THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning HELP Studdering problem fbo m235

11-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

HELP Studdering problem fbo m235

Hey guys. I have been having a studdering issue for a long time. It started when I took my dinan m235 to a local place/buddy of mine to get some work done. He's helped build his brothers big turbo Passat growing up and was always the car kid so I trust him. But ever since I had him take the dinan stage 2 tune out (flashed bm3 ots 93 stage 2 before I pulled out), put a gfb dv+ on and change the plugs to ngks gapped at .22 ive been having issues with studdering. Ive brought my car to a new guy that specializes in German cars to change my plugs, that didn't work. I custom tuned my car with cary Jordan, didn't work (yet &still on 8th revision). By the 4th revision at the time cary said my car was fine because my logs showed no studdering. Was still having the problem so I swapped my GFB DV+ out with turbosmart, still didn't work. I ended up talking to cary Jordan again for more revisions and now we're at the 8th revision with the studdering still there. He's been saying the HPFP hasn't been able to keep up so he's been dialing down the boost. I have one last thing I want to try but didn't want to go about it without asking the group. Is it possible that the oem plugs that were plugged out for the dinan tune dirty and need to be cleaned before plugging back in after removing the dinan tune? They have been unplugged for 30k+ miles and it's the absolute last thing I can think of. Maybe they weren't plugged in right or something? Any info that could be known would be great
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:45 PM   #2
MidwayMuller
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I have the same NGK iridium plugs and gap with my FBO car, so it shouldn't be the problem here. Few things I can think of that could cause this. If the gas and fluids are good, both MAP sensors are clean (intake snorkel and charge pipe), throttle adaptations reset, it might have something to do with the coils or xdrive system.

Our xdrive cars are also more sensitive to tire diameter differences from front to back. If the difference is more than something like 3%, it will start engaging the brakes/traction control to keep the wheel speeds constant. There is also the unlikely culprit of transfer case, some others have had similar symptoms that went away when turning xdelete on. Hopefully it's not that, though.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Mine had a horrible stutter when cold. Is the cold start turned on? Are you running a intake? My car ran like ass with both the Injen and Cts intakes. Aftermarket intakes seem to cause problems with a lot of these cars, mine is totally fine now with the stocker back on.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
Mine had a horrible stutter when cold. Is the cold start turned on? Are you running a intake? My car ran like ass with both the Injen and Cts intakes. Aftermarket intakes seem to cause problems with a lot of these cars, mine is totally fine now with the stocker back on.
The cold start is one and I have a dinan intake. I've been attacking every problem I thought it could've been but I'm running out of options.. my guy is going to clean up my pr coils and hope that works.. no matter how many revisions I do with cary Jordan it doesn't clean the problem up
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
UnBemeta
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

any updates on your case my fellow community brother? my car has stuttered sometimes and Im FBO s2 as well usually happens on cold mornings or the engine is cold still, specially when engaging manual mode. i think it has to do with the burbles and/or the intake.
Appreciate 0