THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Are these pads glazed? Usable?

02-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Are these pads glazed? Usable?

I'd like to get an opinion on these track pads. Are they glazed? Are they usable?

After my last track event at Road America, these are what my track pads looked like. I'll admit that I abused them with RA's heavy braking corners, coming in too hot too often. They continued to work well all weekend, with no real fade, but they were providing less overall friction as the weekend went on. I was braking a full marker farther back by the end of the weekend. But they still seemed to work as well as ever on the road trip home.

The fronts still have 10mm+ of pad (out of 12mm new), so plenty of thickness left. The rears are 11mm+. I'd really prefer to save my track budget for other things before shelling out another $500+ for a set of track pads for this season.

So, are these still usable? Could I file off the shiny layer, or something, to improve them? They aren't crumbling, the edges are generally good, and the cracking is light/shallow, so I don't think they're a total loss, are they?

This pad is about the shiniest.
Name:  glazed pad.jpg
Views: 4960
Size:  154.5 KB

This is the front and rear inside pads. All of the pads, front/rear, inside/outside, are about the same. You can also see the dark brake dust accumulation spots that were on the pads when I first pulled them out of the calipers.
Name:  glazed pad all.jpg
Views: 7182
Size:  194.6 KB

These are what the front and rear discs looked like when I pulled the track pads off (and swapped the OEM back on). Not shiny new, but to my eyes they don't look horribly burnt. Plenty of thickness left.
Name:  glazed pad disc front.jpg
Views: 6644
Size:  132.4 KB
Name:  glazed pad rear disc.jpg
Views: 10900
Size:  136.6 KB

I hesitate to mention the brand of these pads, as I know I really pushed them hard. If they have failed it is likely my bad technique/abuse, and no fault of the pad. So, please keep that in mind. They are Ferodo DS1.11's. This was the second weekend on these pads. The first weekend was at BIR, which has some big brake corners, but isn't quite as tough on brakes as RA. They looked great after the BIR event, with only 1mm of wear on the fronts, and virtually none on the rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

I would be more concerned with the cracking than the glossiness. The cracking points to incorrect bedding and/or over working the pads.

Based on what you said I would guess they got above their optimal temperature. Is your ducting open?
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
So, are these still usable? Could I file off the shiny layer, or something, to improve them? They aren't crumbling, the edges are generally good, and the cracking is light/shallow, so I don't think they're a total loss, are they?
I haven't used DS1.11s, so I don't know what they look like when they've been worked hard and/or are near the end of their useful life.

Based upon how they look in general, I would carry a spare set of pads with me before leaving for the track. I'm pretty easy on brakes and don't drive a lot of laps, so my spares are virtually new OEMs. I'd only use them to get home, though.

If you bought the pads from an outfit that's qualified to answer your questions, you might try them for advice. Vendors like Bimmerworld and Essex Parts can tell you pretty much everything there is to know about the pads they sell.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Those pads are broken don’t use them.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #5
wallofgrath
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Those Ferodos DS1.111's are a full race/track pad right? That's surprising they have those crack lines after only 1 event. It's your gamble to make... if you want to chance re-using them. My guess is the pad with heavy crack lines is a front pad, right? Maybe the pad material will chunk off at the next event... Personally I would keep the rears and replace only the fronts with Carbotech XP8 or XP10 (excellent and fair price). Not worth losing an event - or worse - over $200. For the rears, you can use a stock set of pads as a back-up option in desperate times.

Edit: Just re-read that the cracking is shallow. Do you daily drive the car? You could keep driving the car on the street, and re-check the pads before your next event to see if the cracks wear away back to normal pad material (might take a long time on the street though).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

dradernh I always have a spare set of pads with me at the track. As you said, if for nothing else but to get home with. I bring the DS2500's I drive in the summer that I'm swapping for these.

ScottSinger Could you elaborate a bit on 'broken'?

K8_M235i Yes, front brake ducts are open. But with the weight and speed of these cars, it's nearly impossible to get enough cool air on them.

wallofgrath I do/did daily drive these pads the week before, to/from, and the week after track events. They've been off since fall. (I use the OEM's in winter.) They work quite well on the street, but like all full track pads they squeal like crazy. So loud. They also clunk loudly, especially the rears, on every forward/reverse change. They have no shims, and are designed to be loose in the calipers.

UPDATE
It was a nice day today, so I was puttering in the garage and took another look at the pads. I decided to see if I could remove the glazing on the pads. At this point, what did I have to lose.

Wow. Those shiny spots are rock hard. Sandpaper doesn't make a dent. Grinding wheels barely touch it. A good bastard mill file barely makes a scratch. I tried every abrasive tool I have and the best I could do was some shallow grooves that didn't even get to the raw brake materiel. After digging at them this way I have no fear they would come apart. But, I also doubt I'll ever wear them back to good materiel. And they definitely aren't working as well as they should all shiny.

<sigh> Looks like it's new pads. At least the fronts. I will re-use the backs as they aren't near as bad. Rats. That's a hit to the track budget.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Trash them! Get a set of PFC's, Pagid or Endless pads and you won't see that again from my experience. Carbotech XP's are good too!