THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum "Drivetrain malfunction" error

06-07-2020, 12:49 AM   #1
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

"Drivetrain malfunction" error

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So, a used 2020 M240xi coupe magically popped up in my area this week. It's the first M240 coupe that's come available locally in the 2-3 months I have been shopping. What's more, it has all of my required options and is one of my preferred color schemes (Mineral Grey/Coral Red).

The car has roughly 6k miles on it. Digging into the history on CarFax, salesman & I discovered that it had been a repossession...

Anyhow, when I went to test drive it, this error appeared on iDrive (see photo). The salesman said he has seen this before and that it probably occurred during transport (it came from several states away), especially due to the car being AWD... Well if it occurred during transport, presumably that means it occurred because the car was mishandled, maybe when being towed? (Especially since it was repo'd & auctioned?) He said he would have a tech "clear the error," implying that that's all it is and that it isn't a symptom of an actual problem.

Just wondering whether others have experience with this particular error and whether it could in fact be something relatively innocuous... Or if I should run the other way screaming.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
So, a used 2020 M240xi coupe magically popped up in my area this week. It's the first M240 coupe that's come available locally in the 2-3 months I have been shopping. What's more, it has all of my required options and is one of my preferred color schemes (Mineral Grey/Coral Red).

The car has roughly 6k miles on it. Digging into the history on CarFax, salesman & I discovered that it had been a repossession...

Anyhow, when I went to test drive it, this error appeared on iDrive (see photo). The salesman said he has seen this before and that it probably occurred during transport (it came from several states away), especially due to the car being AWD... Well if it occurred during transport, presumably that means it occurred because the car was mishandled, maybe when being towed? (Especially since it was repo'd & auctioned?) He said he would have a tech "clear the error," implying that that's all it is and that it isn't a symptom of an actual problem.

Just wondering whether others have experience with this particular error and whether it could in fact be something relatively innocuous... Or if I should run the other way screaming.
Drivetrain malfunction means something with the chassis/ drivetrain or suspension has a fault. I would plug the car in and see what's coming up, it could be something as simple as a edc sensor or something very bad. I'd get this looked at right away, plus it lol put the car in link mode so driving will be shitty.
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Those types of messages are so "general" it is hard to know what it is. Definitely not a deal breaker, get it scanned. It is a 2020 and has full warranty so you are covered there for many years. These cars are generally pretty problem free so take that for what it's worth.

Please follow up with what you find out from the service scan.
      06-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #4
ClassicWill
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible RWD

Got this message too. I simply turned the car off and turned it back on and haven't had any warning since haha
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

It should be under warranty for whatever its worth.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
...Anyhow, when I went to test drive it, this error appeared on iDrive (see photo). The salesman said he has seen this before...
When I saw it was because I changed put a LSD in which had a different ratio?

If it was a repo, there is no telling what the owner did. But if that is the issue, say someone put in or took out an LSD, it would happen on the highway all the time and at the same speed. If it is truly random, I would have someone who knows what they are doing look at it as that transmission is expensive and there is always the possibility that it will last through warranty and then....

And, it is possible to code out the error, but it's a new car for you, you should have all the details before anything is done.

Just my 2˘.

///Rich
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 01:19 AM   #7
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:

Wyldstyle, repos are a bad idea. It isn't hard to imagine one becoming spiteful and abusive toward, let alone keep up with maintaining, a piece of property that is about to be "taken away". Secondly, repo trucks aren't gentle. Thirdly, this car has issues.

I mean, this is a 2020 so you are still paying a pretty penny for it... why compromise to save a few dollars more at such a high price point anyway?

My advice is to avoid this car altogether. You don't know what happened to it in its young life, but it wasn't pretty. Steer clear. Keep your eyes open for something better.

Edit: I am loving all the rational and technical responses in this thread but I wish more people would see how wrong it is to be buying such a low mileage current year car with a repo history, issues, and a deceptive salesperson involved. If he was any bit sincere, he would have shared your concern instead of brushing it off as "oh happened 'cuz of transport, you know, AWD and shit". Come on.

