THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan could use some help

05-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #23
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
Excellent point. Let me try that.
feel free to PM me if you need any help with this.

I source a lot of equipment through aliexpress/foreign countries..so Ive had my share of disputes for about EVERY situation possible.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #24
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Quote:
My wife and I had tickets for entertainment-related events for late last month. Initially it looked like we weren't going to get our money back. But, we were eventually refunded for both. Aleksander has some good feedback as well. One thing I've learned over the years; Persistence wears down resistance.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #25
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Quote:
feel free to PM me if you need any help with this.

I source a lot of equipment through aliexpress/foreign countries..so Ive had my share of disputes for about EVERY situation possible.
Just called and placed a dispute. Will see what happens. Thank you so much for the offer.
This app is like a support group huh. Reminds me of cbs mom.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #26
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just called and placed a dispute. Will see what happens. Thank you so much for the offer.
last thing I want is to be associated with any mom group.

Im trying to make my "cool years" last.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #27
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
last thing I want is to be associated with any mom group.

Im trying to make my "cool years" last.
That show is about an aa group.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #28
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That show is about an aa group.
ouch. I was way off then.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #29
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

An AA Mom group would even be more "ouch"
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #30
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
An AA Mom group would even be more "ouch"
Alright guys back to topic. We were talking about how dinan needed help right? What's our conclusion?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:02 AM   #31
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Alright guys back to topic. We were talking about how dinan needed help right? What's our conclusion?
My conclusion is that for the M240i the Elite V2 is a simple way to gain a noticeable amount of power. I haven't had any issues with mine.

I have the CAI in its box waiting to be installed. Since I'm not going to the track any more, it's 50/50 on my ever getting around to doing that.

As for the communication issue, I experienced a minor version years ago while querying Dinan to get product information. I decided I would have been better off going to a dealer rather than trying to reach them directly. As I wasn't ready to buy, though, it didn't make any real difference.

I did find Dinan responsive last year when I had a couple of questions about registering the Elite V2. Those questions were answered very quickly.

Last edited by dradernh; 05-11-2020 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      05-11-2020, 12:43 AM   #32
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You guys at least have this forum to complain about. My wife and I had our priceline trip canceled for us. Paid 6.5k for the 2 tickets and now neither priceline or the airline would refund our money even though they say they would. We have nowhere to complain about it. Life sucks people lie. It is what it is.
how did you pay for it? most premium travel credit cards will offer trip protection.

in the alternative, you could dispute the charge if it was recent.
You are in for a rude awakening my friend, just before corona hit, last year AMEX and Chase Visa (even the uppity Sapphire Reserve!) changed their rules to specifically not cover trip interruptions due to — you guessed it — pandemics/epidemics.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/epide...vel-insurance/
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #33
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

It seems Dinan is still going through M&A pains. It seems they've retained the product quality, but the communication and overall customer service is a gap in their current processes. Hopefully the parent company understands that, in order to realize the value of their purchase, they need to ensure top-notch communication and customer service. These were key reasons why Dinan originally earned their reputation and could charge premium prices.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #34
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
As stated before, I fully agree with you that there is much to be desired with the customer service process as it stands today. That is not being argued in the slightest. I try to be as open as I possibly can be and as you go through my history of posts I think that is quite evident. What I am saying is there are aspects of the process (I will not go into specifics) as it relates to ordering, warranty, and tech specifically that the internal Dinan team does not currently have direct control of. This can, and does, cause some heartburn on occassion as delays can occur as a result. The end consumer does not, and frankly should not, care about these things but I am stating this simply to be transparent and offer some perspective.

Coupled with the last month+ where we have been operating with a minimum staff there are going to be some delays in all aspects of the business. I can only stress that those in the building are doing everything we possibly can to have the business run as smoothly as possible in the interrim. Good news is the staff will be full strength again next week so wait times and what not should be reduced a fair amount. Shipping and the like still has its pitfalls as vendors/supply chain are way behind from plant closures but thats the case everywhere and uncontrollable at present.

