THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Aftermarket DP + Mid-pipe with stock exhaust

06-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive MP Edition

Aftermarket DP + Mid-pipe with stock exhaust

Is anyone using an aftermarket dp + mp with the stock exhaust?

I'm leaning towards this route since my m240i is an M Performance edition and I would like to keep my MPE carbon tips (not sure which aftermarket axle back can use the MPE carbon tips). Thinking of getting a catless dp + resonated midpipe (would non resonated make the car drone?).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
EM240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 LCI; 17 M240ix; '19 Taco

I have an MPE with carbon tips and dinan midpipe. Quite a few people on here have this set up and most everyone including myself love it. Dinan midpipe does require a clamp to fit the MPE but i understand it’s not a big undertaking at all.

Is there a reason why you’re considering a different axelback instead of just trying an aftermarket midpipe like Dinan first? You can always add more sound later with a DP (I think Scadam has a DP too) if you want more sound. It just seems wasteful to me to get a different axle back without switching midpipes, especially because the Dinan isn’t resonated and I am pretty sure the stock has dual resonators so the difference is quite significant with that alone
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM240 View Post
I have an MPE with carbon tips and dinan midpipe. Quite a few people on here have this set up and most everyone including myself love it. Dinan midpipe does require a clamp to fit the MPE but i understand it’s not a big undertaking at all.

Is there a reason why you’re considering a different axelback instead of just trying an aftermarket midpipe like Dinan first? You can always add more sound later with a DP (I think Scadam has a DP too) if you want more sound. It just seems wasteful to me to get a different axle back without switching midpipes, especially because the Dinan isn’t resonated and I am pretty sure the stock has dual resonators so the difference is quite significant with that alone
Hey man thanks for the reply but I think you're confused. I want to keep the stock axle back and get an aftermarket downpipe and aftermarket mid-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid67 View Post
Hey man thanks for the reply but I think you're confused. I want to keep the stock axle back and get an aftermarket downpipe and aftermarket mid-pipe.

Do not get a resonated midpipe it will defeat the purpose of changing the mid-pipe. Go with the dinan mid-pipe and your choice of dp but i would get a high flow catted dp. I have the akrapovic dp, dinan mid-pipe with mpe and carbon tips. No drone and im very pleased with the sound, less annoying to the neighbors in comfort but LOUD pops and bangs in sport+. Perfect setup.
2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe 8 Spd Auto

I have a dinan midpipe, catless vrsf downpipe, and agency power intake all sitting in my room (got delivered yesterday), just waiting to install next week. So I am actually going to run what you are looking for—catless dp and non-resonated midpipe on a stock 2019 m240i muffler. (note that i will also be on a bm3 stage 2 flash so that might also influence the sound)

Once I install those, i’ll post a sound clip so you can hear how it sounds. Expect sometime later next week
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Perfect!

I've got my Dinan midpipe, AP intake installed.

Just curious about the downpipe.............
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #7
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashad13 View Post
I have a dinan midpipe, catless vrsf downpipe, and agency power intake all sitting in my room (got delivered yesterday), just waiting to install next week. So I am actually going to run what you are looking for—catless dp and non-resonated midpipe on a stock 2019 m240i muffler. (note that i will also be on a bm3 stage 2 flash so that might also influence the sound)

Once I install those, i’ll post a sound clip so you can hear how it sounds. Expect sometime later next week
Looking forward to your video!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 6MT

Pashad that is exactly what I was looking to run, looking forward to the clip.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
greg21040
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:

Looking forward to your video!
Wait until you hear that Agency Power intake! You can hear the turbo scream. My old lady neighbor said the car sounds like an airplane! lol
I put a Dinan on and can't hear it near as much. I just put it on because it is sealed off from the engine compartment heat (getting hot here in MD).
      06-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
BPAC306
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240I X

anyone want to sell me their stock mid pipe , or trade my non - resonated one?

12.3 @ 108 Stock
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubingchamp View Post
Perfect!

I’m taking it to the shop tmw at 9am so we’ll hear soon

Do you have any sound clips of yours? curious to hear the dinan midpipe and agency power together (not patient enough to wait till tmw afternoon to hear it in person lol)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Quote:

Do you have any sound clips of yours? curious to hear the dinan midpipe and agency power together (not patient enough to wait till tmw afternoon to hear it in person lol)
I actually do not have any sound clips after the midpipe install. I did record one after the AP intake, but it's just on my phone.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
greg21040
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Perfect!

