THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Can't get into reverse!

04-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
HopefulAbandon
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Can't get into reverse!

Hey guys,

As the title says, I can't seem to get my 2017 230i back into reverse just recently . Whenever I try to back up in reverse, it back ups just a couple inches before stopping, and after it does that, it's as if the transmission is in neutral. Moving forward seems to be fine, but I'm not really sure if it works fully, since I'm parked out back in a driveway where I can only back up to get out.

This is the first time it's ever happened. Five days before this I had VMR wheels put on and I took them off yesterday afternoon to replace the center caps. I only noticed the issue after putting the car down from the jacks and trying to pull out in reverse. The issue doesn't seem to put out any warning indicators.

Any clue what might be going on? I've read something about how low transmission fluid might be the source of the issue. The car is at 30100 miles and it still has the factory warranty. Any input would be great!

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

With new wheels incorrect lug bolt length could ping against the emergency brake?

You didn’t install new bolts when u changed the center cap ?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
HopefulAbandon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
With new wheels incorrect lug bolt length could ping against the emergency brake?

You didn’t install new bolts when u changed the center cap ?
That might be it, I actually did replace some bolts that were almost stripped when I replaced the caps and they could be slightly longer. I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow morning. I'll keep you updated with what I find.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
HopefulAbandon
Rep

It was the lugs after all, they were slightly longer than the ones that were replaced!
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50