THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes KC Design Strut Brace Review

04-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #23
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsramme2 View Post
Anyone followed thru on the 4 point rear bar?
looks a bit more solid then the orginal one.
I will tell you that the 4-point brace is the one which is worth it. The trapezoidal truss ensures the IRS behaves as it is bolted into the axle carrier under the bushings. Not only does this perform the same function as the M4 braces do in the subframe, but these essentially reinforce the rear axle carrier as well closing the K. Essential if you are looking to drag or track your car or simply to reduce long-term metal fatigue. Daily street driving you will not notice.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #24
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Almost 2 years later and how are these holding up? Any rust, squeaking, or any other issues with the front strut brace?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #25
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Almost 2 years later and how are these holding up? Any rust, squeaking, or any other issues with the front strut brace?
No issues with my front/rear braces. Saw 10 track days last year, plenty of choppy dirt/gravel/mud miles and still going strong.
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00
      01-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #26
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Still thinking about adding some braces to my M240i convertible
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:04 AM   #27
ssanders307
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xdrive coupe

Picking up this old thread in case anyone is perusing for any further input. I recently purchased a 2015 435i drive coupe base trim, 6MT. The car felt very soft and unwieldy in turns - steering feedback was sluggish and body roll did not inspire confidence. I purchased both front and rear tower braces from KC and installed them while keeping my suspension stock. The difference wasn't very noticeable as the stock suspension was too soft to have the braces translate into reducing body roll significantly.

A few weeks ago I installed Dinan lowering springs, which, paired with the KC tower braces tied the suspension together perfectly. I now have a great amount of feedback and the car feels planted, stable and much, much sportier. I've never had coilovers so cannot comment on those in comparison however as a spirited driver I am very satisfied.

Next up, installing these bad boys:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
FaRKle!3996.00
Jpup26.00
      10-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #28
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanders307 View Post
Picking up this old thread in case anyone is perusing for any further input. I recently purchased a 2015 435i drive coupe base trim, 6MT. The car felt very soft and unwieldy in turns - steering feedback was sluggish and body roll did not inspire confidence. I purchased both front and rear tower braces from KC and installed them while keeping my suspension stock. The difference wasn't very noticeable as the stock suspension was too soft to have the braces translate into reducing body roll significantly.

A few weeks ago I installed Dinan lowering springs, which, paired with the KC tower braces tied the suspension together perfectly. I now have a great amount of feedback and the car feels planted, stable and much, much sportier. I've never had coilovers so cannot comment on those in comparison however as a spirited driver I am very satisfied.

Next up, installing these bad boys:
did you complete the install? How was the fit?
Thats the 4 point version, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #29
mike185
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 X28i ; M235i xdrive Convert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Had KC ship me front and rear strut braces for me F23. Excellent fit and finish, really fast shipping too. About a week from Taiwan. KC is really easy to work with, expect a 24 hour delay on email responses with the time difference. Got the front one first, ran that for about a week before ordering the rear. Excellent clearance around the engine bay, definite improvement in overall chassis stiffness. That said, I cannot give an honest opinion on results for a coupe. I had a coupe that was a lot stiffer than my convertible, even with all the extra bracing. I also run 17" BBS rims with beefier rubber now since the roads by me are garbage. I would 100% recommend this on a convertible, coupe I definitely THINK it would help but I can't say that for sure. Great quality, pricing in line or a bit better than others I have seen, and super easy to work with.

Website for those interested: http://www.tw-kcdesign.com/products.php

Torque the front bolts to 30NM, I confirmed this with trusted sources (Matt the Dinan Tsar at Thompson). BTW the rear even works with the BMW OEM trunk liner installed, which was a nice surprise. Last photo rear isn't scratched, that's a feather or something that came out of my jacket
Hi
I order the KC front strut bar for my 2016 M235i convertible , received very quick , went to install I seen one side seemed higher drivers side , I sprayed some wax on the bar and closed the hood when fully installed and open the hood and notice foam and slight indent in the hood padding , I quickly contacted KC , said it's normal , I am returning my strut , I believe over time it will eat away the padding and cause bigger damage , FYI
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
dradernh4179.00
Miata1385.50
      02-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #30
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Anyone happened to measure the weight on the front strut bar ?
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #31
Rowie01
Rep
Drives: M235i

I just added a Racing Dynamics aluminum front strut brace - not very heavy at all but definitely very stiff. I’d guess maybe 5 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #32
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Been looking at strut tower braces myself recently. Am I missing something, or do you have to take this one completely off to remove the engine cover?

Considering something like this;

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-racing-d...969922011~rdy/

Might not be as stiff structurally, but only two bolts to remove.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #33
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
Been looking at strut tower braces myself recently. Am I missing something, or do you have to take this one completely off to remove the engine cover?

Considering something like this;

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-racing-d...969922011~rdy/

Might not be as stiff structurally, but only two bolts to remove.
Yeah the bar has to come off to remove the engine cover. I would get a 1 piece bar though, it only takes a minute to remove with a little impact gun, and how often would you be removing it anyway?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #34
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep

I'd be removing it whenever I have to go in for service. Both to remove the JB+ under the cover since I'm under warranty, as well as to not create extra work for the service techs if they need it off. Realistically perhaps a couple times a year, but easier the better if I ever needed to do it on the side the road.

If it had QR pins rather than bolts, I'd pay a premium for that myself. I'm thinking it could be a useful mod.

Last edited by Kernel Kurtz; 08-26-2021 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #35
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
I'd be removing it whenever I have to go in for service. Both to remove the JB+ under the cover since I'm under warranty, as well as to not create extra work for the service techs if they need it off. Realistically perhaps a couple times a year, but easier the better if I ever needed to do it on the side the road.

If it had QR pins rather than bolts, I'd pay a premium for that myself. I'm thinking it could be a useful mod.
Well the bolts also hold the struts to the car, pins wouldnt work there. It wouldn't honestly take more than 1 minute to remove, maybe 2-3 with hand tools, filling the gas tank takes longer.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2021, 07:08 PM   #36
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep

Of course I meant pins to remove the crossbar, not to attach to the strut towers (in a multi piece system). I have plenty of air and hand tools, but still I appreciate designs that don't need them.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #37
flypenfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Cayenne, 2015 Msport 228i

Doesn't seem like a good idea without doing the sway bars at the same time, even then, just stiffening up the body will probably do wonky things to the neutral handling.
Appreciate 0