limited Warranty"

Any help would be appreciated!
My cars doing the same thing. I feel like I have to stomp the pedal to get a hard downshift and throttle response from a 400hp car.

Doesn't make any sense, my 200hp Si responded instantly with its pitiful 150ft/lbs of torque.

My thinking is the transmission machine learns your driving inputs over time and becomes "more tame" if you spend a-lot of time driving like a granny. Aka long and boring commutes to and from work.

I have been wondering if there is a way to reset the cars "memory" or "opinion" of how you drive it.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #5
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Look up how to reset adaptations. There is a start up sequence to do it. The car certainly learns from your driving behavior and alters throttle sensitivity to suit.
      04-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Here's a thread on how to reset the throttle adaptation. It's a noticeable difference right after doing it, but in my experience any changes go away pretty quickly.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1182679
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Is there just throttle adaptation ? or others to reset ?

(I bought used)

thx
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
Hagechan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_otherM235i View Post
You'll notice that Sport+ will have the best throttle response time. ECO PRO/comfort/sport/DSC OFF will all rank below Sport+ Does the car have any mods done to it? Maybe you're just use to it now :-/
The car has no mods on it. I am not sure if I am used to it now. I remember the acceleration pedal used to be very sensitive on all driving modes, so I have to tap it very light when acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
Hagechan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
You could buy a cheapish code reader and connect to OBD port and search for codes.

Check to make sure your a/c is working properly and some type of fail safe to protect it isn’t activated.

Check battery to make sure it’s not discharged - that can really affect engine power.

Could you recommend a code reader? The dealer charge pretty expensive for diagnostic text. The car has no error code on it, so I am not sure if it worth to have the dealer test it. Also, my car only has around 20000 miles on it. I think it's to early to has any problem, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #10
Hagechan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
My cars doing the same thing. I feel like I have to stomp the pedal to get a hard downshift and throttle response from a 400hp car.

Doesn't make any sense, my 200hp Si responded instantly with its pitiful 150ft/lbs of torque.

My thinking is the transmission machine learns your driving inputs over time and becomes "more tame" if you spend a-lot of time driving like a granny. Aka long and boring commutes to and from work.

I have been wondering if there is a way to reset the cars "memory" or "opinion" of how you drive it.
Do you feel the acceleration pedal was super sensitive when you first got your car? I did reset the driving habit memory (by looking up the procedures online), but it doesn't make any difference...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
Hagechan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
Look up how to reset adaptations. There is a start up sequence to do it. The car certainly learns from your driving behavior and alters throttle sensitivity to suit.
Already did it 6 months ago, make no difference. I will try it again soon...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 09:30 PM   #12
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Do you feel the acceleration pedal was super sensitive when you first got your car? I did reset the driving habit memory (by looking up the procedures online), but it doesn't make any difference...
I sold the car because I was so frustrated with its sluggish response and overweight weak handling, but yeah I would agree the reset really didnt seem to make much if any difference.

These cars are really over engineered. I bought an ATS-V and it has one single button for traction on/off and then 3 total drive modes. Tranny is just auto or manual. So much easier to work with.

And the moment your tip toe touches the pedal it surges forward with lots of anger! Hahah its awesome.

You can get nice V cars in the 30s now, god bless America hahaha

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #13
Hagechan
Rep

Quote:
I sold the car because I was so frustrated with its sluggish response and overweight weak handling, but yeah I would agree the reset really didnt seem to make much if any difference.

These cars are really over engineered. I bought an ATS-V and it has one single button for traction on/off and then 3 total drive modes. Tranny is just auto or manual. So much easier to work with.

And the moment your tip toe touches the pedal it surges forward with lots of anger! Hahah its awesome.

You can get nice V cars in the 30s now, god bless America hahaha
This is my first BMW I bought and I still love it. I just bought the ODB reader. I will check to see if I can find any error code this weekend...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #14
Hagechan
Rep

Quote:

OBD reader shows no error code.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #15
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Assuming it's cold where you live, it could be the nannies holding the power back as they are detecting spin or anticipating it. Also, make sure when you're in Sport mode, you have Drivetrain selected as that gives you the Sport throttle.

You really should drive in Sport+ if you want the most responsive setup.

Run the highest octane you can find as well.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your car. The problem is likely you. You've gotten use to the power and acceleration. My M235 is pushing way more power than stock and it doesn't feel shockingly fast anymore but to my passengers, they're blown away.

Other than clogged cat, there's no reason for reduced throttle response. If the cat was clogged, the exhaust would be much quieter and the stock cats don't fail on stock tune cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #16
Hagechan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Assuming it's cold where you live, it could be the nannies holding the power back as they are detecting spin or anticipating it. Also, make sure when you're in Sport mode, you have Drivetrain selected as that gives you the Sport throttle.

You really should drive in Sport+ if you want the most responsive setup.