As for your claim specifically -- Per tech-- the paperwork aspect cleared all the channels for corporate last Tuesday (4/28). Typically checks are sent out once a week on Thursday from accounting (in TN). I would have thought the check would have hit you by now but then again mail has been delayed around here so not sure if that may be the case everywhere or its something else entirely. I can ping accounting (in TN) but chances are they will not get to it before closing so if you do not see anything by early next week I would follow-up with your tech contact to get some tracking on when it was actually sent.
Got my check today. It was $40 short, stapled to a copy of the invoice. Hard to miss the correct amount due.

This is like some kind of comedy tv show routine now?
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21483.00
      05-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #35
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Got my check today. It was $40 short, stapled to a copy of the invoice. Hard to miss the correct amount due.

Ugh. If you haven't already, send a photo of the check over to Justin. I'll talk with him when he gets in and see what the next steps may be to get the balance resolved.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #36
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As stated before, I fully agree with you that there is much to be desired with the customer service process as it stands today. That is not being argued in the slightest. I try to be as open as I possibly can be and as you go through my history of posts I think that is quite evident. What I am saying is there are aspects of the process (I will not go into specifics) as it relates to ordering, warranty, and tech specifically that the internal Dinan team does not currently have direct control of. This can, and does, cause some heartburn on occassion as delays can occur as a result. The end consumer does not, and frankly should not, care about these things but I am stating this simply to be transparent and offer some perspective.

Coupled with the last month+ where we have been operating with a minimum staff there are going to be some delays in all aspects of the business. I can only stress that those in the building are doing everything we possibly can to have the business run as smoothly as possible in the interrim. Good news is the staff will be full strength again next week so wait times and what not should be reduced a fair amount. Shipping and the like still has its pitfalls as vendors/supply chain are way behind from plant closures but thats the case everywhere and uncontrollable at present.

As for your claim specifically -- Per tech-- the paperwork aspect cleared all the channels for corporate last Tuesday (4/28). Typically checks are sent out once a week on Thursday from accounting (in TN). I would have thought the check would have hit you by now but then again mail has been delayed around here so not sure if that may be the case everywhere or its something else entirely. I can ping accounting (in TN) but chances are they will not get to it before closing so if you do not see anything by early next week I would follow-up with your tech contact to get some tracking on when it was actually sent.

Dinan's Law: "If one is to deliver, one must underdeliver. Always."
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #37
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ugh. If you haven't already, send a photo of the check over to Justin. I'll talk with him when he gets in and see what the next steps may be to get the balance resolved.

whats the process to return this tuner?

You're going to nickel and dime me over a repair cost, due to your equipment failing?

I was told "the labor costs would be covered" not "the labor costs, minus any shop fees or sales tax".

This is an embarrassment to the Dinan brand.

How do I get a refund for this v2 tuner? the performance is neutered compared to V1, it lacks multiple features that V1 had (any basic self-function test or LED, bluetooth controls..) that even the cheap sport tuner carries.

I will GLADLY send it back to you, TODAY, and cover the shipping costs out of pocket, since your company needs it.

If you need a case study for how awful your company's customer service has become, to use internally and understand WHY your customers are defecting, feel free to use my name. I went from DEFENDING your brand in another thread here, to being given the runaround for a month now, over a reimbursement due to your failing equipment.
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21483.00
      05-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #38
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

whats the process to return this tuner?

You're going to nickel and dime me over a repair cost, due to your equipment failing?

I was told "the labor costs would be covered" not "the labor costs, minus any shop fees or sales tax".

This is an embarrassment to the Dinan brand.

How do I get a refund for this v2 tuner? the performance is neutered compared to V1, it lacks multiple features that V1 had (any basic self-function test or LED, bluetooth controls..) that even the cheap sport tuner carries.

I will GLADLY send it back to you, TODAY, and cover the shipping costs out of pocket, since your company needs it.

