THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Parking brake failure

02-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
DJRobNM
Rep
Drives: 2015 228xi Conv

Parking brake failure

So my parking brake froze up (probably due to the recent cold weather) and now after waiting two weeks for an appointment BMW is saying it is a non-warranty item and will cost $1500 to replace.

Anyone have any ideas? I always make sure the brake is disengaged because I use it every time I park.

2019 m240ix Convertible / Grey / Coral Red / Premium / HK
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Is the the entire drum mechanism in the rotor hub that needs to be replaced ?
Both sides ?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
DJRobNM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Is the the entire drum mechanism in the rotor hub that needs to be replaced ?
Both sides ?
They said both rear rotors are broken so drums, rotors, and pads.

They said the system is fully mechanical so there is no codes to prove the brake was disengaged (there is a dash light and "parking brake engaged" warning but no code?)

How long would the brake have to be engaged to crack rotors? Crazy!

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRobNM View Post
They said both rear rotors are broken so drums, rotors, and pads.

They said the system is fully mechanical so there is no codes to prove the brake was disengaged (there is a dash light and "parking brake engaged" warning but no code?)

How long would the brake have to be engaged to crack rotors? Crazy!
Had u had any odors ? Or did u notice your gas mileage average plummet?

Actually the pricing seems what I would expect for that kind of job.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #5
DJRobNM
Rep

I'm just trying to figure out how this could happen with the parking brake handle all the way down and hopefully prevent it from happening again.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Not that I think this is the cause, I believe I read in the f22 manual that occasionally at low speed in a safe place you should slow the car down using the emergency brake in order to sand off corrosion on the emergency brake friction surfaces.

Emergency brakes sticking, not sure if enough slack in the cable to have the handle down and still keep friction surfaces stuck. but emergency brakes sticking due to corrosion I think can be an issue

Last edited by overcoil; 02-08-2020 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #7
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Mechanical PB adjuster fail is a common thing. It's not a normal "wear" item and has nothing to do with rotor/drum/pads... It's usually the cable, just saying.

I would disagree with the dealer as the "lock" and inability to disengage the brake is the issue. If the brake was engaged and it wasn't braking the wheels from moving, then it might be rotor/drum/pads or a simple readjustment of the cable.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Mechanical PB adjuster fail is a common thing. It's not a normal "wear" item and has nothing to do with rotor/drum/pads... It's usually the cable, just saying.

I would disagree with the dealer as the "lock" and inability to disengage the brake is the issue. If the brake was engaged and it wasn't braking the wheels from moving, then it might be rotor/drum/pads or a simple readjustment of the cable.

Good Luck
the poster said the dealer said the rotors were broken...like to have those rotors back to inspect.

I've heard of people with automatic transmissions who never use their parking brake have the cable failure due to the adjuster being dormant over a long period ?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:54 AM   #9
mechatony11
Rep
Drives: toyota

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my vehicle recently; it turns out that I had a software issue that causes the yellow PARK light illuminates. So, I go to the nearest dealer in my place to update the software. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came across an in-depth article that may be worth reading. Search for "BMW Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes. You can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 03:47 PM   #10
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcoil View Post
the poster said the dealer said the rotors were broken...like to have those rotors back to inspect.

I've heard of people with automatic transmissions who never use their parking brake have the cable failure due to the adjuster being dormant over a long period ?
I've seen it happen with people using a parking brake that has not been used for a long time engaging it and having it stick due to corrosion/lack of lubrication.

My previous BMWs were all manuals, this is my first AT, and I still use the parking brake when I park, both out of habit and the assumption that if I keep using it it should remain functional. Now I'm not sure if I should be doing that or if I should break myself of that habit.....
Appreciate 0