THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes meyle tension strut bushing

05-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
Michael Avedis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228 thp manual

meyle tension strut bushing

I see that Bimmerworld has an almost solid rubber Meyle HD front tension strut bushing - $36.00 each.

Does any one have any experience with these?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Avedis View Post
I see that Bimmerworld has an almost solid rubber Meyle HD front tension strut bushing - $36.00 each.

Does any one have any experience with these?
Meyle Hd bushings are a great happy medium between stock and monoballs
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
Considering not changing LCA or TS right now...would this help much with stock ? Worth just changing these out ?

thx
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #4
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Quote:
Considering not changing LCA or TS right now...would this help much with stock ? Worth just changing these out ?

thx
I just picked up a set of turner monoballs to replace my worn out oem bushings at 70k.

If I were going to replace them, I would upgrade to monoballs. It's a huge improvement in steering feel.
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      05-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #5
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I just picked up a set of turner monoballs to replace my worn out oem bushings at 70k.

If I were going to replace them, I would upgrade to monoballs. It's a huge improvement in steering feel.
These ? https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...oball-upgrade/

Looking for a bit more feel in steeering, guessing those alone with only be a bit harsher feel in wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

These ? https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...oball-upgrade/

Looking for a bit more feel in steeering, guessing those alone with only be a bit harsher feel in wheel
Yes those are them. I've been told they result in a very small amount of nvh, but the steering feel is greatly improved.
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Stupid question, looking and shows "strut" front end, and not multi link (like 3/5 series yes) does 235/240 have wishbone like old M3 ? Is there this only point, or should you tighten up both ?

Yea I need to get to buddies garage and get up and understand more lol
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Stupid question, looking and shows "strut" front end, and not multi link (like 3/5 series yes) does 235/240 have wishbone like old M3 ? Is there this only point, or should you tighten up both ?

Yea I need to get to buddies garage and get up and understand more lol
No wishbone on 2/3/4 series. MacPherson strut type with 2 lower control arms and a tie rod for steering. The frontmost control arm is called the tension strut/TS and the rearmost control arm is called the lower control arm/LCA
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
No wishbone on 2/3/4 series. MacPherson strut type with 2 lower control arms and a tie rod for steering. The frontmost control arm is called the tension strut/TS and the rearmost control arm is called the lower control arm/LCA
Thanks was just looking at script for, so this is (above) for the TS upper arm. (or way cheaper to do at once)

Do you replace the LCA one also ? Rather not replace LCA/TS now, or separately.

Don't need much more feel to steering, a bit more would be good
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #10
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
The frontmost control arm is called the tension strut/TS and the rearmost control arm is called the lower control arm/LCA
Believe it or not, BMW actually refers to the LCA on F2x/F3x as the "wishbone."

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #11
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks was just looking at script for, so this is (above) for the TS upper arm. (or way cheaper to do at once)

Do you replace the LCA one also ? Rather not replace LCA/TS now, or separately.

Don't need much more feel to steering, a bit more would be good
I'm a bit confused on what your trying to say. So most of the steering feel is lost to the TS front bushing. Its a large hydro-oil filled type that does a great job of robbing road feel. I personally replaced the TS and LCA bushings with Powerflex adjustables (street durometer) and got a significant amount of road feel back into the wheel. I put these bushings in the stock arms, as they are adjustable for caster and camber, and did not go for the m3 LCA/TS fixed arms. I have 19x8.5 et42 235/35 in the front and read others reporting rubbing with the m3 arms with this combo so I wanted adjustability. Powerflex makes non adjustable drop in bushings for the TS arm in street and race durometer, it sound like from what your saying you might want to just do the street fixed bushings from them. Better road feel, minimal fuss, you don't even need any tools to install them because of the split design. Just a press to remove the old bushings
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm a bit confused on what your trying to say. So most of the steering feel is lost to the TS front bushing. Its a large hydro-oil filled type that does a great job of robbing road feel. I personally replaced the TS and LCA bushings with Powerflex adjustables (street durometer) and got a significant amount of road feel back into the wheel. I put these bushings in the stock arms, as they are adjustable for caster and camber, and did not go for the m3 LCA/TS fixed arms. I have 19x8.5 et42 235/35 in the front and read others reporting rubbing with the m3 arms with this combo so I wanted adjustability. Powerflex makes non adjustable drop in bushings for the TS arm in street and race durometer, it sound like from what your saying you might want to just do the street fixed bushings from them. Better road feel, minimal fuss, you don't even need any tools to install them because of the split design. Just a press to remove the old bushings
Perfect, thats what I was asking. Replace both, leave TS/LCA stock. Friend helping me with Diff/tran/Oil change...easy to do ? I'll look up Powerflex. I'll look for videos. He's more mechanically inclined....