Run the highest octane you can find as well.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your car. The problem is likely you. You've gotten use to the power and acceleration. My M235 is pushing way more power than stock and it doesn't feel shockingly fast anymore but to my passengers, they're blown away.

Other than clogged cat, there's no reason for reduced throttle response. If the cat was clogged, the exhaust would be much quieter and the stock cats don't fail on stock tune cars.
Hi, I am here in California, so I don't think the weather is very cold. I do use highest octane gas all the time. I also don't think the car lost power. The issue is the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal changed. I used to tap the pedal very light when start / move because the pedal is super sensitive. But, I don't feel it now. I am not sure if my feeling change overtime?

*It's funny some people complain the accelerator pedal is too sensitive, but I prefer more sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #17
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

at this point test drive another 235 automatic.

have you done any 4000rpm to 6500rpm hard accelerations in the bottom gears ? the speed gain when doing so should be intense and the accelerator pedal should be responsive. Comfort & Sport (+)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #18
Hagechan
Rep

Quote:
at this point test drive another 235 automatic.

have you done any 4000rpm to 6500rpm hard accelerations in the bottom gears ? the speed gain when doing so should be intense and the accelerator pedal should be responsive. Comfort & Sport (+)
I actually did try hard accelerations on the freeway and the power are there. I have no connections to find another m235i to test. I think I will test drive the m240i at the dealer to see if there is any difference sometime next year. Hope they have one at the dealership... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 08:21 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hi, I am here in California, so I don't think the weather is very cold. I do use highest octane gas all the time. I also don't think the car lost power. The issue is the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal changed. I used to tap the pedal very light when start / move because the pedal is super sensitive. But, I don't feel it now. I am not sure if my feeling change overtime?

*It's funny some people complain the accelerator pedal is too sensitive, but I prefer more sensitive.
There's no system that can reduce throttle sensitivity over time. The throttle is adaptive to a minor extent, but nothing really significant.

The only time my M235 is super responsive, throttle wise, is Sport+. The Sport setting in "Drivetrain" is pretty responsive. The other settings like Comfort, DSC Off, or DTC (Traction mode) have MUCH lower throttle sensitivity. I don't like the way the throttle feels unless I'm at 50% or more throttle. I'm surprised that you found throttle sensitivity in all drive modes to be quick and responsive.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #20
Hagechan
Rep

Quote:
There's no system that can reduce throttle sensitivity over time. The throttle is adaptive to a minor extent, but nothing really significant.

The only time my M235 is super responsive, throttle wise, is Sport+. The Sport setting in "Drivetrain" is pretty responsive. The other settings like Comfort, DSC Off, or DTC (Traction mode) have MUCH lower throttle sensitivity. I don't like the way the throttle feels unless I'm at 50% or more throttle. I'm surprised that you found throttle sensitivity in all drive modes to be quick and responsive.
Hi, to clarify, I don't mean the throttle sensitivity in all drive modes are quick & response. I can feel the sport mode has better throttle sensitivity compare to the eco, comfort modes, etc.

I am actually comparing "Mode" to "Mode" overtime since 2016. For example, the comfort mode sensitivity in 2016 and the comfort sensitivity in 2020 has changed to less responsive.

This also apply to the sport mode, 2016 vs 2020.

I was thinking the sensor behind the gas pedal has issue but I don't think it is because my ODB reader doesn't detect any error code.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #21
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hi, to clarify, I don't mean the throttle sensitivity in all drive modes are quick & response. I can feel the sport mode has better throttle sensitivity compare to the eco, comfort modes, etc.

I am actually comparing "Mode" to "Mode" overtime since 2016. For example, the comfort mode sensitivity in 2016 and the comfort sensitivity in 2020 has changed to less responsive.

This also apply to the sport mode, 2016 vs 2020.

I was thinking the sensor behind the gas pedal has issue but I don't think it is because my ODB reader doesn't detect any error code.
Yes, BMW did modify the throttle sensitivity in the M240 cars to be generally less sensitive in all modes.

The accelerator pedal is a very simple electronic device with an internal spring. The throttle tuning is all managed by the DME. Also, the throttle body only exists as an emergency back up and stability control management device. During normal driving, the throttle body is wide open and the air flow into the engine is managed by some pretty complex variable cam timing and not the throttle body like on most cars.
      12-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #22
Hagechan
Rep

Quote:
Yes, BMW did modify the throttle sensitivity in the M240 cars to be generally less sensitive in all modes.

The accelerator pedal is a very simple electronic device with an internal spring. The throttle tuning is all managed by the DME. Also, the throttle body only exists as an emergency back up and stability control management device. During normal driving, the throttle body is wide open and the air flow into the engine is managed by some pretty complex variable cam timing and not the throttle body like on most cars.
That's interesting BMW changed the throttle sensitivity on the M240i. I would like to test one to see the difference if I have a chance.
Appreciate 0