THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Adjustable front camber bushings KMAC

05-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #67
drives like jehu
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Installed K-MAC front camber bushings in M235i

Installed the K-Mac bushings this weekend. I'd give the whole thing a B. The website is kind of awkward, I had to follow the discussion here to get the right part number. They were easy to deal with though, shipped fast; from Australia.
As to the install.
They left out the pusher part of the stock bushing removal tool. So the drive nut bore only on the inner metal part of the bushing. It drove out the bushing as advertised though. If I return to stock, I'll plan on new bushings.
The system uses serrated washers and tooth features to prevent the bushing rotating away from the desired eccentricity. It was a pain to keep these aligned and concentric until all tightened down. Lastly, the larger washers contacted the lower area inside the bushing mounting flanges/ears? I had to clearance these with a Dremel tool. Not a big deal, just not expected.

The pic shows the driver side from the rear. The washer and hub extending past the flange was a little disconcerting, but I got over it.

I ended up with -1.6 and -1.7, which is the range I was after. I didn't want to go to -2.0 or more for concern about related components, other geometry changes.
No miles on it yet, but it seems solid. Met my expectations after a little tweaking. Maybe too much detail, but I like this kind of info when I'm looking at a modification.
DLJ
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Maynard3830.00
TajoMan174.00
      05-23-2019, 11:02 PM   #68
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Excellent info. Would love to hear about how they feel after you've put some miles on them. Did you notice if they changed your caster and pushed the wheels forward like the M3/M4 LCAs do?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #69
drives like jehu
United_States
Rep

I didn't compare was-v-is on the caster specs, but they were within the factory green on the alignment system.
I'm doing a track day in a couple of weeks. Hoping this helps the front tire shoulder life a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #70
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drives like jehu View Post
I didn't compare was-v-is on the caster specs, but they were within the factory green on the alignment system.
I'm doing a track day in a couple of weeks. Hoping this helps the front tire shoulder life a bit.
Any reason you went this route instead of M3 LCA's ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #71
drives like jehu
United_States
Rep

I liked the idea of the adjustability and buying less parts. Honestly, I didn't research it thoroughly; I was concerned about shims, connection to suspension sensor and final camber. I just didn't have the feeling someone had a fully baked package of all parts, installation and results. Might be out there, just didn't find it quickly. And this seemed easy to do.
If I decide I need more camber, it might be the way to go. It sounds (pun warning) like there are too many NVH issues with camber plates. I don't want full boy-racer, just better for a few track days per year.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 12:09 AM   #72
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
Excellent info. Would love to hear about how they feel after you've put some miles on them. Did you notice if they changed your caster and pushed the wheels forward like the M3/M4 LCAs do?
They do increase caster. When I maxed them out on my F3x it pushed my caster to 8.5 and 8deg. I installed the KMac caster bushings to set both sides at 8deg (8.5deg rubbed at full lock).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
Sypher82.50
      05-27-2019, 10:44 PM   #73
ghost.M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM M235i 6MT

I've had the KMAC front and rear camber bushings on my car since February and am very happy with the results. That said, I'd echo DLJ's feedback on the install; my shop had a tough time getting the camber set. They are a race shop and only do string alignments so I don't have a printout of my settings but they were able to get -2/-2.6 F/R. The bushings do seem to increase front castor. I'm running more camber out back to help tuck my summer wheel/tire combo and keep the rear stable during high speed transitions. I got the KMAC rear bushings so I could keep toe at 0 and run more camber. These are super worth it, and I'd recommend them to anyone who wants similar alignment specs.

With my alignment specs the front end feels much more engaged than with oem alignment. It isn't darty on the freeway but the car turns in smoother and holds a line much better. I haven't had the chance to track it this season, but on the freeway interchanges in my commute and the few mountain runs I've taken they make a noticeable difference. They are worth it if you want to improve the front end feel of your DD/weekend warrior and don't plan to run more than a 235/40 up front. I had AFE F80 lowering springs and F30 sway bars installed at the same time as the the KMAC bushings were installed so I focused my feedback here purely on how the front end feels as a result of the KMACs. The picture doesn't do the front justice but you can see how tucked the rears are with 225/40 sq winter tires on oem wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #74
Pairadime
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I just ordered M3/M4 LCA's for the front which will hopefully give me 1 more degree of negative camber.
Has anyone installed these bushings into M3/M4 LCA's? or is that just too much for the rest of the components to handle?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:11 AM   #75
lefthander
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost.M View Post
I've had the KMAC front and rear camber bushings on my car since February and am very happy with the results. That said, I'd echo DLJ's feedback on the install; my shop had a tough time getting the camber set. They are a race shop and only do string alignments so I don't have a printout of my settings but they were able to get -2/-2.6 F/R. The bushings do seem to increase front castor. I'm running more camber out back to help tuck my summer wheel/tire combo and keep the rear stable during high speed transitions. I got the KMAC rear bushings so I could keep toe at 0 and run more camber. These are super worth it, and I'd recommend them to anyone who wants similar alignment specs.