Edit 2: buying pre-owned BMWs from dealer lots is something I just feel uncomfortable with. If I was looking for a pre-owned BMW I'd rather buy it from some old dude, first owner and all that, who knows his cars, than buy it off a dealer's lot. But then again, I hate cars out of warranty!
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 01:21 AM   #8
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicwilly View Post
Got this message too. I simply turned the car off and turned it back on and haven't had any warning since haha
That's so classic Willy!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:33 AM   #9
phatmanatee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 m240ix - sunset orange

My previous car was a 2016 X3. I got that same message after I had Dinantronics stage 1 installed. It turned out the shop installed the wrong version (electronic rather then mechanical wastegate). Maybe check if there is any piggy back tune or any other mods that may be causing this.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #10
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
Yeah that didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
It should be under warranty for whatever its worth.
Yes, it has a bit over 3 years left on the warranty. But if something were significantly damaged in something like the transmission, etc, even if it is fixed, I would be worried that it's overall health/lifespan might be affected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
When I saw it was because I changed put a LSD in which had a different ratio?

If it was a repo, there is no telling what the owner did. But if that is the issue, say someone put in or took out an LSD, it would happen on the highway all the time and at the same speed. If it is truly random, I would have someone who knows what they are doing look at it as that transmission is expensive and there is always the possibility that it will last through warranty and then....
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmanatee View Post
My previous car was a 2016 X3. I got that same message after I had Dinantronics stage 1 installed. It turned out the shop installed the wrong version (electronic rather then mechanical wastegate). Maybe check if there is any piggy back tune or any other mods that may be causing this.
So couple things on this --
1) The person only had the car for like 5 months. Appears that it was purchased in September (title issued in Oct) & it was repo'd in February. I'm guessing they never made a payment. It seems unlikely that in that time, with money that tight, they invested in tuning.
2) FWIW, and I say this as a woman myself, the prior owner was a woman (I have the warranty report, which shows her name). I am sure there ARE women who tune/mod their cars, but considering that I do not know a single other woman who even cares about cars as much as I do, I find it even more unlikely that the car was tuned or modded. (I suppose technically she could've registered the car but someone else drove it, but again, dwindling probabilities.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Wyldstyle, repos are a bad idea. It isn't hard to imagine one becoming spiteful and abusive toward, let alone keep up with maintaining, a piece of property that is about to be "taken away". Secondly, repo trucks aren't gentle. Thirdly, this car has issues.

I mean, this is a 2020 so you are still paying a pretty penny for it... why compromise to save a few dollars more at such a high price point anyway?

My advice is to avoid this car altogether. You don't know what happened to it in its young life, but it wasn't pretty. Steer clear. Keep your eyes open for something better.

Edit: I am loving all the rational and technical responses in this thread but I wish more people would see how wrong it is to be buying such a low mileage current year car with a repo history, issues, and a deceptive salesperson involved. If he was any bit sincere, he would have shared your concern instead of brushing it off as "oh happened 'cuz of transport, you know, AWD and shit". Come on.

Edit 2: buying pre-owned BMWs from dealer lots is something I just feel uncomfortable with. If I was looking for a pre-owned BMW I'd rather buy it from some old dude, first owner and all that, who knows his cars, than buy it off a dealer's lot. But then again, I hate cars out of warranty!
I very much appreciate the input.

I also prefer to keep cars under warranty, but I am tired of leasing (and the 2 series doesn't lease well). It's not great financial practice to buy new and then sell in ~4-5 years. Buying a lightly used car that's current MY, that eats that initial depreciation, theoretically would seem to make that a more rational approach.

Something about this car's being a repo has made me uneasy. Also, the car has 3 door dings (2 on one side, 1 on the other) that I'm told will be like they were never there when the shop is done. I believe that is true, but again, it makes me wonder about the car's, um, living conditions (or repo conditions). 3 door dings in 5 months? And then there was this error.

On the other hand, it only has 6k miles, and it's under warranty...

But to your point, the savings would have to be significant. Their current price appears reasonable (MSRP $55k, listed at ~$44,700), but that is definitely not good enough all things considered. In particular, the 0.9% financing isn't available on used/CPO 2020s, which means something like $1500 more in interest.

IF the rebates ($3750) & APR (0.9%) currently offered on 2020s are extended to 2021s (big if??), I could theoretically custom order a 2021 for like $1500 more. That is assuming what I think is a modest 5% dealer discount on the order. I could possibly do even better if I just wait for a 2021 inventory car.

But if they would come down to $40k...??? I don't know that they'll move that far, but considering that they apparently bought it at auction I have to imagine that they have plenty of room. However, there are so few in the country right now that I doubt they'll feel the need to come down much.

I have told the salesperson I'd like to see a report from the shop diagnosing the drivetrain error... We'll see what comes of that.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #11
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah that didn't work.
]
I very much appreciate the input.

I also prefer to keep cars under warranty, but I am tired of leasing (and the 2 series doesn't lease well). It's not great financial practice to buy new and then sell in ~4-5 years. Buying a lightly used car that's current MY, that eats that initial depreciation, theoretically would seem to make that a more rational approach.

