THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan could use some help

04-29-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Dinan could use some help

I really liked the Dinan intake, even though it's one of the highest priced options out there. I originally looked and it was backordered until May 11. I ended up checking back a couple weeks later and they moved the estimated date to April 29. I figured they were ahead of schedule, I can wait a couple of weeks. Today (April 29), the site magically pushed the estimated date back and entire month (May 29).

In fairness, I acknowledged they would charge me when ordering and the product was backordered. However, moving up the estimated date, only to wait until the actual date and kick it back an entire month seems a little shady to me. It's as if they wanted to give prospective buyers some hope so they could take their money. Then, at the last second they move the goal posts. Estimated is estimated..........but the timing and lack of communication still points to major opportunities within the Dinan ranks. They really could use some help with customer service and their processes. Let's hope they don't decide to move the estimated date to June 29 on May 29.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
I really liked the Dinan intake, even though it's one of the highest priced options out there. I originally looked and it was backordered until May 11. I ended up checking back a couple weeks later and they moved the estimated date to April 29. I figured they were ahead of schedule, I can wait a couple of weeks. Today (April 29), the site magically pushed the estimated date back and entire month (May 29).

In fairness, I acknowledged they would charge me when ordering and the product was backordered. However, moving up the estimated date, only to wait until the actual date and kick it back an entire month seems a little shady to me. It's as if they wanted to give prospective buyers some hope so they could take their money. Then, at the last second they move the goal posts. Estimated is estimated..........but the timing and lack of communication still points to major opportunities within the Dinan ranks. They really could use some help with customer service and their processes. Let's hope they don't decide to move the estimated date to June 29 on May 29.
Who did you buy it from? Dinan directly?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Might as well, nobody really discounts their stuff
      04-29-2020, 11:29 PM   #4
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yep, direct. Regardless of where you purchase, their stuff ships direct unless it's used.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 11:40 PM   #5
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:

Dinan has been a cluster of epic proportions. All I hear are problems about them. I have thinking of ordering their intake but, no.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I picked up an intake used and love the shit out of the thing. Looks awesome, adds some turbo noise. probably a little power?

Got for less than half price too.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
I picked up an intake used and love the shit out of the thing. Looks awesome, adds some turbo noise. probably a little power?

Got for less than half price too.
Having spent time with Steve Dinan on more than one occasion, I'm inclined to consider the numbers as being reasonably accurate. See the chart on this page for an indication of the power your car may have gained: https://www.dinancars.com/products/e...arts/D760-0046.

Note that the average CAI is about looks, noise, and...not a whole lot else. Mind you, hard data to the contrary is always appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #8
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

They still make quality products for sure. I'm just frustrated that their communication has fallen down completely and the date shifting game is not professional. I'm willing to assume responsibility that my card was being charged when placing the order; Many places do this when the product ships. But, to move the expected date up and wait until the date it's supposed to ship and push it back an entire month is a bit sketchy. At the very least, Dinan should be emailing those who have paid $600+ dollars to let them know about the change........a little bit in advance would be nice too. I realize they're now part of Holley or whatever big conglomerate is their parent company now. But if you're going to charge top dollar and hinge your reputation on your service and warranty, you need to execute a little better. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:21 PM   #9
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

You should read about my experience with the dinan tuner in the “stage 2 update” thread. The forum Dinan rep stopped responding for a reason
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Quote:
They still make quality products for sure. I'm just frustrated that their communication has fallen down completely and the date shifting game is not professional. I'm willing to assume responsibility that my card was being charged when placing the order; Many places do this when the product ships. But, to move the expected date up and wait until the date it's supposed to ship and push it back an entire month is a bit sketchy. At the very least, Dinan should be emailing those who have paid $600+ dollars to let them know about the change........a little bit in advance would be nice too. I realize they're now part of Holley or whatever big conglomerate is their parent company now. But if you're going to charge top dollar and hinge your reputation on your service and warranty, you need to execute a little better. Just my opinion.
If ordered through the web, the card is charged immediately as all those payments are processed/collected via Paypal. If ordered through the phone then you would get a pre-auth charge but the card wouldn't be actually run until the product ships. Just FYI.

In regards to the change date. The vendor for one of the couplers for that intake sent the wrong part hence the sudden change in ETA. Didnt realize it was wrong until it came in. The correct part is due in mid month. The system however automatically adds 2 weeks for "kitting" and the like into what it sees in the ERP system, hence the even longer date. You should see the intake a fair amount before that date if the vendor ETA for the correct part is accurate.