Cheers

(yea and thats where I was confused on the "wishbone" statement" lol)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perfect, thats what I was asking. Replace both, leave TS/LCA stock. Friend helping me with Diff/tran/Oil change...easy to do ? I'll look up Powerflex. I'll look for videos. He's more mechanically inclined....

Cheers

(yea and thats where I was confused on the "wishbone" statement" lol)
Ah gotcha. Diff and trans are easy to do but make sure you guys follow the 8hp fluid change procedure exactly (if you have 8at). I did my filter pan once and the fluid twice, only thing to note that's not talked about often is to get the trans up to 170 degrees on a road test after the initial fill, then let cool down and re-level the fluid. It has a ATF cooler thermostat that opens at 170F to let fluid through the cooler and that will cause the level to drop. Also the diff will require a vacuum fluid sucker or hand pump to get fluid out, it only has a fill plug and no drain.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #14
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ah gotcha. Diff and trans are easy to do but make sure you guys follow the 8hp fluid change procedure exactly (if you have 8at). I did my filter pan once and the fluid twice, only thing to note that's not talked about often is to get the trans up to 170 degrees on a road test after the initial fill, then let cool down and re-level the fluid. It has a ATF cooler thermostat that opens at 170F to let fluid through the cooler and that will cause the level to drop. Also the diff will require a vacuum fluid sucker or hand pump to get fluid out, it only has a fill plug and no drain.
He has had a bunch of BMW's and has a 16' M4, has hand pump for rear. etc. We both have MT. Rolling all Redline

Thx for info.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #15
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

Ok these look like where I'd like to be. Non adjustable but upgrade to current OEM. I saw a scale where street ones were upper end of OEM for difference and track was obviously harder/more NVH.

I sent them a question, but anyone here use the Track version of these ? Also should I change lower arm at same time ?

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/pr...-bushings-2377

or would the Meyle HD tighten up enough ?

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Front-Th...26855743.html#

Probably call BimmerWorld, just dont have a local BMW speed shop to go to.

Thx

($123/Powerflex seems steep for one bushing, doesnt appear thats a set for both sides)

Last edited by 4Hockey4; 06-03-2020 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #16
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

While I haven't used the solid rubber Meyle HD front tension strut bushing, I've found that Meyle quality, even the HD line, has deteriorated over the past 5 or so years, and avoid their parts now.
Bimmerworld knows their stuff, so hopefully can steer you in the right direction re: quality replacement parts.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #17
Gepeto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Just to be clear - is what Turner calls a front thrust arm a tension strut? The bushings on my tension struts are slowly dying and I need to deal with them soon...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #18
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

All the sites linked in the thread here states the thrust arm/tension strut bushings are for REAR wheel drive only. Do they not work in the M235i X-DRIVE? ? Also tried searching for X-drive and didn't see any listed for fitment...
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #19
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

pretty sure upper thrust arm and tension are the same yes. Put your info in top of Powerflex site, has all the bushings for AWD

Emailed with Powerflex and they no longer have a "75" (closer to stock) and a 95 (street/track) weighted bushings. They are now the same, until you move to adjustable, all black and 95, even though website has both as option...he says they'll fix. (so pick race or street and will get the same)

That is for a set, both front.

Anyone have issues with squeaking from Polyurethane bushings ?

Should I switch out Lower control arm bushings at same time, or not as important ?

Last edited by 4Hockey4; 06-05-2020 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      06-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #20
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

bump:

Anyone have issues with squeaking from Polyurethane bushings ?

Should I switch out Lower control arm bushings at same time, or not as important ?
(just looking for a bit more tightness and feel in front end, not doing LCA now)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #21
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have had NO squeaking out of the street duro bushings, installed 3 months ago. I loaded them up with the supplied poly grease though

I did both Powerflex LCA and TS arm adjustable bushings at the same time. With dinan springs they brought camber to -1.8 or so, I believe I could have gone to -2 max. Before the bushings, with dinan springs, camber was -1.1 on both sides.

I actually dialed the Powerflex back down to -1.2 per side, so I wish I didn't get the adjustables. The reason being is they have a lifetime warranty, and once they're installed it's super easy to take them in and out of the arm without any special tools. If you get the adjustables and need to replace under warranty, you'll have to do a full alignment every time which for these involves dropping ALL the undershields and front corner shields to access the adjusters. Just my thoughts having gone through all of this, -1.1 with mild drop springs is more than enough camber for street and actually strikes me as the perfect amount for tire wear. I did not consider doing only the front bushing, so it's up to you to make that call
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #22
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep

I'm not getting the adjustable, and will probably order the front upper

Does anyone think there is a need to replace LCA bushing also ? Will that help with feel ? Seems the upper front def. do, anyone have thoughts on LCA bushings replacement ?

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/pr...-bushings-2373
Appreciate 0