Something about this car's being a repo has made me uneasy. Also, the car has 3 door dings (2 on one side, 1 on the other) that I'm told will be like they were never there when the shop is done. I believe that is true, but again, it makes me wonder about the car's, um, living conditions (or repo conditions). 3 door dings in 5 months? And then there was this error.

On the other hand, it only has 6k miles, and it's under warranty...

But to your point, the savings would have to be significant. Their current price appears reasonable (MSRP $55k, listed at ~$44,700), but that is definitely not good enough all things considered. In particular, the 0.9% financing isn't available on used/CPO 2020s, which means something like $1500 more in interest.

IF the rebates ($3750) & APR (0.9%) currently offered on 2020s are extended to 2021s (big if??), I could theoretically custom order a 2021 for like $1500 more. That is assuming what I think is a modest 5% dealer discount on the order. I could possibly do even better if I just wait for a 2021 inventory car.

But if they would come down to $40k...??? I don't know that they'll move that far, but considering that they apparently bought it at auction I have to imagine that they have plenty of room. However, there are so few in the country right now that I doubt they'll feel the need to come down much.

I have told the salesperson I'd like to see a report from the shop diagnosing the drivetrain error... We'll see what comes of that.
I absolutely understand the attraction. I just think that if a car, at such a young age, is throwing such a serious error, what else could be wrong? I would never feel confident with the car. Yet! It is so near 40k! And it has all the options you want!! I am sure you will make the best decision...

Knock them down to 40k; I am sure they will. I think you will even yield at ~41k given the market you have experienced. I have a feeling you will only get one knockdown from them, so make it count: if I were you I would just present my offer and see what they say. If you ask them to throw out a number they will simply say "44k round take it or leave it". I can't tell you why I think that hah. Just make an offer and see what they do.

I still say that if I can pick up a brand new one for 33% off MSRP, so can you (sorry, not sorry for bragging!). I did that with my previous two cars as well. I start aiming for one model year behind the one that is just starting to show up on lots. It is just the timing right now.

One thing is for sure, both my wife and I are rooting for you!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post

I would say that the first bit of advice is spot on.

I used to do car loans in detroit. Saw plenty of Repo operations. Talked to them a lot cause it was fun to hear about. Repo guy may not care that this has to be towed on a flatbed.

They likely hooked two wheels up, lifted it, and gunned it out of there. Any damage during repo will get added to what the loan holder owes, along with repo fees and any missing equipment. win/win for the finance company.

No telling what kind of actual drivetrain damage was done.

Either way, I would not buy this without a full inspection by their service department, and the documents that went with it.

Even if they do agree to fix this..who knows what issues you'll have down the road, and if you buy this with the idea that whatever goes wrong can be fixed under warranty...that would be a terrible ownership experience.

The warranty is there for peace of mind, ideally to never be utilized.

Drivetrain malfunction is a general error message, but it has never been something that is minor, except for charge pipes on the n55's.

The other scenario..buying from an old guy with service records, would always be ideal, but in the absence of ideal, the dealer exists to "service" us
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #13
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

run away. don't look back. warranty won't cover damage from a bad tow, will it?
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      06-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #14
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Repo guys will drag a car out of a driveway and down a block or two after hooking two wheels to get away from the bad owner before they either flatbed it or dolly because its AWD.

If the dealer can prove or show enough evidence it was towed (for whatever reason) it is not a defect that BMW will fix under warranty.

When you say salesman, I assume this car is not at a BMW dealer because they can scan it and see whats up and fix it before sale. If IT IS at a BMW dealer, run because if they're selling the car with that known problem they know its fucked and trying to dump it on the next sucker.

Even if it is at a dealer and they agree to fix it, or if you can somehow get BMW warranty to cover the problem, do you really want to buy a very expensive car with super low miles that you will have for a long time with a known major problem that was patched up and could rear its ugly head soon (or right after the warranty expires)?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #15
Windmania
Rep
Drives: M235 & 228i

I have a 2016 M235i and this came on a couple months ago. I was merging onto the highway and “poof”, no power and this error showed.

It landed up being the “charge pipe.” It was covered under the CPO.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #16
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmania View Post
I have a 2016 M235i and this came on a couple months ago. I was merging onto the highway and “poof”, no power and this error showed.

It landed up being the “charge pipe.” It was covered under the CPO.
that is a known issue for the N55 motors and has no similarity to whats described in this post. The b58 (M240I and M240IX) does not have the issue that the m235/335 did with chargepipes randomly exploding.
Appreciate 0