For communication and processes... they definitely could use some work. I couldn't agree with you more actually. Its a completely different dynamic then it was even 3 years ago. All I can say is what we CAN control internally we are doing our best with. Especially during these times with a reduced staff. However, some things are simply out of our hands-- specifically on the sales and ordering sides as that has been rolled up into a streamlined datacenter that serves all the brands. That's not to say we arent being a squeaky wheel to get some stuff changed for a better customer experience, because we are, but it's a process.
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #11
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
If ordered through the web, the card is charged immediately as all those payments are processed/collected via Paypal. If ordered through the phone then you would get a pre-auth charge but the card wouldn't be actually run until the product ships. Just FYI.

In regards to the change date. The vendor for one of the couplers for that intake sent the wrong part hence the sudden change in ETA. Didnt realize it was wrong until it came in. The correct part is due in mid month. The system however automatically adds 2 weeks for "kitting" and the like into what it sees in the ERP system, hence the even longer date. You should see the intake a fair amount before that date if the vendor ETA for the correct part is accurate.

For communication and processes... they definitely could use some work. I couldn't agree with you more actually. Its a completely different dynamic then it was even 3 years ago. All I can say is what we CAN control internally we are doing our best with. Especially during these times with a reduced staff. However, some things are simply out of our hands-- specifically on the sales and ordering sides as that has been rolled up into a streamlined datacenter that serves all the brands. That's not to say we arent being a squeaky wheel to get some stuff changed for a better customer experience, because we are, but it's a process.
I appreciate the response and am glad you're still monitoring the site. I would have never put the words Dinan and data center in the same sentence over the years. But, times change.

If nothing else, please stay active on here as much as you can. I think it helps smooth out the rocky road for Dinan and people appreciate the insight and follow-up.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Ummmmmm... Made in China?!?! No?
Lol...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the response and am glad you're still monitoring the site. I would have never put the words Dinan and data center in the same sentence over the years. But, times change.

If nothing else, please stay active on here as much as you can. I think it helps smooth out the rocky road for Dinan and people appreciate the insight and follow-up.
Data center may be an extreme way of saying it but the fact is the sales/ordering process is not handled internally. That's the point I was trying to convey at least. We still have sales people in the building manning the phones and answering questions and the like but once a purchase happens its essentially farmed out. The intercompany communication and processes are new and simply need to be altered to accomodate different business models that are unfamiliar (APR and Dinan are drastically different animals then the rest of the portfolio). Lots of positives in the changeover but also some glaring weaknesses as well.

I'm always monitoring the forums as best I can even if I am not responding. The last month or so has been difficult however to do much more then browse with less folks working but the same amount of work to do. The slack needs to be taken up somewhere. Priorities and all that. =)
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Ummmmmm... Made in China?!?! No?
Lol...
There are a few things sourced internationally (raw materials mainly) but as far as finished goods goes its mostly domestic (carbon being the main exception). It's hard to be completely domestic and be competitive. Thats just the world we live in.
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #15
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Having spent time with Steve Dinan on more than one occasion, I'm inclined to consider the numbers as being reasonably accurate. See the chart on this page for an indication of the power your car may have gained: https://www.dinancars.com/products/e...arts/D760-0046.

Note that the average CAI is about looks, noise, and...not a whole lot else. Mind you, hard data to the contrary is always appreciated.
Steve Dinan sold the company in 2015 though.
      05-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #16
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Data center may be an extreme way of saying it but the fact is the sales/ordering process is not handled internally. That's the point I was trying to convey at least. We still have sales people in the building manning the phones and answering questions and the like but once a purchase happens its essentially farmed out. The intercompany communication and processes are new and simply need to be altered to accomodate different business models that are unfamiliar (APR and Dinan are drastically different animals then the rest of the portfolio). Lots of positives in the changeover but also some glaring weaknesses as well.

I'm always monitoring the forums as best I can even if I am not responding. The last month or so has been difficult however to do much more then browse with less folks working but the same amount of work to do. The slack needs to be taken up somewhere. Priorities and all that. =)
for customer service argument sake..I would say that the forums can be pretty close in priority to people calling in.

I happen to be one of them..who went from praising your brand in the stage 2 thread..to basically documenting what has been a customer service nightmare.

Im at a month now, waiting for a reimbursement check on a diagnosis and install for a dinan stage 1 v2 tuner.

the customer service process (including the numerous issues along the way) has really disappointed me and questioned buying any more products.

Along with the $1400 tuner, my car has the $1500+ dinan exhaust, and going off memory here, the mirror caps and pedal covers..so you could say I have been "brand loyal" at minimum.

