THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Audi vs BMW / please dont vote I'm getting a 2 series :)

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy (or consider)?
2014 Audi A5 Cabriolet 8 14.55%
2014 BMW 2 Series Convertible 41 74.55%
Other convertible 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

08-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #45
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

City driving: 2 series
Highway driving: A5 Cab
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #46
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
City driving: 2 series
Highway driving: A5 Cab
Driving a higher quality machine designed with competence and not backed by liars and crooks with the only automotive CEO in the world in jail: BMW

Driving an unreliable tarted up VW with lower quality, unreliable service and support at the corporate level, bailing out on warranty issues, and world-class unprecedented criminality in the industry: Audi

Strong letter to follow...
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:56 PM   #47
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Driving a higher quality machine designed with competence and not backed by liars and crooks with the only automotive CEO in the world in jail: BMW

Driving an unreliable tarted up VW with lower quality, unreliable service and support at the corporate level, bailing out on warranty issues, and world-class unprecedented criminality in the industry: Audi

Strong letter to follow...
The 2 series shares the same chassis with the 1 series hatchback in Europe, which is the "budget" BMW. Aside from the superb driving dynamics, it is not comfortable, almost everywhere you touch is made out of plastic, the driver's seat is not straight.

On the other side, the A5 has nothing to do with VW, it uses the MLB platform with other high end Audi's and Porsches. It doesn't have good steering feel, but it feels very stable on the road, much more comfortable than the 2 series. Just because VW cheated diesel emission ONCE doesn't mean they are trash. Is Bentley trash? Is Bugatti trash? Is Ducati trash? Besides, I don't give a crap about emission.

And what is your evidence of "lower quality, unreliable service and support at the corporate level, bailing out on warranty issues", have you even owned an Audi before?
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      08-31-2018, 07:24 AM   #48
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The 2 series shares the same chassis with the 1 series hatchback in Europe, which is the "budget" BMW. Aside from the superb driving dynamics, it is not comfortable, almost everywhere you touch is made out of plastic, the driver's seat is not straight.

On the other side, the A5 has nothing to do with VW, it uses the MLB platform with other high end Audi's and Porsches. It doesn't have good steering feel, but it feels very stable on the road, much more comfortable than the 2 series. Just because VW cheated diesel emission ONCE doesn't mean they are trash. Is Bentley trash? Is Bugatti trash? Is Ducati trash? Besides, I don't give a crap about emission.

And what is your evidence of "lower quality, unreliable service and support at the corporate level, bailing out on warranty issues", have you even owned an Audi before?
Post #12 and #34. Never again. The quality problems and poor resolution were frequent.

As to the old and about to be discarded MLB platform vs a shared MQB which simply allows for transverse versus longititudinal engines:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/ne...orm-good-thing

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...roup-platforms

The issue is that the corporate culture is "trash"....from unprecedented deception resulting in the first automotive CEO ever to be jailed down to compelling a tech to alter an RO to help them deny a legitmate warranty claim. If philosophy/morality of a company is of zero importance to how or where you spend your money, that is your choice. Such intentional planned fraud and cheating matters to me. It's not even the typical cover up of an error....it was a planned intention to defraud. That is an overarching reason to abandon them. The individual treatment we got with our A6 was totally dishonorable. None of these companies are "saints", but they have hit a new low and somewhere there is a line not to cross. My standards are such that I will never reward them again with a penny. There are too many other better choices than to deal with the products or people at VW/Audi.

Not sure what your 2 Series comfort concerns may be, but from the contour of the sport seat to the compliance of the suspension, I find it quite comfortable, one of the reasons I bought it.