I'm taking it to the shop tmw at 9am so we'll hear soon

Here's the Agency Power CAI

06-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #14
greg21040
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Perfect!

Here's one of 200 cell VRSF downpipe with Dinan midpipe, Agency Power CAI, and BMW M Performance muffler.

06-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #15
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hey man any updates? How did the installs go?

On another point, I was wondering if I did aftermarket DP + stock mid pipe with resonators cutout and stock exhaust would it drone?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:41 AM   #16
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep

Quote:
Hey man any updates? How did the installs go?

On another point, I was wondering if I did aftermarket DP + stock mid pipe with resonators cutout and stock exhaust would it drone?
Since i’m getting the m performance diffuser painted white, they said the installation should take 3 days max since they have to do painting too. I brought it in on Wednesday morning so i’m expecting the latest to receive it as Saturday.

I recorded before sounds (cold start, eco comfort sport and sport+ revs along with sounds of the stock air box with the hood open) on a nice camera so that you can hear the differences clearly once i’m able to record the “after” videos. so expect me to upload the link to that video sometime sunday at latest as well.

As for whether or not this setup will cause drone, only time will tell
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep

Update: My car sounds like it is shaking the earth. Like it is so damn obnoxiously loud lol, i’m putting the cat back in and keeping the midpipe to see if that makes it better.

And i don’t mean loud as in it sounds like how my car did before but just louder now, it now sounds like a riced-mustang. Just sounds extremely cheap
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #18
greg21040
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: My car sounds like it is shaking the earth. Like it is so damn obnoxiously loud lol, i’m putting the cat back in and keeping the midpipe to see if that makes it better.

And i don’t mean loud as in it sounds like how my car did before but just louder now, it now sounds like a riced-mustang. Just sounds extremely cheap
That sucks. I know how it feels to do mods and eventually do things differently. I guess the cat makes a big difference. When I first did mine the cold start made me cringe! Besides that it sounds mean and like a super car.
Eventually I got a tune with the cold start delete.
Maybe give it a few days and see if it grows on you???
      06-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #19
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 6MT

So, my advice is put the stock midpipe back in and go with the downpipe only. I have just a downpipe and it sounds amazing. It seemed to amplify the noise by about 20% and enhanced the turbo sounds (spool and burbles). It sounds perfect to me with stock catback and a catless downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #20
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg21040 View Post
That sucks. I know how it feels to do mods and eventually do things differently. I guess the cat makes a big difference. When I first did mine the cold start made me cringe! Besides that it sounds mean and like a super car.
You were right. I turned off the cold start using bootmod3, threw on the stage 2 91 flash, and now it sounds like a super car in sport and sport+ mode. In eco pro, still sounds like a raspy go-cart, but in sport settings, it sounds sooo sick. Already from taking a nice PCH cruise and zooming through Newport Coast (beautiful Southern California city filled with super cars all over the roads), I've grown to switch my opinion on it. I think I'm keeping it
      06-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #21
greg21040
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg21040 View Post
You were right. I turned off the cold start using bootmod3, threw on the stage 2 91 flash, and now it sounds like a super car in sport and sport+ mode. In eco pro, still sounds like a raspy go-cart, but in sport settings, it sounds sooo sick. Already from taking a nice PCH cruise and zooming through Newport Coast (beautiful Southern California city filled with super cars all over the roads), I've grown to switch my opinion on it. I think I'm keeping it
Nice!!!! Yeah, man...the WOT grew on me within a few days. I just couldn't get past the cold start. Starting it grocery store parking lots would get me evil looks lol.
      06-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #22
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep

https://youtu.be/1x-D4DeQMbQ

The video is done!!! comparison of stock m240i versus how it sounds now with VRSF downpipes, Dinan Midpipe, AP Short Ram Intake, and BM3 Stage 2 91 flash.

Showing comparison for startup, eco pro, comfort, sport, sport+, and shots of the intake sound with the hood open (basically everything you need to hear except from inside the cabin).

Enjoy