THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Wait for next model or... pull the trigger?

06-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
pandrath
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

Wait for next model or... pull the trigger?

I have been considering the coupe for some months now, and am now in a position that i could order it. I would order a 220i, could potentially stretch for a 230i, but not more (cars are very expensive here in Greece due to taxation).

I am just having doubts because it is now a quite old model and probably they will come out with a new iteration sometime next year. Especially the interior i find it outdated, maybe because i drive a 1 series hatchback which is nearly identical... but i am not impressed with the latest models (3 series, 1 series) exterior design, so i may not like the new 2 coupe as much as the current one.

There is also the depreciation, i am afraid an older model will depreciate faster. Also I cannot get any large discount because dealers here do not stock the 2 (usually stocked cars have larger discounts) as there is not enough demand, and in any case i am particular with the configuration i want.

So, i would like to hear opinions - would you pull the trigger at this point in the model lifecycle, or wait for the next iteration?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
I've been debating this myself as I've been considering an M240. The next 2 is reportedly going to be a MY 2022 and will start production in mid-2021. You'll hear people recommend not to buy the first year of a new model since BMW will need to get all of the bugs worked out. If you believe in that advice, then you'd be ordering the G42 2 series in about three years.

My personal opinion is that the current 2 series is a decent looking car, but not a great looking car. I'll be curious to see what the new 4 series and M3 look like from a styling perspective to possibly get some clues as to what the G42 could look like.

This probably hasn't helped you at all, but at this point I'm holding onto my 335.
      06-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Yassas from New York,

I have a 2018 230i vert. Love it. If you can wait till spy shots or legit specs come out for the new model, you would have a better outlook.
My wife has a 2019 X3 and I'm not thrilled about BMWs new interior. Too much piano black (fingerprints) new graphics on the instrument cluster (could be coded?)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
If you really like the style of the new dash layout in new 3 Series, Z4 and 8 Series, then I'd wait. That said, I find BMW styling, especially exterior styling, is generally very evolutionary and wouldn't expect the updated 2 Series to look significantly different than the current version. Also, while the current 2 Series dash layout is a bit dated with the analog gauges, I like that aspect. I am always a bit concerned with more and more electronic tech, as it's just something else to fail and need expensive repair or replacement at some point. Also, I think at the rate of tech changes, it looks more "dated" faster as even newer tech comes out.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear

Last edited by p912guy; 06-25-2019 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
pandrath
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

Thanks everyone for your input. I was hoping that my wait would be 1 to 1.5yrs, if indeed we are looking at 2-3 years until the next model, then I may just get too impatient

I do like the new 3 series interior, even if i haven't actually tried it myself in detail. The current 2-series interiod one is fine, but I have been using a similar version of it for 7 years in two different 1-series and would rather have a change.

I suppose we will see the new 4 series after the summer, so makes sense to wait until then to get a hint on the possible styling for the 2.
Appreciate 0