As to the 1 Series, it is positioned as entry level due to being a hatchback top hat on the shared platform as the 2. That has no meaningful implications versus other cars of similar size. And, the logic goes both ways. Try an MB CLA....similar size and entry level vehicle, but with poor comfort due to impact harshness. A platform can be developed in various sizes to have various characteristics. BMW happens to be very good at impact harshness management. Audi is good at test drives and providing a well-massaged set of press vehicles for magazine reviews. Living with one is another story, and having dumped the last one with economic loss, my advice is not to make the same original mistake of brand selection we did in 2016.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-31-2018 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 08:18 PM   #49
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

just to add another 2c's

BMW dealer in que. gave me in writing $16k trade-in, on a 2 series vert (around $36k)
however the market in Quebec is different, the prices are a lot lower,
so at least I can see a general trend between $15k-$20k, more down south
and open to negotiation as always
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 08:20 PM   #50
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Very good points, didnt know that about the chassis, but defo the A5 felt rock solid

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #51
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
To me, the A5/2-series comparison is odd. The A5 is larger, comparable to the 4-series in all respects. It is a nice-looking vehicle, but a bit of a whale to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #52
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I will never, under any circumstances, own an Audi or VW again. The cars were ok, but customer relations sucked big time, especially when I had problems. I once had a customer service rep tell me that they would not honor warranty claims for power window issues if the windows had been tinted. Supposedly, the expensive, professionally-installed film could somehow "interfere" with window operation.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4647.00
      09-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #53
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

just maybe a final thought,

Today I actually drove a 228i.

* IT handled really good, better than the audi, steering was so light, it has the different settings.

* nice exhaust note, and PUP was good

* compared to the 1, I would def, go with a 2. I'm a believer

* Also, apparently, now you don't have to get the ext. guarantee at time of purchase, can do it, a certain time before it expires. Especially good, as if the car gets totaled before that, you haven't blown 2.5k on a w'tee, so I cam concentrate on the car price and not extras

(the one I looked at was a 16' with 22k on it) so expires in 2020 or 80k)

Funny, on appraisal (see below)

Audi dealer, spit balled, $20k
BMW in que (on my VIN and pictures) $17.5k
BMW today in ont spit balled with no visual, 14-16k (he thought maybe 15)

^^^ of course all prior to negotiation

I didn't negioate, it was more a fact finding quest

interest rates

so
2 years 1.9%
3 years 2. something (sorry havent got it written here)
4-6 years 3.90&

So the 2 years is dooable, I may have another avenue of finance at 0.9%

So , after a lot of thoughts, I think now I wanna stay BMW, may wait till nov.dec, when prices come down,

Anyway, I have a good driveable car and I just need to find one which is in my budget
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #54
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
just maybe a final thought,

Today I actually drove a 228i.

* IT handled really good, better than the audi, steering was so light, it has the different settings.

* nice exhaust note, and PUP was good

* compared to the 1, I would def, go with a 2. I'm a believer

* Also, apparently, now you don't have to get the ext. guarantee at time of purchase, can do it, a certain time before it expires. Especially good, as if the car gets totaled before that, you haven't blown 2.5k on a w'tee, so I cam concentrate on the car price and not extras

(the one I looked at was a 16' with 22k on it) so expires in 2020 or 80k)

Funny, on appraisal (see below)

Audi dealer, spit balled, $20k
BMW in que (on my VIN and pictures) $17.5k
BMW today in ont spit balled with no visual, 14-16k (he thought maybe 15)

^^^ of course all prior to negotiation

I didn't negioate, it was more a fact finding quest

interest rates

so
2 years 1.9%
3 years 2. something (sorry havent got it written here)
4-6 years 3.90&

So the 2 years is dooable, I may have another avenue of finance at 0.9%

So , after a lot of thoughts, I think now I wanna stay BMW, may wait till nov.dec, when prices come down,

Anyway, I have a good driveable car and I just need to find one which is in my budget
Congrats on where you are heading. Of course, you will be giving up the opportunity to make a new, close, best friend.....the Audi Service Manager.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      09-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #55
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

LOLZ ^
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #56
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
If the convertible is what you want, definitely best to wait til Nov/Dec time frame for the best deal.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      09-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #57
kindofblue
Gone electric
Rep
Drives: i4 40eDrive 3/31/23 & Mach e

I test drove a '16 Audi A4 ragtop before buying the 228i ragtop and thought, IMHO, that the handling of the BMW was superior.
jaye9441007.00