Nobody can fault your team for the decisions behind sourcing of parts, materials, and manufacturing that has to be made to be competitive..but dropping the ball on customer service is 100% controllable internally and something that customers like myself wont forget.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 04:04 PM   #17
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
for customer service argument sake..I would say that the forums can be pretty close in priority to people calling in.

I happen to be one of them..who went from praising your brand in the stage 2 thread..to basically documenting what has been a customer service nightmare.

Im at a month now, waiting for a reimbursement check on a diagnosis and install for a dinan stage 1 v2 tuner.

the customer service process (including the numerous issues along the way) has really disappointed me and questioned buying any more products.

Along with the $1400 tuner, my car has the $1500+ dinan exhaust, and going off memory here, the mirror caps and pedal covers..so you could say I have been "brand loyal" at minimum.

Nobody can fault your team for the decisions behind sourcing of parts, materials, and manufacturing that has to be made to be competitive..but dropping the ball on customer service is 100% controllable internally and something that customers like myself wont forget.
As stated before, I fully agree with you that there is much to be desired with the customer service process as it stands today. That is not being argued in the slightest. I try to be as open as I possibly can be and as you go through my history of posts I think that is quite evident. What I am saying is there are aspects of the process (I will not go into specifics) as it relates to ordering, warranty, and tech specifically that the internal Dinan team does not currently have direct control of. This can, and does, cause some heartburn on occassion as delays can occur as a result. The end consumer does not, and frankly should not, care about these things but I am stating this simply to be transparent and offer some perspective.

Coupled with the last month+ where we have been operating with a minimum staff there are going to be some delays in all aspects of the business. I can only stress that those in the building are doing everything we possibly can to have the business run as smoothly as possible in the interrim. Good news is the staff will be full strength again next week so wait times and what not should be reduced a fair amount. Shipping and the like still has its pitfalls as vendors/supply chain are way behind from plant closures but thats the case everywhere and uncontrollable at present.

As for your claim specifically -- Per tech-- the paperwork aspect cleared all the channels for corporate last Tuesday (4/28). Typically checks are sent out once a week on Thursday from accounting (in TN). I would have thought the check would have hit you by now but then again mail has been delayed around here so not sure if that may be the case everywhere or its something else entirely. I can ping accounting (in TN) but chances are they will not get to it before closing so if you do not see anything by early next week I would follow-up with your tech contact to get some tracking on when it was actually sent.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #18
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

I appreciate the response. That goes a long way compared to the periods of silence I’ve mostly gotten so far.

I’ll wait until Monday before following up again if I don’t see anything.

Is it safe to assume that the b58 flash tune is now going to be delayed in whatever timeline it originally was on, due to covid?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #19
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the response. That goes a long way compared to the periods of silence I’ve mostly gotten so far.

I’ll wait until Monday before following up again if I don’t see anything.

Is it safe to assume that the b58 flash tune is now going to be delayed in whatever timeline it originally was on, due to covid?
B58 flash timeline has been unaffected by COVID as that's entirely in house— at least for the outset launch. Delays there are more as the result of shifting priorities over the last 2 years (piggyback to flash, physically moving, software/calibration department transitions, etc) and more importantly— limitations with actual flash delivery to the dealer/consumer as our backend system has been totally revamped.

That said the F chassis B58 stuff isn't that far off as we are entering the self governing emissions testing phase (Memo 1A). The initial launch will not be sexy due to the aforementioned delivery limitations but at least it will be out there as we finish off the part of development that actually has been affected by manufacturing and COVID. Hopefully that goes quickly and a better delivery protocol is available as a result but only time will tell how fast that transition will actually happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #20
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Quote:
Quote:

You guys at least have this forum to complain about. My wife and I had our priceline trip canceled for us. Paid 6.5k for the 2 tickets and now neither priceline or the airline would refund our money even though they say they would. We have nowhere to complain about it. Life sucks people lie. It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #21
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
You guys at least have this forum to complain about. My wife and I had our priceline trip canceled for us. Paid 6.5k for the 2 tickets and now neither priceline or the airline would refund our money even though they say they would. We have nowhere to complain about it. Life sucks people lie. It is what it is.
how did you pay for it? most premium travel credit cards will offer trip protection.

in the alternative, you could dispute the charge if it was recent.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #22
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
how did you pay for it? most premium travel credit cards will offer trip protection.

in the alternative, you could dispute the charge if it was recent.
Excellent point. Let me try that.
Appreciate 0