THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M235i Will Beat 1M Coupe Around Nurburgring and Have Limited Slip Differential

07-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #111
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

While I applaud the fact that a proper mechanical LSD might be an option (even better if it's a tick-option when new) rather than just a likely very expensive dealer fit option, I'm still not convinced it's a step up from an E82 135, *IF* the M235 (as suspected) retains the electric steering of the current F* M135 and has the ZF auto option rather than a DCT option.

I'm hoping that the phrase M2 'unlikely' and M235 'surprises' means that the M235 might get proper hydraulic steering and DCT options, as well as that LSD.......

If so, BMW will get my money.......if not, my money will go elsewhere when the time comes to replace my E82 135i.
      07-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #112
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Sign me up please!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #113
Hamburgerman
Rep
Drives: Soon M235i

I too hope that the M Sport performance kit will be reasonably priced, so that
it could still be (to paraphrase Chris Harris), the bargain of the century.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #114
jozeff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Scott, will the M135i also receive a BMW performance package upgrade (LSD included) as well as the M235i?

It would make the M135i the hottest hatch available for the money in some markets
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #115
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Of course they aim to improve NBR lap times over previous ultra successful cars. Remember when the new x5 came out a few years ago? They actually stated it was faster around the ring! Now, to say that a longer wheel base over the 1M is better is just sales hype. The short wheel base of the 1M is one of the reasons it feels so special. That chassis with M3 bits works so well together! This sounds like typical sales talk to me but I suppose they have to do this to stimulate sales.
      07-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #116
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
I wonder if we'll get a 1M and M2 then. The previous 1M was about as fast on a track as the E92 M3 despite being a manual.

That would put a lot of pressure for BMW to either make the F8x M insanely fast or walk the line between making the 1M/M2 slower than their bigger brothers, but faster than the M sport versions.
that's the same thing...the M2, would be the the successor of the 1M...the 1 series is the hatch. If anything there maybe a 2 series Gran Coupe, which would mean a M2 gran Coupe---if that is what you are alluding to.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #117
turbowolfe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: whiteout

Garage List
1987 911  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Encouraging news. I am hoping for the m2 gc, need an extra set of doors in my life, and the current three is too big for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #118
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowolfe View Post
Encouraging news. I am hoping for the m2 gc, need an extra set of doors in my life, and the current three is too big for me.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #119
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
If this is true... I can only imagine what the M2 will perform like. Maybe it'll be the lightweight M model us purists have been searching for. One can only hope
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #120
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac View Post

PS - 1M owners, unload it while you can at a ridiculous price, 'cause this ain't no collector car.
The more I think about it the more I want to keep my 1M. And it has nothing to do with the money you can make or loose. Thanks for worrying about us though, that was thoughtful.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #121
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
The more I think about it the more I want to keep my 1M. And it has nothing to do with the money you can make or loose. Thanks for worrying about us though, that was thoughtful.
Yep, keeping mine long long term, I don't see money figures when behind the wheel, just big smiles reflecting in the mirrors ..... But maybe an M2 to keep it company at nights
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #122
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzcalski View Post
Scott, does this mean the entire article incorrectly translated M135i as 1M? Is the M235i really supposed to be faster around the Nurburgring than the M135i, not the 1M? Or did the incorrect model only refer to the source of the 18" wheels?
I don't think M235i can be a lot quicker than its sister model M135i. I don't see M235i beating 1M. M2 will beat 1M.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #123
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
I was referring to price. Not specs or capabilities of the two cars.

Basically have a 128i and 135is, in regards to pricing. Leaving a larger gap between the new 2-series models. But I don't expect pricing to go up too much.
Oh I see, then I agree with you that the M235i will probably cost about what a 135is does. If that proves true, it should be one hell of a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #124
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowolfe View Post
+100 i'm looking forward to the M235 GC, does anyone know when that model will debut??? first half of next year reveal and on-sale second half?

if not i'll go with a used S4 and wait for it to come out....
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #125
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

And what about M body kit and not just M sport? What about flaired fenders? No M2, no interest. I want M2 to be faster than M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #126
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I just read the original post by Jason and Scott's response again. It looks like the M235i is indeed faster than the 1M. Scott's reference to the error in the article refers only to the wheels and Pilot Super Sport usage, which has come from m135i. I came to this simple conclusion because if you read the original post, it was made clear that the 1M was too snappy due to its shorter wheelbase. Well, M135i has an identical chassis length to M235i.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #127
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

You guys really should be paying a bit more attention to if it will also be "beating" or at least equalling the 1M in terms of engagement and fun. They are throwing a word, a claim in front of you and some of you guys think that it means that it is going to be hell of a sports car because of that claim basically from a high rank marketing official whose job is to sell the new product! Why don't people insist asking if it will have a better steering set up or a different suspension geometry or different size tires and wheels or if it will be the exact same lsd of 435i which will lock up to 30% and how exactly it will work, if the car will be available for someone who doesn't want i-drive for instance, if the lsd will be made available only for someone who also opted for adaptive dampers and all other stuff etc. etc. There are so many questions that most people are not even wondering despite the fact that they probably are potential buyers, and instead just buying a claim that "it will be faster than the 1M on N-ring"; well thank you very much BMW, mostly thanks to your underrating policy even a Megane RS is faster than the 1M on the Ring, at least officially, and don't know why or how it is not faster than the 1M on any other track, go figure.

