THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Replace rain sensor with windshield?

07-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Replace rain sensor with windshield?

I need a new windshield, and the BMW service rep at the local dealer says I need to replace the rain sensor at the same time. Cost will be almost $500 extra. I don't remember this being mentioned on the various windshield threads, so I suspect it's not necessary. Have people had problems if they replaced the windshield without replacing the rain sensor?
      07-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
I need a new windshield, and the BMW service rep at the local dealer says I need to replace the rain sensor at the same time. Cost will be almost $500 extra. I don't remember this being mentioned on the various windshield threads, so I suspect it's not necessary. Have people had problems if they replaced the windshield without replacing the rain sensor?
From my understanding and my previous 2 times getting new windshields, the rain sensor affixed to the windshield as part of the rear view mirror unit needs to be destroyed as it's removed for replacement. It doesn't appear that it's something that's transferable. I've just relied on my glass policy within my auto insurance policy for replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
VasWander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i 6MT Perf Edition

Now I'm worried. I had windshield replaced along with front splitter a few weeks ago at dealers bodyshop. They had a third party do the windshield and charged me $500.00. It looks like crap compared to the original & there hasn't been any rain to check sensor and I know it wasn't replaced. Will advise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
vh2720
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230xi

I had to do an emergency windshield replacement. They put in an aftermarket windshield and did not replace the sensor. I have had no problems, the sensor is working fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Thanks for the replies.

I've now talked to a different service advisor and two independent shops that were recommended to me. All confirmed that the OEM windshields do not come with the rain sensor attached. The second advisor said that the sensor often can be transferred to the new windshield. If it doesn't work, a new one can be installed at that point. Considering that the sensor alone costs almost as much as an aftermarket windshield, that seems like a good approach.

However, both independent shops said that aftermarket windshields normally come with the rain sensor attached and included in the price. That's what I've decided to do as it will be slightly more than half the cost of OEM installed by the dealer and the sensor is guaranteed to work.

Last edited by albertw; 07-19-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:03 AM   #6
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I've now talked to a different service advisor and two independent shops that were recommended to me. All confirmed that the OEM windshields do not come with the rain sensor attached. The second advisor said that the sensor often can transferred to the new windshield. If it doesn't work, a new one can be installed at that point. Considering that the sensor alone costs almost as much as an aftermarket windshield, that seems like a good approach.

However, both independent shops said that aftermarket windshields normally come with the rain sensor attached and included in the price. That's what I've decided to do as it will be slightly more than half the cost of OEM installed by the dealer and the sensor is guaranteed to work.
If you use an aftermarket windshield manufactured by PGW, Sekurit, Sisecam or St Gobain, it should be as good as the BMW one, just without the roundel, as BMW uses all of them as suppliers, based on the factory original windshields I’ve had on BMWs.

Last edited by aerobod; 07-19-2019 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:23 AM   #7
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

They probably broke the sensor when they removed the windscreen and is now is trying to pass the buck to you.

I suggest you print out of the BMW TIS instructions and show them that the manufacture states the sensor could be reused, for a windshield R&R.

They'll probably back down, at that point.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...indow/HiHSU6zx

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...dow/1VnY06t6cw
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      07-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
They probably broke the sensor when they removed the windscreen and is now is trying to pass the buck to you.

I suggest you print out of the BMW TIS instructions and show them that the manufacture states the sensor could be reused, for a windshield R&R.

Well, that's what BMW themselves told me, and they did the work. Interesting to that that repair bulletin. Regardless of how much it cost overall, it still only cost me my deductible. Both times.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Well, that's what BMW themselves told me, and they did the work. Interesting to that that repair bulletin. Regardless of how much it cost overall, it still only cost me my deductible. Both times.
Oh, your insurance was paying; they where just padding the bill.

I don't mine, I would let them do their thing; a claim for a $1 or $10,000 counts all the same anyways, so whatever.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i M-Sport

My windshield was replaced by Safelite. OEM window from BMW and rain sensor was reused. No issues 2 years later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0