If you need a case study for how awful your company's customer service has become, to use internally and understand WHY your customers are defecting, feel free to use my name. I went from DEFENDING your brand in another thread here, to being given the runaround for a month now, over a reimbursement due to your failing equipment.
Hey, do you have any warranty left? If you ditch the Dinan now and have any engine problems later, BMW will not cover it because you messed with the DME and Dinan will decline as you removed it.

This happened to me.......

I needed a new engine at 47k just after I had the Dinan stage 1 removed for failing the third time. It took 6 weeks of drama before Dinan stepped up.

Good luck!

Pat
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #39
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy1 View Post
Hey, do you have any warranty left? If you ditch the Dinan now and have any engine problems later, BMW will not cover it because you messed with the DME and Dinan will decline as you removed it.

This happened to me.......

I needed a new engine at 47k just after I had the Dinan stage 1 removed for failing the third time. It took 6 weeks of drama before Dinan stepped up.

Good luck!

Pat
the piggyback tuner messes with the DME? I was under the impression that the benefit of a piggyback tune is that it doesn’t do anything permanent to the DME
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #40
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
the piggyback tuner messes with the DME? I was under the impression that the benefit of a piggyback tune is that it doesn’t do anything permanent to the DME
If you had the Dinan installed at a BMW dealer like I did they can see the service history of it. Instant loss of factory warranty. I would either leave it on there, maybe in bypass or put it in the trunk to put back on should you have any issues. Trust me, if BMW knows you had it on there they will deny warranty immediately.

Dinan is unlikely to help you with warranty if you have it removed and get your money back.

The oil volume and pressure are controlled by the DME. Part of the algorithm controlling the oil volume and pressure is the amount of turbo boost.

Adding boost without adjusting the oil volume/pressure can lead to oil starvation and engine failure. The piggyback lies to the DME about the boost and does not adjust the oil volume and pressure.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #41
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you had the Dinan installed at a BMW dealer like I did they can see the service history of it. Instant loss of factory warranty. I would either leave it on there, maybe in bypass or put it in the trunk to put back on should you have any issues. Trust me, if BMW knows you had it on there they will deny warranty immediately.

Dinan is unlikely to help you with warranty if you have it removed and get your money back.

The oil volume and pressure are controlled by the DME. Part of the algorithm controlling the oil volume and pressure is the amount of turbo boost.

Adding boost without adjusting the oil volume/pressure can lead to oil starvation and engine failure. The piggyback lies to the DME about the boost and does not adjust the oil volume and pressure.

Pat
What was the cause of your engine failure? At 47k seems incredibly premature
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:17 AM   #42
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It was directly related to the Dinan stage 1. Lack of oil pressure/volume resulted in a collapsed lifter sending metal throughout the engine.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #43
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Running v1 or v2?

Could you share any of the bmw response on it?

It would really help to get some documentation from the ordeal Shared here, it’s not common to hear about engine failure from a piggyback
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #44
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It was directly related to the Dinan stage 1. Lack of oil pressure/volume resulted in a collapsed lifter sending metal throughout the engine.

Pat
When I was exploring custom tunes, I talked to Ron T at Noelle Performance (they also offer their warranty which overrides BMW warranty while nullifying it; ex-Alpina guys). Ron mentioned the very same thing about maintaining oil pressure/turbo regarding piggybacks, and in fact, if I remember correctly, he has a special dislike for piggybacks, even OTS tunes off BM3. Seems like with these cars the best bet is to go straight custom tune; sure it is more expensive but not-jeopardizing-engine expensive.

Anyway this is very good to know! I was tempted to try piggyback tuners, Dinan's especially.

Maybe the best bet is for those who are afraid of running into this issue is to get a tune like Noelle's which at least provides powertrain warranty, covering any of the pre-existing Dinan bullshit.

Also, Fasteddy1 , hello from MN! We might even be neighbors!
Appreciate 0