Just go and shoot BMW with some real questions that deserve an answer. This is supposed to be an enthusiast forum afterall, we are not buying a more silent washing machine here. Aim high for the next M2 too, like Levi who posted above if you want that car to be produced and be something really excited.

Don't you see that they are delaying or maybe thinking of eventually giving up the idea of M2 and this because of both the M3/M4 and these MPerformance cars. Don't get too happy about the M235i with a lsd if you really want to have a great M2, that will work against the M2.

Why exactly this M235i will be a better driver's car than the 1M or will it be? That is the only question I have in my mind, can someone answer? Don't tell me just because it is newer though.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #128
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
You guys really should be paying a bit more attention to if it will also be "beating" or at least equalling the 1M in terms of engagement and fun. They are throwing a word, a claim in front of you and some of you guys think that it means that it is going to be hell of a sports car because of that claim basically from a high rank marketing official whose job is to sell the new product! Why don't people insist asking if it will have a better steering set up or a different suspension geometry or different size tires and wheels or if it will be the exact same lsd of 435i which will lock up to 30% and how exactly it will work, if the car will be available for someone who doesn't want i-drive for instance, if the lsd will be made available only for someone who also opted for adaptive dampers and all other stuff etc. etc. There are so many questions that most people are not even wondering despite the fact that they probably are potential buyers, and instead just buying a claim that "it will be faster than the 1M on N-ring"; well thank you very much BMW, mostly thanks to your underrating policy even a Megane RS is faster than the 1M on the Ring, at least officially, and don't know why or how it is not faster than the 1M on any other track, go figure.

Just go and shoot BMW with some real questions that deserve an answer. This is supposed to be an enthusiast forum afterall, we are not buying a more silent washing machine here. Aim high for the next M2 too, like Levi who posted above if you want that car to be produced and be something really excited.

Don't you see that they are delaying or maybe thinking of eventually giving up the idea of M2 and this because of both the M3/M4 and these MPerformance cars. Don't get too happy about the M235i with a lsd if you really want to have a great M2, that will work against the M2.

Why exactly this M235i will be a better driver's car than the 1M or will it be? That is the only question I have in my mind, can someone answer? Don't tell me just because it is newer though.
The M235i will be faster then the 1M around the Nurburgring, but that doesn't mean its better in terms of sportiness or feel. These are two completely separate cars. One is a full on M car (a proper sports car), but very limited in terms of production, and the other is more perfect bargain sporty car (a car that is sporty is not the same as a sports car).

The M235i should be starting around 42-44k and people will actually be able to buy it so it will be a great deal. If you didn't get a 1M they are on sale for 60K now used. Also, for some people who care (I don't), the M235i comes with an auto transmission, which the 1M didn't. The M235i will also come with many features. If I remember on the 1M, you could not pick and choose options as freely and were limited to the 3 exterior and 1 interior.

But you are right, unless something drastic was made, the electric steering won't be close to the hydraulic steering feel.

It is like the comparison between the M135i and A45 AMG. One is a full out AMG while the other is a halfsies.

In terms of the M2, I think it is all about the timing. The M2 is not slated for another 2 years so there is plenty of time for the M235i. Plus, I would assume the M2 would have everything that makes a M car proper. Quad exhaust, a better LSD, DCT/Manual, carbon fiber bits, etc
      07-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #129
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
The M235i will be faster then the 1M around the Nurburgring, but that doesn't mean its better in terms of sportiness or feel. These are two completely separate cars. One is a full on M car (a proper sports car), but very limited in terms of production, and the other is more perfect bargain sporty car (a car that is sporty is not the same as a sports car).

The M235i should be starting around 42-44k and people will actually be able to buy it so it will be a great deal. If you didn't get a 1M they are on sale for 60K now used. Also, for some people who care (I don't), the M235i comes with an auto transmission, which the 1M didn't. The M235i will also come with many features. If I remember on the 1M, you could not pick and choose options as freely and were limited to the 3 exterior and 1 interior.

But you are right, unless something drastic was made, the electric steering won't be close to the hydraulic steering feel.

It is like the comparison between the M135i and A45 AMG. One is a full out AMG while the other is a halfsies.

In terms of the M2, I think it is all about the timing. The M2 is not slated for another 2 years so there is plenty of time for the M235i. Plus, I would assume the M2 would have everything that makes a M car proper. Quad exhaust, a better LSD, DCT/Manual, carbon fiber bits, etc
....better suspension ie stiffer bushings and stronger links
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #130
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Will be interesting to see how the car feels. M135i is a great car, but its not a full on M car. If M235i is a significant improvement that will be a mighty car.

Will have to see, though. M135i is already faster in some situations than 1M, but its not all about speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #131
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

What I tried to say in my previous posts is if these guys wish for a great M2 one day, they better start wishing it stronger and put their priorities straight. Like I say RS3 and A45AMG are also fast, anyone wants the M2 end up that kind of fast car? If that happens due to profile of a new clientele, it will smoke the 1M but it will also be just another fast car of its time and I couldn't care less for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #132
fasteddie222
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 and x1 35i

That 2 series is going to be great I wish I had the money for one . Next car will be a 135i