THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Catless Code Won't Delete

01-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
camelpouch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i Coupe

Catless Code Won't Delete

Hi all! Long time lurker here, but first post!

I have a 2018 M240i that recently went catless, and as expected, the CEL came on the next day. I then used BimmerLink to scan Error Memory for codes and got 180001 (No Description Available), though after some searching, I found that the code description is "Catalyst: Efficiency Below Limit". But when I went to delete the code, BimmerLink was unable to do it and displayed the red warning saying something like "Unable to clear code. Please try again".

Anyone else experience this? If so, anyone have an alternative way of clearing this code that doesn't involve flash tuning? I've contacted BimmerLink regarding this but have yet to get a response, if at all.

I used to get this on my 2015 M235i as it was also catless, but BimmerLink was able to clear the code whenever I tried.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also my apologies if this belongs in the B58 forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
RyanQz
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i

Im not sure about clearing the CEL code, but I recently found a solution to eliminating the CEL and getting O2 and Cat sensors in ready state (will pass OBD I/M readiness test for inspection).

I had previously used a longer L-shaped spacer on the bank 2 O2 sensor. This stopped the CEL from appearing, but I/M readiness would not pass (these tests relate to the Catalyst efficiency measurements).

It was too long and didn't let enough gas to the sensor. I ended up stacking two "Dorman Spark Plug Non-Foulers" to create a straight spacer about 1.5" long. It has worked perfectly - systems went into ready state after the first drive.

You can find these at any Autozone or O'Reilly's for about $5 each:
Dorman - Help Spark Plug Non-Foulers - 18mm Tapered Seat
Part # 42009 (smallest height)
Part # 42002 (medium height)

These spacers can be added to the O2 sensor without removing the DP as well. Just had to take out the airbox for room.

2017 M240i, B58, VFRS DP for reference
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
FutbolManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanQz View Post
Im not sure about clearing the CEL code, but I recently found a solution to eliminating the CEL and getting O2 and Cat sensors in ready state (will pass OBD I/M readiness test for inspection).

I had previously used a longer L-shaped spacer on the bank 2 O2 sensor. This stopped the CEL from appearing, but I/M readiness would not pass (these tests relate to the Catalyst efficiency measurements).

It was too long and didn't let enough gas to the sensor. I ended up stacking two "Dorman Spark Plug Non-Foulers" to create a straight spacer about 1.5" long. It has worked perfectly - systems went into ready state after the first drive.

These spacers can be added to the O2 sensor without removing the DP as well. Just had to take out the airbox for room.

Can you post a pic on the car what it looks like with those installed?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelpouch View Post
Hi all! Long time lurker here, but first post!

I have a 2018 M240i that recently went catless, and as expected, the CEL came on the next day. I then used BimmerLink to scan Error Memory for codes and got 180001 (No Description Available), though after some searching, I found that the code description is "Catalyst: Efficiency Below Limit". But when I went to delete the code, BimmerLink was unable to do it and displayed the red warning saying something like "Unable to clear code. Please try again".

Anyone else experience this? If so, anyone have an alternative way of clearing this code that doesn't involve flash tuning? I've contacted BimmerLink regarding this but have yet to get a response, if at all.

I used to get this on my 2015 M235i as it was also catless, but BimmerLink was able to clear the code whenever I tried.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also my apologies if this belongs in the B58 forum.
what's going on? this is what i use to check and clear codes. as well as check battery and other goodies. literally use this all the time

https://amzn.to/2uNzN0X
      03-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
camelpouch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i Coupe

So I got a response from BimmerLink regarding why it was able to clear engine codes on my 235 but not my 240 - they claim BMW has updated the ECU on newer vehicles to restrict clearing of errors that are emissions related. BimmerLink uses a manufacturer specific service to issue its commands and hence cannot bypass the restriction. But they suggested trying a generic app that uses a basic OBD request, so I tried this and it worked by clearing all DTcs (used OBD Fusion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanQz View Post

Oh sweeeet I'll definitely have to consider this! Has everything been running smoothly since? Just asking because I've heard some stories of people who installed long spacers and started getting choking/stalling, though this never made sense to me as I thought the bank 2 O2 sensor is only for cat efficiency and doesn't affect AFR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonz F22 View Post
what's going on? this is what i use to check and clear codes. as well as check battery and other goodies. literally use this all the time

https://amzn.to/2uNzN0X
Ah I'll have to look into this too! I was able to clear the catless CEL using a generic OBD iOS app (OBD Fusion) by clearing all the DTCs, but it also resets all the adaptations. I wonder if that Veepak scanner can clear the code without also resetting adaptations (for more regularly use).
Appreciate 0