With my alignment specs the front end feels much more engaged than with oem alignment. It isn't darty on the freeway but the car turns in smoother and holds a line much better. I haven't had the chance to track it this season, but on the freeway interchanges in my commute and the few mountain runs I've taken they make a noticeable difference. They are worth it if you want to improve the front end feel of your DD/weekend warrior and don't plan to run more than a 235/40 up front. I had AFE F80 lowering springs and F30 sway bars installed at the same time as the the KMAC bushings were installed so I focused my feedback here purely on how the front end feels as a result of the KMACs. The picture doesn't do the front justice but you can see how tucked the rears are with 225/40 sq winter tires on oem wheels.
any increase in NVH?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 11:19 PM   #76
ghost.M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost.M View Post

any increase in NVH?
Hard hits to the suspension are more pronounced, but you cannot tell a difference in NVH otherwise. There are no random clicks etc. as is the case with most of the adjustable camber plate options available for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #77
Gepeto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Those that got this working, you ordered 193616-8H ?

Just asking because the KMAC website is really confusing me.
Then it seems the ECS site says 193616-8H works on F23... but not F22 (I have a coupe RWD M235i).

But from this thread it seems that is the right part number, I am just unclear as to wether anyone installed them on a RWD M235i or only X-Drive.

Even if the install is a bit painful this could finally be my solution for more camber without too many downsides on the road...

Thanks!

Last edited by Gepeto; 07-03-2019 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #78
drives like jehu
United_States
Rep

Thats the part number for M235i

I don't know if the x is different.
The K-Mac website is wack I don't think I saw where it said "F22"
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:11 AM   #79
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Check RealOEM RWD and xDrive bushing PNs. If they're the same then you use the same KMAC bushing too. On the F3x platform that bushing is the same RWD and AWD. I suspect it's the same for your platform too.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #80
Gepeto
Private
Canada
Rep

K-Mac says it should fit. Time to order and play the waiting game!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #81
Gepeto
Private
Canada
Rep

Ordered, now waiting for them to show up in Canada. They'll have quite a bit of mileage even brand new! Will report once installed... currently way too excited over a change of maybe 0.8 to 1 degree in negative camber, but that's the F22 life!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #82
drives like jehu
United_States
Rep

I can report that after 2 track days without and 2 with the Front KMAC bushings, I'm happy with the improved tire wear. The fronts seem to be wearing reasonably evenly.
Not a great pic but lol at all the crap that gets picked up
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #83
Gepeto
Private
Canada
Rep

Can't wait to get mine, unfortunately ordering from their site has been a trainwreck, their site kept charging me in the wrong currency and I am still waiting on Paypal processing the reimbursement. Highly recommend that people in the US buy from a place like ECS Tuning instead of direct.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #84
Xwang
Rep
Drives: BMW F22 218i

Hi, I would like to know if these kmac camber bushes (193616-8H)
1) continue to work properly
2) need to be installed alongside the 193616-5J caster one to keep the wheel centred in the fender
3) are made of rubber or polyurethane
4) are internally made as spherical joints or cylindrical*

*PS I ask if they are spherical because I've read that superpro bushes are not produced any more because they do not permit the small arm movement given by the fact that our cars (F20, F21, F22) have a virtual steering axis which when steered behaves like an articulated parallelogram when viewed from above and so the polyurethane bushes suffers and get loose.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 03:54 AM   #85
Xwang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwang View Post
2) need to be installed alongside the 193616-5J caster one to keep the wheel centred in the fender

*PS I ask if they are spherical because I've read that superpro bushes are not produced any more because they do not permit the small arm movement given by the fact that our cars (F20, F21, F22) have a virtual steering axis which when steered behaves like an articulated parallelogram when viewed from above and so the polyurethane bushes suffers and get loose.
Moreover, I've seen on the net that the same 193616-8H code is used for bushes with the external part made of metal and of rubber/polyurethane? Did kmac change the design, but not the code?
(for reference https://www.vividracing.com/kmac-fro...152459126.html vs https://www.ecstuning.com/b-kmac-par...193616-8h~kma/)

Last edited by Xwang; 08-18-2019 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:01 AM   #86
Xwang
Rep

Quote:
Moreover, I've seen on the net that the same 193616-8H code is used for bushes with the external part made of metal and of rubber/polyurethane? Did kmac change the design, but not the code?
(for reference https://www.vividracing.com/kmac-fro...152459126.html vs https://www.ecstuning.com/b-kmac-par...193616-8h~kma/)
They have answered my email said that the correct pic is ecs one an that vividracing pic shows earlier E81 to 89 kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #87
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

1) Still works great for me. Beware though that xDrive cars that are lowered too much (beyond 1") could be at risk of popping axles.

2) Don't need to install the caster bushing in conjunction with it. Your caster will increase as you increase negative camber.

3) The caps/sleeve are polyurethane.

4) The main bushing is cylindrical. These shouldn't have the same failure mode as the SuperPro bushings. I actually inspected a failed SuperPro bushing this weekend. The flange that's supposed to prevent forward/rearward deflection/travel on the SuperPro bushing weakened and allowed the arm to rock laterally, vs only pivoting around the main cylinder. KMAC's design shouldn't fail this way for two reasons. The first is the metal inner bushing/cylinder is much larger. Since it's rigid, it allows less deflection (the metal inner cylinder in SuperPro's bushing is tiny). Secondly, KMAC uses metal end washer/caps that encapsulate the PU sleeves, so the PU is supported by metal and not supporting the lateral load all on its own.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #88
Xwang
Rep

Thank you!
How many time and how many kilometers/miles have you made with kmac bushes?
Appreciate 0