THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Kies s55/n55/n54 crank seal guard

01-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xdrive

Kies s55/n55/n54 crank seal guard

I follow the Kies' youtube channel and saw that they posted this video on their new product, a crank seal guard. I have some free time later this month and was planning to do a coolant flush on my 2016 m235 that is at 43K miles (i dont think it's ever been done with normal warranty service). if i'm going to be working on the car, i'm wondering if i may try this crank seal guard install too.

but honestly, i'm wondering how much of an issue this really is. have people had their belts sucked into their engines? i know that's the biggest fear with the oil filter housing gasket (OFHG) leaking that may leak oil onto the belt causing it to slip and potentially get sucked into the engine. what's the better approach--proactive/preventative maintenance of the OFHG if it does leak and/or adding this crank seal guard for a problem that may never come?

also, at what age are people replacing belts, pulleys, idle tensioners etc? in the video, they recommend 50K miles, but is that preventative maintenance really necessary? as far as i know, the drive belts usually run electronic accessories and alternator, which wouldn't result in a failure by the roadside. so is replacement of currently working parts necessary, which comes with it's own risks of damaging during installation, improper/difficult installation...?

also as an aside, i realize that i still have Geico's mechanical breakdown insurance, which should cover most issues (aside from wear/tear items) with a $250 deductible for a total of 7 years. so i'm less gung ho about wrenching bigger projects needlessly

Last edited by vexingv; 01-08-2021 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1506045

yes it can happen. But I'd rather do preventative maintenance than spend more on unnecessary approaches
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Eh, wouldn't bother.
Appreciate 0